Wednesday, March 25, 2009

AMERICAN IDOL-Week 3

Motown Night! Seriously though when is it going to be hair band ballad night? I know I have brought up this subject before. I am so ready for people to start belting out some Foreigner and Firehouse. Some "Every Rose has It's Thorn." I am also curious if they go with that theme who the guest person would be-and what advice would they give since unfortunately hair band ballads are no longer made. Which is a damn shame in and of itself.

This was an exciting trip for the Idols to Detroit and the four fans in Starter jackets waiting for them. Please that is not a shot at Detroit, just so sad that there were seriously like four people outside the local answer to 7-11 waiting for them to show. Then Smokey came to the Idol mansion to give his advice. One thing I LOATHE is the staged "impromptu" group song that correlates to the theme of the week. Are we to believe that the Idols all sat around (with that eerie piano player again who just plays and plays and plays) and they all belt out a perfect Motown tune and when finished all high five and fist pump as if they are that amazing to get the harmony and melody right the first time? Right...and my ex might pay child support next month.

My count for the night was how many times DiaGuardi said "artistry." Three.

The Randy-ism "Dude you set it off on a tone." Now I am not even really sure Randy knows what this means. If anyone wants to take a gander at that one....

So the night started off with Matt signing "Let's Get it On." He is awesome. Totally always thought he had a great voice, but he was really really good! Although if he busted out with the Shaggy version and sang "Mr. Boombastic" I would love him even more. (On a side note did anyone feel really let down when they found out Shaggy really does not have that Jamaican accent? So disappointing. It was akin to the whole Milli Vanilli thing for me). Anyway, my favorite comment for Matt was Randy who stated, "This is what I love about tonight." I totally didn't get this either since Matt started off the night and there was nothing to compare it to. All that happened prior to Matt was you walked out. Whatever. Paula also told Matt he was comfortable behind the piano and away from the piano...as opposed to Scott who Paula feels truly needs to stop using that piano as a crutch. (Hint of sarcasm)

Kris-What was with the Jean Valjean prison numbers across his shirt? Pretty awful. I thought he was o.k. tonight. They want him to have "swagger." That word totally gets me thinking about that "Paper Planes" song. Which you all know I love.

Scott-Seriously was the person dressing him also visually impaired? Give the poor guy a break-those pants were God awful and he should get to give someone in wardrobe a beat down. They left Lil alone tonight so figured they would screw with Scott. Unfortunately for Paula, the stage crew did not hook lines to him and have him fly off like Peter Pan across the stage. What they could do to satisfy Paula's need for Scott to perform for her, is hook his piano to one of those flying stages a 'la Tommy Lee in Motley Crue's "Same Ol' Situation" video. Let him fly high above all the tweens in the audience. (Speaking of videos who remembers videos? I really miss MTV and Kurt Loder). I love Scott and hope he goes far in this competition. He, like myself is also single and looking for that perfect "fit." Rock on Scott.

Megan-For the love of everything holy-does anyone else watch her dance and think she looks just like Baby's sister from Dirty Dancing doing that end-of-summer routine before Johnny and Baby bust on stage? She is just the worst dancer and tonight the worst singer. You know you sucked too when randy starts off with, "Ok so you know I have mad love for you right?"

Anoop-I can't not love this guy. Other than needing an eyebrow wax, Anoop is totally awesome. I was also digging his jacket and think a smaller one would fit nicely in Preston's wardrobe.

Michael-Nice guy but it is time to go Mikey-boy. You might of saved yourself if you sang TLC's "Ain't to Proud to Beg."

Lil-Smokey totally used the "You can sing the phone book" line the judges love but I must say I don't care what the judges said she ROCKED. She looked the part, dressed the part and sang the part. I am not quite sure why they were so harsh on her tonight.

Adam-Elvis sings Motown. They love Adam. They love his artistic spin but when it comes down to it, I don't know what his album would be about. He is like a variety show. That is why I think Broadway would be the way for him, of course I don't know how they would close up the massive earlobe holes, but that would be for the make up people behind the scenes at Wicked to contend with.

Danny-I really don't have a lot to say other than you guys know where he is placed in this competition for me. He is feeling no pressure right now. He is not getting the boot and if he did for some reason the judges would save him at this point. Danny and his spectacles are sitting pretty.

Allison-Wow. Seriously this girl is growing on me. She had no business being in the bottom three last week. The only problem she had tonight was agreeing to wear the white pleather shrug. She was insanely good. I feel like that last line sounded like something DiaGuardi would say.

My pick to go home: Michael Sarver. Megan is probably safe for only one more week.

6 comments:

Mike Mallinson said...

Sadly I saw some of this thanks to Cherylle and her brother, so I actually understand some of what you're talking about.

On the other hand, what, no Preston pic for the non-AI fans? I feel robbed! LOL

Whatever you do, don't put the blame on you... blame it on the rain, yeah-ah! Man, those guys rock!

Danielle said...

thanks for the commentary! we missed a lot of it b/c we were watching scrubs and better off ted. I agree, i think michael is in trouble...i do like him though. i also really like allison - she can really sing!
One thing that bugs me about the judges though - they rag on everyone else about "staying true to who you are as an artist, blah blah blah", but then Adam does just the opposite and it's like "that was AWESOME". I just don't get it. Not that he wasn't good, this week he was...but they should have called him out like they do others.

Danielle said...

thanks for the commentary! we missed a lot of it b/c we were watching scrubs and better off ted. I agree, i think michael is in trouble...i do like him though. i also really like allison - she can really sing!
One thing that bugs me about the judges though - they rag on everyone else about "staying true to who you are as an artist, blah blah blah", but then Adam does just the opposite and it's like "that was AWESOME". I just don't get it. Not that he wasn't good, this week he was...but they should have called him out like they do others.

Greene Family said...

I always get a good laugh from reading your American Idol commentary! I agree about Randy - I wonder how much of anything that he says on that show that he really knows what he is saying himself.
No Preston picture for the week?? I guess I'll have to patiently wait for your next post to see pictures of the handsome Preston! :)

coffee said...

they saved the best for last this week -- Adam, Danny and Allison, all in a row

Laura Wolf said...

Right on!! LOL!!!