Wednesday, March 23, 2011

American Idol-Top 11

Motown Night.  And big night. Because the one voted off tomorrow cannot go on the tour.  Recall that only the top 10 go.  Apparently there is not room for the other three that made it to the top on the tour bus.  Sucks to be them.  So a lot of pressure to “bring it” tonight.  First a few housekeeping items: I cannot stand the faux 20/20-esque interview at the beginning with Ryan asking questions to the judges as if they are off the cuff and they all answer, ‘Why yes Ryan…see…” So put on.  So rehearsed.  If we cut that out along with the trying-to-be-candid-but-not-succeeding, Coca Cola promotions, the show would be 30 minutes shorter.  Second, J Lo’s pink sequined dress rivaled the one I wore to my junior prom.  This sparked my Facebook status desperately pleading with the St. Anthony/Harborfields girl who remember the store in the Walt Whitman Mall circa 1994-1996 that sold dresses next to the Wall (remember that record store) and Lerner before it was NY&Co.  We have narrowed it down to Pzazz. What a fun trip ladies tonight down memory lane!!!! Anyway J-Lo wore my dress with her Smurfette eye shadow which was just horrendous. 

Casey-“Heard it Through the Grapevine.”  I cannot seriously ever listen to this song ever since the late 80’s explosion of the California Raisins.  I loved the California Raisins so much my mother bought me candles (from Wicks n’ Sticks, also in said Walt Whitman Mall) that were shaped like California Raisins.  Anyway, Casey slicked down his hair and in a way he reminded me a little of Milton from Office Space.  I laughed when he warbled “lose my mind” at the end of the song like Axl Rose warbled “knees” in “Welcome to the Jungle.”

Thia-This performance sparked an idea. I think there should be an Idol store.  If you like a particular article of clothing the contestant is wearing or in my case with Thia tonight, her necklace with matching bracelet and earrings; one should be able to find out where to purchase the same stuff.  It annoys me when I love something and cannot find it.  When George W. Bush won a second term, Jenna Bush had A-MAZ-ING green pumps on that to this day I would pay good money to find. (I spent one full day scouring the Internet to no avail).  So if anyone knows where I can get Thia’s jewelry…She sang “Heatwave.”  She maybe heard this song in her grandparents’ car.  Considering she is like 12, her parents aren’t even listening to songs that old.  I think she sounded really good tonight. Rock on Thia. Rock on.

Jacob-I liked Jacob tonight.  Even though his jacket didn’t fit.  It’s as if he went to one of those shwa shwa restaurants and forgot a jacket and they take you back to a little room with some wool burnt umber colored suit jackets that smell of mothballs and give you one so you look appropriate (yet now ridiculous in an ill fitting garment).  He really sang his song, ‘You’re All I Need” really really well. 

Lauren-Loving the flat iron.  She sang, “Keep Me Hanging On.”  I hope she can hang on, because she wasn’t all that great.  Not to mention that dress made her look like a pregnant zebra.  Epic fail on that one.  Too bad Pzazz is out of business.

Stefano-Gordon Ramsey ripped his mom’s pasta.  That was kind of mean.  Poor Stefano’s mom.  Yet the ripping from Gordon was less painful than her son having the audacity to sing my all time, hands down FAVORITE Lionel song.  My obsession with Lionel is long lived.I don’t know how to convey it.  My brother once borrowed Mel’s mother’s cassette tape and endlessly listened to “Dancing on the Ceiling” that day about 254 times.  We taught Pres to dance to “All Night Long.” And I know Mel joins me in some loving of “Say You, Say Me.” (the part when it gets really fast….then slows down….because “you are a shining star”). Katie and I love “Hello.”  In fact, just this morning my sister texted me and wrote, “Just texting to say hello-Lionel style.”  We sing this song at the top of our lungs (and our mom still loves us).  Lionel with his soul glow hair.  And so when I saw this picture on Facebook and that Katie posted to my wall tonight I literally died laughing.

Lionel-Richie-Is-Missing

That just may be the funniest thing I have ever seen.  And Stefano took the song and in his love for J Lo totally Marc Anthony'-ied it and blew it.  As my mother said after his performance, “Good bye.”

Haley-How much did her crimped hair probably rebel that flat iron job?  She looked great and I have to say she sang “You Really Got a Hold on Me” very well.  I am sad that she still may go because I don’t think she has the following that some of the others have, but she deserved the praise tonight.

Scotty-So Scotty made a pretty sweet shot from the balcony of the mansion into the basketball net.  Perhaps if Scotty played for Louisville they would have won and my bracket would not be in the pathetic shamble it is.  (MOREHEAD freaking STATE?  REALLY?) Just saying.  His country version of “For Once in my Life” was really good.  I mean a country guy signing Motown is pretty hard. Props to Scotty.

Pia-My friend Brooke is right-her arm movements are constant.  J.Lo read my thoughts calling her a Celine Dion type singer.  Except much prettier.  And she’s from Queens.  So she wins.

