Sunday, March 1, 2009

100th Post-So I Went on a Date.....

100th Post! What a milestone! I was going to do the Top 100 things that annoy me, even had Mel helping me out, but did not want to bore everyone...oh you want to hear about the date...

So I went on a date. It's been almost three years since my separation and subsequent divorce. It's been a roller coaster three years. To give you an example of how long it's been since it has become just Preston and Mommy-here is Preston about one week before his wonderful father took off.
I know, I mean really who can leave this adorable face? I don't care if you hate me-look at him! (Although in the word's of my ex husband he never left Preston he left me-semantics, semantics). No need trying to figure out that which can never be figured out. Since my divorce I went out a few times with an old friend from work, but nothing serious. Then I knew I would be moving to Virginia way before I gave notice at work, so I did not want to start a relationship only to have one of two things happen: 1) break it off to move to Virginia like I had planned or 2) not break it off and stay in New York. I wanted to give it the ol' college try here in the VA so I chose not to get involved. Until my friend here in Virginia started hinting that a single friend of his was interested in meeting me for dinner.

I agreed to do the couples dinner-meaning my friend, his wife and this guy who we will nickname X. X was someone who had job security, liked his family, no issues with my status as a single mom. So far so good right? I saw a grainy Facebook profile picture while I know my friend showed X all my pictures on my profile. He still wanted to go out so this was a good sign. I stressed over my outfit, jewelry got my eyebrows waxed that day. And then there was the meeting. We met, made small talk and were all seated at the table.
First thing X did was comment on the shape of someone's head. Nice-I'm thinking maybe you can talk about Preston's heart shaped head? I mean the very first thing you do is make fun of someone? I am not going to sit here and pontificate that I have not made fun of someone. I have. I think we can all say we have done this, however this is supposed to be a first "date." Ok so I think maybe he is nervous I'll let it go. Then halfway through the meal he tells me about a witness he has to question and then proceeds to use a not so PC term. Suffice it to say that the guy then put me off for a comment about the handicapped. I just could not get over it. Perhaps because I curse like a sailor and totally did not even use the word "damn." I am thinking that on the first date you may not want to show these particular traits. And to be honest I was not attracted anyway. You need some form of attraction and although people can grow on you (hence my Ryan Seacrest crush), after the comments I knew I could not do dinner alone with X. Apparently he was upset that I thought that of him and wanted to explain himself, but there was no need since I did not see us as a good match anyway. I think he is a nice guy, just bad first date ethics.

I applaud myself for trying. I also think I am not good at showing signals to someone I may be attracted to. I feel I have been out of the game so to speak for so long! I really don't want to do Internet dating because frankly it frightens me. I feel maybe now that I am starting a new job I will meet more people and maybe that special person. Is it that hard to meet a really nice person, willing to love not only me but this?

(Must give credit to Aunt Melski for the shirt-and apropos too)! There was someone else I had been interested in, but I guess my signals were not all that apparent. Hence why I decided to go on this date. Maybe I need the straightforward tactic like I used to use in my pre-marriage days? Ok the date was not a total disaster-it got me out there again. So I am proud of myself for that alone!

In other news, Aunt Pat, who is also my godmother, came for a few days this week and we had so much fun. Since I took off this week before starting my new job, it was nice to have her and my mother around to spend time with! Preston loved having my Aunt Pat here, even though he never says "Aunt Pat" just "Pat." I really miss seeing her pretty much weekly so now these visits are very special. Because my mother was in New York last week, Preston had not seen my dad for two weeks. To celebrate Papa took us all out to Glory Days for dinner last night!
Got to love that Sheriff and Mater also came out with us! Now if you really want that list of things that annoy me though-I will not disappoint!


16 comments:

Becky said...

Way to go getting out there again Kim! Sorry the date didn't go so well! But I suppose you have to go through a few of those before you find someone good. Although we've never met in person, you've been so supportive and friendly through our blog! You are beautiful and have an son who anyone would have to love! I understand your fear of the internet dating thing. It would scare me too. Some day soon you'll meet someone who will love you and Preston both!

Great pics of the handsome little dude! That shirt in the second one is awesome!

Tonya said...

Kim, You know my response about the date...shake it off, the right one will come soon!!

The 100th post!! CONGRATS!! It is more work than one bargins for but hey, it's worth it!! Thank you for blogging!!!

Pres is ADORABLE as ever AND I can't wait to meet you guys in person!

Much Love!

Destini said...

I'm totally down with 100 things that annoy you...mostly becuase they are probably the same 100 things that really really freakin annoy me! Congrats on putting your toe into the water...I wouldn't even know where to begin! You are beautiful, a great mommy, have a great job, what's not to love? Get some confidence built up, and go for it!

