Saturday, March 12, 2011

Soccer Mom to Mom’s Sanctuary

Preston started soccer.  I never thought Preston would play soccer.  No one in my family ever played the sport.  Being from Long Island, more kids tended to play baseball or softball.  So I have ventured into new territory-as did my mother who took Pres to his first practice with shin guards over the pants.  How did we know?  I was going to sign him up for T-ball.  We went to sign up on the wrong day.  The night before I was to sign him up the following conversation took place at the dinner table.

Pres: I don’t want to play baseball.

Me: (dumbfounded) But why?

Pres: I’m not going to hit the ball that far.  I want to play soccer.

Me: Honey, some of the kids will have longer legs and they will run faster.  

Pres: Ok. I’ll play baseball (sigh) 

PAUSE for approximately 10 seconds.

Pres: You know what mom?  I CAN run fast.  I am a really fast kid.  I can run. I’m playing soccer.

It was in that moment that I learned a lesson from my five year old.  That nothing is impossible.  That you can do anything you want-it may be slightly harder, but you can do it.  I wasn’t trying to discourage.  I just felt that with his legs being shorter (because he is right, he’s fast) he’d have a harder time keeping up.  Today was the first game. He had the world’s biggest smile on his face.  He played hard and laughed and cheered. The only pitfall was he was hit in the nether regions once by the ball.  He did get tired by the last quarter.  Here are some pics:

IMG_6481

 IMG_6480

IMG_6484

IMG_6487

IMG_6478

IMG_6489

IMG_6495

IMG_6496

Next week I’m snack mommy.  We also started the morning at Lowe’s.  In honor of March Madness, the kids made a basketball hoop.  We met up with Lisa and her son again today!

IMG_6468

IMG_6474

I also want to share pics of my room.  I still need artwork for my walls and I’m thinking a small chair for in between my two windows.  Katie and Charlie painted the room and bathroom.  I have a great garden tub in my bathroom too! In my apartment in New York, Preston only had a half bath.  While living with my mom and dad Preston and I shared the Jack and Jill bath.  It is so nice taking a bath with no bath toys!!!  I am so in love with my room! 

 IMG_6500

IMG_6502

IMG_6506

IMG_6509

IMG_6511

22 comments:

Jaime said...

Preston is so stinking cute in his soccer uniform! I love it!! Looks like he had a absolute blast out there.

I love your room too!

The Johnson Family 5 said...

Oh my you little soccer mommy! I'm a little jealous I must admit! I don't think Cole is ready for a sport, but I can't wait to see him all dressed up! Preston looks Ah-dorable in his uniform!!

Sandy said...

You go Preston!! You can do anything you want. I am so glad that he had fun.

Unknown said...

Yay Preston! So proud of you! I'm so glad he had a great time out there. And how awesome is he for knowing that he wanted to try soccer no matter what? I hope he has an awesome season. Your room looks gorgeous!

Unknown said...

I'm lying in bed this morning reading this and the tears are flowing with happiness because we have been so blessed with these angels, and yes they can do anything. Preston is absolutely beautiful, you go Preston.

mel said...

There are no words to describe how cute preston was!! so proud of my little man! but i dont know why you didnt get him into golf, i know this pro that has worked with some really famous people that could totally give him some pointers. Just a thought. Let me know. And the room looks amazing!

Katie Jaye said...

Kim, I got a little teary-eyed when I saw his HUGE smile on the soccor field. I called Steve over so we could look at the pictures together. We love all of them! He is so cute and he is having a blast! Preston has a fire inside him and he is determined to be the best. I love him so much. He's such a talented kid!

Unknown said...

Now that you have entered the domain of soccer mom just a word of advice .. heels don't work on the wet, grassy fields and remember snacks should be nutritious but me personally I'd go with the favorites i.e., Oreos.

Rosie said...

Kim, I love preston in his soccer uniform.. But then again he always looks great. My older girls play soccer and I always wonder if destiny would be able to play. This prove exactly what you said, they can play anything or do anything they want. I love the color you have in both your room and bathroom. Veery nice!!!!!

The Wymers said...

Preston is such a little stud! Love him in his uniform. Enjoy being a soccer mom, I'm *SO* jealous - neither of the girls have any interest in playing. If you have any questions about stuff, call me... I'll live vicariously through you! :P

Your room looks great too, yay for getting everything the way you want it!

babs said...

Kim--daddy & i just loved being a psrt of pres's first official soccer game--he was awesome and he is such a tropper and honestly noone had as big a smmile on theor faces as pres! You rock pres, pres-a note from daddy--he siad to let everyone know he hung all the curtains & blinds!

Alex said...

Great job Preston! It is so hard for us moms to find that balance between wanting to protect our kids and letting them experience things on their own.
You are doing great Kim!!!

Lisa Hedger said...

It's great seeing the pictures of Preston in his soccer uniform. We actually had almost the SAME EXACT conversation with Liz about soccer vs. softball. Bri doesn't like soccer and we thought she'd want to do softball. When we brought up the speed issue, her response was: "Mom it doesn't matter how fast you are, it just matters that you have fun." And, it certainly looks like Preston had fun!

Andrea said...

You're a soccer mom (to the cutest soccer player ever)! Yay! I always thought I'd be a soccer mom, but we're all about the baseball here. Oh, well!

Sarah said...

Kim, I love the pictures of Preston at soccer! He looks so happy and SO into it :) William played last fall and he is a TALL 5 year old, long legs and he was horrible :) It takes all kinds and I love that he wanted to do it and knew he could! What a great kid you have. Love your bedroom too! Love that bed frame! It looks so peaceful in there.

Amber said...

Pictures look like he kept up just dandy!! :) The one picture where they're all running and he's looking right at the camera is PRICELESS! Love it!!

And the bedroom/bathroom-absolutely gorgeous!!!!

Unknown said...

GOOOOOO Pres! He looks so cute in his soccer uniform. Your bedroom and bathroom are stunning! Wanna come redecorate mine????

Ever Changing said...

Awesome job on the first game! Looks like he had a blast! Loving how YOUR home is coming together!

Yiannakis Family said...

Love that big smile of Preston's face!! Great job mom! You are raising one very independent and strong-minded boy!

Erin M. said...

Kim, you and I seriously grew up on very different parts of Long Island because soccer is everywhere! Or maybe it only felt like it because Molly's been playing since she was younger than Pres. And soccer is all about being fast. He can play defense and use his size to his advantage, getting the ball away from the offense. He just needs to learn some good footwork. If he doesn't transition to another sport. But at that age, it's all about fun anyway. This said with the authority of a mom who got wrangled into coaching for six seasons. You think you're not a soccer mom? Do I really seem like a soccer coach???? Ohhh, the things we do for our kiddos.

Caden and Mommy said...

I love Preston's attitude and rationale about playing soccer. Aren't you SO PROUD of yourself for raising such a great boy ... good job Momma ;0)
I'm realizing in getting caught up on all these posts that the kids have two different color soccer jerseys. They go all out! Too cute!
... and your room, awesome!

Greene Family said...

I LOVE the soccer pictures!! Pres really looks like he had the best time out on the field! Seriously - he is just too much though with all of his reasoning! Love him!!! I want to hug him in that first picture!
Pres certainly is an amazing, strong, independent, happy boy, and he has you to thank for that! I admire you and the wonderful relationship the two of you have!!
Your bedroom is gorgeous and looks so peaceful!! I'm still so happy for you and Pres to have your own home!