Wednesday, March 30, 2011

American Idol-Top 11...Again

Because the judges used their save last week and we all witnessed the Oscar winning "Most Dramatic Performance by an Idol Contestant that Won't Win Anyway" by Casey, there were 11 people performing again. Since two go home tomorrow, I assume Idol bent the rules and will allow 11 on the tour instead of 10. Or if the bus is now smaller due to the shrinking economy and ridiculous gas prices, maybe only nine are going. In other housekeeping news, years ago on my Idol blog I outed myself for my "no longer a secret" Seacrest crush. This year I must say I have a crush on J-Lo. I have been discussing J.Lo with many of my friends and we all think she is looking much better than we've seen in a long time. I love that tonight her nail polish matched a dress I could never pull off. I am in love with her make up artist because her lipstick/gloss always looks amazing (obviously not done by the same artist who did Haley's make up a few weeks back). I also must say hair extensions are pretty amazing. Anyway, I'm slightly girl crushing on J. Lo. I even like her new song. But, "don't be fooled by the rocks" that she got... Anyway...Elton John night. So much to say. So much to say. Let's get to it.



  1. Scotty-I cannot believe my sister-in-law really fast forwards the DVR through him. Chris-you must stop this madness! (And Chris I also can win some money in your NCAA pool if UConn gets in so make sure you are aware of my new address). The guy is very good. While taking notes on his performance I happened to stop looking at the TV and seriously the guys sounds 40 not 16. He sang "Country Comfort" and shouted out to his grandma. The sap in me immediately started tearing up. Tearing because it was so adorable and tearing because my mother, I promise, will never go to Hollywood to hear Preston sing on the Idol stage. I've said this before. Pres is awesome. Pres likes to sing. Pres sings much like I do. Deduction----Pres sucks at singing. Sorry mom. Here's hoping for a grandma shout out during law school graduation.

  2. Naima-a "reggae swag" (her line, so not mine) version of "I'm Still Standing." I'm pretty confident she may not be standing after tomorrow night. Her idea to morph into Lauryn Hill and perform this song was not the best decision. Nor was her choice of outfit. That was such a "cruise" ship performance if I ever heard one. Terrible. I understand why Bobbi and Brooke were all over this and posting to my Wall before I started watching.

  3. Paul- "Rocket Man" Paul pulled out his rose jacket again tonight. I suppose when one who was touring in a van that looks like it would only be driven by private investigators or pedophiles, goes and spends $4500 on a white suit with embroidered roses, you have to rock it more than once. Thankfully for Paul he's not that important or US Weekly would be all over this fashion faux pas ASAP. I always wondered how celebs do it. I mean I love my black 3/4 length cardigan. I may wear it multiple times a month. Thankfully I, much like my buddy Paul, am not famous, so I guess I can rock on with my repeated cardigan. The judges loved Paul. I personally thought tonight Paul sounded like James Blunt. If James Blunt was undergoing a hammertoe operation with just not enough anesthesia.

  4. Pia- I'd love to see Pia duet with Lea Michel from Glee. I think Lea is much better, but Pia certainly can give a good run. She was told to try something other than a ballad, so she tried another ballad. She did say next week she'd rock it so I'm looking forward to seeing what that means. I'd also love to know what Jimmy meant when he said she needs to sing somewhere between Fergie and Axl Rose. Truly I have absolutely no idea what that means. And I love Fergie. And if you knew me when I was younger, you know I was a huge GN'R fan and I'm still confused.

  5. Stefano-"Tiny Dancer" I know in an old Idol blog I mentioned the funniest episode of King of Queens was when Doug thought the lyrics were "Hold me close I'm Tony Danza." Ever since then I can never listen to this song without singing it that way. I also think it's kind of uncanny how much his dad really looks like Howie Mandell....and they both are kind of nerve grating in that lovable way..no?

  6. Lauren-"Candle in the Wind" I like Lauren. I was such a huge fan of her in Hollywood, but I totally think she is terrible singing in front of any audience. She was faster than the piano and many of her notes fell flat. I am sure when the judges watch it back, not live, they will agree. I want her to be better because she has a great voice.

  7. James-James was totally into the hair and make up glam session to help him look more like Adam Lambert. Then he performed and pulled out every trick in one performance to try to out do Adam. We had microphone stand tossing (grunge era), Stomping clapping with the audience (a' la Bruce Springsteen-yet James does not have the backside Bruce does), we had a semi crotch grab (a' la MJ) and we had some pyrotechnics setting the piano on fire. I mean at this point to rile James up they should have brought back Hulk Hogan from last week...maybe throw in Mr. T for good measure. He even walked down Ryan's "Beauty School Drop Out" staircase. (another old line pulled out of storage).

  8. Thia-Props to my friend Carol who found Thia's necklace from last week. The necklace retails for $675. I was considering it. Mel told me she wouldn't be my friend if I spent $675 on a necklace that is such a conversation piece I'd probably wear it twice, three times tops. I still want it. Really bad. Something else that was really bad was Thia's performance of "Daniel." I fast forwarded through most of it. I did laugh at the lines prior to her performance, "Forget everything from when you were a little girl" and "When I was younger..." Um...you're 8 years old.

  9. Casey -"Your Song" This is my favorite Elton song. I even love this song more because it was in one of my favorite movies, Moulin Rouge. I'm really over Casey. It was fun at first. I dug the bass. I dug the Seth Rogen-ness. Then he trimmed the beard. Dude-if you're on a win streak you don't trim the beard. I also can't get over the nauseating display of enthusiasm after being saved last week. Over...it.