Paul-According to my brother’s comment last week, Paul is in a band.  Apparently his band sucks…according to my brother.  Randy also read my thoughts with calling him Rod Stewart.  Literally my notes said, “Rod Stewart mixed in with his James Blunt tonight.”  I even though he was trying to be a bit Paul Simon.  And yes I take notes…

Naima-I saw one verse of Naima.  Because those National Weather Service tests you hear on the radio, actually came across my television during the performance.  Apparently there is to be deadly lightening in my area….as opposed to that other type of lighting that won’t harm you if you happen to be struck.  I did catch the end of her song and her dance.  I loved her dancing.  It surprised me since recall two weeks ago she did that awful Elaine dance.  She was really entertaining!

James-Why does no one else see that this is such an Adam Lambert wannabe?  Why am I still using the term wannabe?  Anyone have a good synonym for that?  

I think Haley and Lauren are in trouble.  Until next week……

5 comments:

JoshS said...

Great wrap up Kim... my few thoughts:
I agree with almost all of your reviews... except Thia. She stinks, although was a little less stinky today.
Lionel Richie totally has soul glow hair in that picture.
Stefano sucked.
If you close your eyes when Paul is singing you just might think it's macy gray.
I have been saying James is an adam lambert wannabe since I first saw him... I thought his interpretation of the song living for the city, a tragic heart breaking song, was a little to light and fluffy,,, and the facial ticks are killing me, but that's my own character flaw.

Erin M. said...

Oh my God, Kim, you got Pzazz and Wicks and Sticks into a single post. You're like a mid-90s Long Island goddess.... <3

Katie Jaye said...

Ha! I remember that dress! I tried to recall the name of the store but could only think of Estelle's Dressy Dresses when thinking about prom dresses.

I liked the slick back look Casey was sporting but I think it's time he trims back the beard a bit. It's getting very "Amish Paradise".

I agree, I think Thia sang it well and I loved her outfit tonight. I feel like Idol has come a long way since the first season. None of them dressed this nicely.

BWAHAHAHA You're really funny about the jacket on Jacob. Steve absolutely loved his performance tonight. He said Jacob was so in his element.

LOL Zebra. I have to admit, I liked the dress. I like hippie-ish stuff like that. I liked that she talked about people being ruthless and mean about her and I agree, people shouldn't say hurtful things just because they don't like her singing style. They're probably just jealous of her because she's got talent and they're sitting at home with chips on their shirt.

Lionel is awesome, especially Hello. Stefano took a gamble tackling that song because David Cook totally rocked it out. How do you compete with that?

Gordon Ramsey is such a douche. That was totally uncalled for.

Hayley's voice sounded wonderful. I hope she can hang on tonight because she really does have a sexy soulful voice.

LOL to your bracket even though I am totally out as well. Scotty did a real nice job. I think he's got a career in country regardless how this pans out for him on Idol.

Pia is really good and beautiful. She'll be fine tonight.

Paul's in a band? I must talk to Pher.

Naima's African dancing is very good. It's definitely a hard style of dance but she knows how to connect with it very well.

I didn't even listen to James. I think it kind of bored me. I was too busy writing my own BLOG to have an opinion on him.

Funny entry as usual, Kim! Bottom three: Stefano, Hayley, and Lauren. I want to send Stefano home but it will probably (unfortunately) be Hayley.

Anonymous said...

A few quick notes. Hope Hailey stays around because she is by far the best looking one on the show. Pia is a close second.

I don't know Paul, he is a friend of a friend. This was second hand knowledge I was passing on. His version of tracks of my tears, which is a great SMOKEY song, almost sounded like "Free Fallin" by Tom Petty. Listen to the guitar again.

I did not like Jacob singing All I need to get by, as that is a duet, and even though he can sing both parts, the male and femal, I hate when people try to sing a duet by themselves. It's like the one loser at Karaoke singing SUmmer Lovin by themselves, and turning around between the verses as if they are two separate people. He should have worn half a dress and half a suit. Probably wouldn't be the first or last time he will wear a dress.

Whenever I hear Hello? I think of family guy and Peter sitting on the bed listening to the song going, who hurt you? who hurt you? FUnny stuff. Great picture by the way.

And a better synonymn for wannabe - dick rider. However, it you tell Casey to stop dick riding Adam lambert, it could be taken a different way.

Greene Family said...

Your Idol blogs always make me laugh! :)
Ok, all I could picture was the California Raisins commercials while Casey was singing!
That would be great - an Idol store so that you know where you can purchase the same jewelry and clothing!
I like watching Gordon Ramsey's shows, but that was just rude what he said about Stefano's mom's pasta.
Oh my - that picture of Lionel is hilarious!
I really liked Pia (she's beautiful and has a beautiful voice), but then her arm movements really started bugging me.
Haha - I had no idea that there was a difference in deadly lightening and just ordinary lightening.
I was glad to see a non-Elaine dance from Naima and was actually surprised by how entertaining she was!
Thanks for the laughs!!