Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I Lied-This is Really Idol Week 10

Once again I am not going to do a play-by-play critique, rather I will just input my two cents. First of all, Friday night my brother Chris (who totally should start a blog as his comments were quite comical this AI season), posed the following question, "If you were the judges what songs would you pick for each contestant?" Well this was certainly a fun game and Chris e-mailed me at work oday to remind me that no matter how awesome OUR choices were, the judges' picks would be lame. Here were some of our picks:

Casey- "My Wish" or "God Blessed the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts
Crystal-"Like a Rolling Stone" Bob Dylan or mine was "Don't Come Around Here no More" Tom Petty
Lee-"I'm on Fire" Bruce Springsteen or channeling my inner Glee was thinking "One" by U2.

Now the only judge that actually picked a good song was Simon for Lee. Lee's version of "Hallelujah" was by far my favorite performance by any contestant from the entire season. It was moving, it was sung amazing and he even topped himself from "Simple Man" which he chose. Chris, Katie my mother and I really believed that perhaps Casey would pull an upset, but after tonight I am convinced if Lee loses it's akin to when Ruben won Season 2 over Clay Aiken. And perhaps not since Clay Aiken singing "Bridge Over Troubled Water" have I been so moved by a performance on Idol.

So now that I think that Lee will be the next American Idol, I have a few other issues I'd like to address:
1) Randy wore that cardigan already this season. Preston would not tolerate a repeated outfit and on national television no less;
2) I've also decided that Casey to females is the equivalent to the Miss USA contestants to males. While watching said pageant last Sunday I almost vomited, project-ally might I add, listening to these women try to formulate an answer to a current events question. I was seriously waiting for, "Wait, like Bar-what? Who is the President now?" That's how painful it was. But the overwhelmingly amount of spray tan and silicone has males overlooking such trivial things such as a woman not having an opinion on some little oil spill right? Well watching Casey you kind of don't care how he sounds, he is that pleasing to look at. And that hair! I would do anything for hair that amazing in humidity.
3) Crystal singing "Amazing" by Paul McCartney was the stupidest song for her EVER. Sorry Ellen, but having her continually repeat a lyric, "I'm a man" is ludicrous. There were other McCartney songs. There was a Beatles catalogue. Would you have had Big Mike if he were still on sing Donna Summer and Barbara Streisand's "Enough is Enough?"
4) "Daughters" was a terrible song choice and Casey actually sounded better on his first song. But of course the judges thought it awesome since they picked it. Nevermind that it was not a good song choice for Casey at all.
5) My mother said she read an article how people felt this season was too much about the judges and not about the contestants. After tonight, considering the only portion of the home visits shown to the viewing audience was the front of a sponsoring AT&T store, I can see that point. There has been more commentary, more Ryan/judges banter, more Karaisms than I care to see. Perhaps the show would not lose viewers if we let the show be about the actual IDOL.
6) Every time Kara says "artist" or some variation on the theme I want to inflict pain on myself.
7) How cute was Lee's dad? He was so proud of his son. Considering I cried when my son had a pizza box on his head I can only imagine him rocking the house on American Idol (which won't happen. I have told you I love Pres more than life and Pres loves music but he cannot hold a tune). So I will cry on the day he graduates med or law school.

Lee stays and to be honest it's really who gets through on the phone lines. I would say Crystal is a shoe in, but Casey's fans may come on with a vengeance tonight.

2 comments:

Tinka said...

Wait a minute, I was not on the Casey boat. I like his voice, I think he's really good but I think Crystal and Lee have a little more sparkle. I have yet to hear a bad version of Hallelujah and I really really loved Lee's (more so than jason Castro's version and like Steve and I said, Thank you Shrek for reviving this song).

Any John Mayer song sucks. I think they picked it to push Casey out of the running.

I think they'll show more of the "home" stuff tonight. I like when they do that, it feels more real.

I still think Lee/Crystal final because they are both so amazingly talented.

Greene Family said...

I finally watched this today (now I just need to see who was voted off last week and watch tonight's finale . . . maybe tomorrow). I agree Simon's song choice for Lee was the only good one selected. I loved Lee's version of "Hallelujah"! I really liked hearing him sing "Simple Man" too! You and your brother should be judges! You two are hilarious and have much better song choices! Preston is too much - calling out Randy on his repeat cardigan . . . crack me up!