  10. Jacob- "Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word." I have no words better than my dear friend Karen's Facebook status of the night after Jacob's performance, "It's amazing what tonight's episode has done to me. Listening to Jacob's beautiful voice makes me want to go to church and looking at Steven Tyler makes me want to...well...let us pray." I can't top that. I have nothing.

  11. Haley- In an old Randy-ism he had not said this season, "You blew it out the box!" Haley was fantastic tonight. She was so into her performance she was able to sit on the piano James had just lit on fire a few minutes back. The only criticism I have for Haley is perhaps next week rethink wearing your "People of WalMart" flowered spandex to rehearsal. Just saying. My picks to go home: Naima and Casey.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

FIRST! (Take that Katie)

Anna is still not liking Scotty. She verily dislikes his cockiness.

How come no one said this to Naima:"Where the hell did that Jamaican accent come from?" Really,that was the worst Jamaican accent since Brad Pitt tried to pull one off while playing death in Meet Joe Black. Yea, I watched that movie, all three hours of it. Which, not to go off on a tangent, but what happened to Claire Forlaini? She was hot. I digress.

When Paul broke out Rocket man, I was hoping he was going to go full Shatner on it. Rocketman!,burning out there....Alone!. Would have been awesome.

Knock Knock....
Who's There?
Michael Jackson and Elton John
Michael Jackson and Elton John who?
(Sing it aloud)
Please let your son, go down on me.

My favorite interpretation of Tiny Dancer - "Who's the Boss, it's Tony Danza"

Lauren lost her earpiece and was off the tempo, and it was bad.

I hated Adam Lambert the first time he was on the show, and I still dislike him.

Thia - well, she was bad. Very bad. But seeing that she's like 15, i probably shouldn't talk crap.

Kim, you are over Casey? For realsies? And he had to trim the beard, he lost last week. Rule of the beard Kim.

I don't care what your friend thought of Jacob, he was bad. He was however, the most excited about the new clothes. He was sssssssssuper fab!

Haley is fine. She can sing on my piano anyday. And no, that isn't a euphemism for my weiner.

JoshS said...

Haley can sing on my piano anytime too. No disclaimer. She's really getting better and better.

Continuing my reverse order...
I can't listen to or look at Jacob. I really cannot stand him. I want to like him but I really just cant take him.

I agree, Casey's a horror show. I was annoyed that they saved him, and more annoyed at the theatrics of that whole charade.

I'm willing to admit that the song Daniel has actually brought me to tears many times. Tonight was no different. I really don't think she was bad, but maybe I was caught up in the moment.

James and the flaming piano, VERY Glambert... good nonetheless. Interesting that he's got all these ticks, but not when he's performing.

Lauren is a timing disaster. And She comes off as either really dumb or really obnoxious. Either way, I wont remember her when she's gone.

Pia's money in the bank, but why does she look so much older than the rest of them?

I have nothing to say about Paul, except Buh bye...

Ya Mon! Where the hell did she get that accent is a great question! Yikes!

Don't squash your kid's dreams!! maybe he can be one of those really horrible, but cute/funny audition week people.... give the kid a chance! As for Scotty, well baby lock the doors and turn the lights down low....

Katie Jaye said...

Oooooo Pher totally Tosh.O-ed me! Very funny comment Pher. Love the Meet Joe Black reference.

Now for Kim's awesome entry:

Had no idea Anna hated Scotty! I think he might win the whole thing. Though I would have countried up a different song but it sounded nice overall.

I kinda liked Naima's choice to go reggae. Steve thinks that Sublime would have done it better.

Ha! Maybe if Paul had Dr. T doing the anesthesia he would have been better. He's got such white teeth it's almost distracting.

I felt like Pia was screeching on some of the notes. Maybe I just liked Clay's version better or George Michael's or I don't know, Elton's.

LOL Howie Mandel. Kim are you going to watch the flash mob? Looks like fun and will probably only last a few weeks.

Weird thing is, I found Lauren's performance the best tonight. I think she has a beautiful country voice and I agree with the judges that it was her best yet.

BWAHAHAHA I like the "beauty school drop out" line. Glad you used it again. I thought when James looked at the flames and pretended to make them higher with his hand is when I stopped watching and started writing in my BLOG again.

Kim, just ask mom for Thia's necklace, she'll get it for you.

I still like Casey a lot and he was good but Ewan McGregor sings it the best.

I didn't really pay attention to Jacob's performance. I'm not sure why because he's good but I think I lost interest at this point.

Hayley's performance was my second fave of the night. I really hope she sticks around.

I thought the girls brought it tonight. Bottom three: Stefano, Thia, and James. James is staying.

mejane said...

I agree with you on most things: Naima, Paul, and Thia are my bottom three (in that order). I totally agree with you on Naima's cruise ship performance and I actually said the same thing to my husband. Just like the judges thought her performance was corny, I thought her outfit was corny-atrocious, actually.

Ha! I love the idea of a Lea-Pia or Pia-Lea duet.
Speaking of girl crushes, I think I have one on Pia. That girl is gorgeous and I love her style. She kinda looks like Chantal the funeral director on The Bachelor, but a glamed-up version.

So glad Haley is finally getting some recognition. I knew she had great potential.

The best comment of the night (for me) comes from my 5 year old son when, referring to J-Lo's earings, randomly said "mommy, you could fit through those hoops!"

Greene Family said...

Scotty is still one of my top picks, and I agree that if you are not looking at the TV, he sounds 40 and not 16. It does bug me the way he holds the microphone though.
Haha - I remember that episode on King of Queens and remember you commenting on "Tiny Dancer" before! I agree about Stefano's dad.
I don't remember if I commented before, but yes James is an Adam Lambert wannabe.
Naima and Thia had awful performances.
I do still like Casey . . . maybe because I missed the episode of him being saved?!
I thought Haley had a great performance too.