Caden and Mommy said...

Kim!
Congrats on the 100 post and I am anxiously awaiting for your next post ... 101 things that annoy you. Will you include in that 101 things - nurses that loudly barge into the room when your son is sleeping?! I know it doesn't annoy just me.
As far as the dating ... I'm not worried that you will find a great guy. Congrats on going on a date - sorry the dude was a looser. For now continue to enjoy your Preston and Mommy time! Sometimes I feel like men aren't worth the trouble :0)
Adorable pictures of Preston as always ~ I LOVE the shirt! and think it is so cute he chose to bring his "friends" with him!
Trisha

Unknown said...

I've told you before that you are such a good person and that who wouldn't want to have Preston in their life. Believe me, the right one will come when you least expect it. I dated so much before actually meeting my husband...it took me til I was 31 before I actually got married. My sister who is 50 (widowed after 25 years of marriage) just got back on the dating scene about a year ago and after some strange dates she finally found someone. It will happen. Love Pres in his adorable baby pic as well as the shirt he is sporting in the second photo.

Alex said...

Isn't it amazing how we have all become so much more sensitive about certain issues! I am right there with you, I would have been totally turned off by these kind of comments.
You are a wonderful person and I know you will find that special person, you will! Any guy would be lucky to have you and your beautiful son in their life!
Oh...and congrats on the 100th post!!

Danielle said...

Congrats on the 100th post! I love that picture of Preston...he is just too cute, as always! I think it's great that you braved it and went back out there...and I also think it's great that you stood by what you were feeling with the guy. If something puts you off that quickly, then you know it's not right. You really are a great woman with a wonderful son, and when the time is right (and probably when you aren't looking for it) it will happen.
Was that a corny post or what? :)

Jennjilla said...

Good for you for getting back in the saddle! You'll find the right person, and he'll fall head over heels for you and that cute little man of yours. :)

My real question is, though...WHERE DID YOU FIND THE MATER TRUCK?! My son is (totally) obsessed with Cars (please see birthday post)and we have found them all but Mater! I was beginning to think he didn't really exist. Mater is his favorite, too...I won't show him the pic of Preston - he will be so jealous!!

Mike Mallinson said...

Love Preston's shirt! And hey, anyone who can't tell immediately that Preston's adorable is a moron anyway... Good luck with the next one!

Unknown said...

AWESOME shirt on Preston! There are no words! Is it wrong that I kinda want to be single just so my son can wear that?? I'm so glad to hear you ventured out on a date, even if it didn't turn out so great. Good for you for being so attuned to that guy's ridiculous comments. What is it they say about having to kiss a few frogs first? The prince is out there! (Okay, an older, taller prince...I know you have your Prince Charming right there under your roof!)

Sarah said...

I'm sure it is hard getting back out there and dating, but doing it is the hard part! I watched my mom do it and she met a great husband and great dad for us, so don't give up! Preston is adorable as always. Gosh, I can't wait to get Will and him together some day! Mator, trucks, cars, trains! They could have a field day together. Although Will can be quite a brat these days....I wouldn't want him corrupting Preston :) I do want to hear the 100 list too :)

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you for going out!! Even though it was not a match, it is the hardest to take that first step!!!
I am so happy I get to see Mater-not just imagine him on the phone!
Enjoy the snow....

xoxoxoxoxox,
Marrah

Greene Family said...

Congrats on your 100th post! Congrats on dating again too! Sorry to hear the guy was a loser, but you'll meet the right one. As others have already said, you are beautiful and an amazing mom to a boy that people fall in love with at first site! That baby picture of Preston melts my heart - so adorable! I love Preston's big smile and his shirt from his Aunt Melski too! Good luck with your new job and future dates!
You should definitely post the 100 (or 101) things that annoy you!

The Johnson Family 5 said...

Way to get back out there! So sorry it isn't going to work, but now that you are back on saddle so to speak maybe Mr. Right is right around the corner!? Why must people always comment on things like head size around us LP parents?? wrong!!

Anonymous said...

Ha! Like the top 100 things that annoy you written by you and Mel could ever bore anyone! I'm sure it's friggin hilarious!

I'm proud you went out on a date and gave it a try. You'll definitely meet someone, Kim, you're hot and funny. A lethal combination.

And I think Preston's heart shaped head is the bees knees!

our little guy said...

You handle your date like a pro.. thinking I would of left at the dinner table.
Mason just loves Preston ABC Song. Always asked for more..

Teresa and Mason