Tuesday, May 4, 2010

American Idol Week 8

This is going to be short and sweet tonight. It's my birthday so I feel as if I have "homework" to do by blogging when really I want to watch the new episode of Glee. Frank Sinatra night. Everyone loves Frank right? Well everyone except my Grandma Raab, bless her soul. Seriously. She did not like Frank Sinatra, which I did not even think was allowed during her time. I thought you were caned for that. Besides Grandma, everyone loved Frank. Especially my Pop-Pop, my mother's father. His favorite song was "My Way" and I am pretty sure both Katie and I had him light his candle at our Sweet 16s to that song (yes we had Sweet 16 parties. And yes there were candle lighting ceremonies---it's a blog entry in and of itself). Just in case you guys had no idea, I'm a Yankee fan. (Shocker right)? After every Yankee game "New York, New York" plays at the Stadium. If they lose, Liza sings, if they win, Frank sings. Fortunately Frank sings a lot. I played this repeatedly to Preston in utero. Second awesome thing about tonight was Harry Connick Jr. He is very Dick Clark-ish in that he does not age. Seriously he looks exactly as he did Will & Grace. Second he is just drop dead sexy. So this made it an enjoyable hour of television (OK, forty minutes since I DVR).

Aaron- sang "Fly Me to The Moon." Most of Sinatra's songs are big wedding band hits. And as I explained many moons ago, I worked at a catering hall in high school. (Catering halls in Long Island equals big weddings...big Italian weddings where there is always a Frank montage). This song brings me back to those sweet high school days where my concern was serve the cake, pray to hear Donna Summer's "Last Dance" and go party with the staff that consisted of Mel, Dennis, my high school boyfriend Derek, their best friend Jim and a ton of other guys and girls. A nice thought on my 25th (*32nd) birthday. Anyway, I think Aaron is adorable and personally I'd like to see him replace Justin Vomit Beiber. Also I noticed that Randy is reading my blog and took off his awful beaded necklace.

Casey "Blue Skies" I couldn't concentrate on Casey's performance because who can handle the eye candy overload of Casey and Harry together? Is there a woman alive who really cares what Casey sings? He can sing "Elmo's World" and I'll like it. The judges, however, pulled him apart. Perhaps because big band really isn't his "thing." It's akin to asking Frank to sing Creed.

Crystal "Summer Wind" I agree she was kind of boring but once again this really is not her genre. It appears she may be growing out her dreads. But she was not a convincing big band diva with the back tat and lip piercing.

Big Mike-"The Way you Look Tonight" Mike did very well. In fact I think this is the type of music he should sing. He was suave and did a good job.

Lee "That's Life" This was interesting for me. I personally did not think it was his best performance even though I love Lee. But true to form the judges and I never see eye to eye and Lee was their favorite, so go figure.

My pick to go: Unfortunately, I think it will be Casey.
And btw: as I type this, Frank is singing tonight at the Stadium.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tonight did feel awkwardly like wedding dinner night. That's usually when the band takes a break, thy flip on the "Gangland Hits" CD and you listen to Frank and Dean croon while you eat overpriced andovercooked filet mignon.

I have been surprised that they threw the gimmick nights toward the end of the season. Country night (Shania Twain) and Crooner night (Frank), while are definitely fun and enjoyable, seem to be screwing over the contestants. You can't change a Frank song, you can't make it country and you sure as hell can't make it your own, so why would they do a night like this, so close to the end. One thing they should never be saying around this time of the season, when it is down to the last five is, "This really isn't your style, but gold star for effort, even though it sucked. But don't worry, this isn't you or your genre, but since we effectively killed your shot at winning this thing with this night, you will never get a legitimate record deal and we will probably see you on celbrity rehab in about 4 years" The last four weeks should be billboard top 10 hits and you can choose the year. The gimmick nights should be for the beginning so as not to screw over the contestants.
Tonight by the numbers:
52 - Consecutive minutes Simon held on to Sinatra's handkercheif.
0 for 3 - Ellen on Piano/Organ jokes
4 - Number of contestats we will never hear from again after this show ends
.5 - Number of seasons the show will go on after Simon leaves

Unknown said...

I LOVE me some Harry Connick Jr. So adorable. He was an awesome mentor. I totally agree with the eye-candiness of Casey, although I was a bit perplexed as to why he was wearing his hair in a bun?? Was that a bit more dignified for Frank night? I'll miss him if he goes, but I do think you're right, that he may not make the cut. At least then he'll be free to play in his buddy's gig next Tuesday.

Greene Family said...

I love Harry Connick Jr. too! He is very easy on the eyes! He was a great mentor.
I agree - Harry and Casey was eye candy overload! :) I was worried that he would be the one going home after that night.