Tuesday, April 29, 2008

American Idol-Week 8

This show was so time strapped that I felt as if I did not even need my DVR. Five contestants, two songs each and the theme-Neil Diamond. I must say I was extremely disappointed that no one picked "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show" and danced a la David Spade in Lost &Found. Here is our recap.

Jason started the show with "Forever in Blue Jeans" and wore...blue jeans. What pissed me off was that he looks so much better than I do in jeans. His legs looked slim, he obviously does not have issues getting his thighs into them and his hips are not even a consideration. This never happens for me. I think the only thing worse than shopping for jeans is shopping for bathing suits.

Prior to David Cook's first number, Ryan told a story of having a station wagon (or stay wag) when he was younger. My parents had a blue stay wag when we were younger and the four of us literally almost drew blood to determine who would sit in that oh so safe back seat that faced the other cars in back of ours. The auto designers on this one really had child safety in mind didn't they? I mean did not one person envision the rear end collision? The possibility of multiple below-the-knee amputations? OK enough legal theorizing. David Cook honestly should just be crowned the winner now. I have an ulterior motive however for him becoming the American Idol. It has come out through the good people at TV Guide that David Cook is considering a duet with my main man Michael Johns. Anyone who supports the coming back of Michael gets my vote.

When Brooke sang "I'm a Believer" all I pictured was the final scene from Shrek with all the cartoon animals dancing and lip synching in the forest. Of course I could not take her seriously with visions of the gingerbread bread man dancing with Donkey floating through my mind. I also could not take her seriously in the denim version of the Seinfeld puffy pirate shirt.

Of course David Archuletta goes for "Sweet Caroline." I have some issues with this song. Well not so much the song as my issues with Neil. I liked it better when I did not know the song was inspired by anyone. When he finally broke his silence and told the world it was inspired by Caroline Kennedy I was cool with it. I mean she's a Kennedy for God's sake. But then Neil had to go on and say how he saw this picture of her as a little girl near a horse and she looked so cute, yada, yada yada and it suddenly felt a bit awkward. Think of the lyrics..."hands...touching hands...reaching out..." Anyone else feel a little AWK after that? He should have never brought up the horse. What annoyed me was the audience totally did not participate in the chorus so I sang along at home. Honestly this performance was so cheesy that it reminded me of something that would be sung on one of those after 7:00p.m. Disney Channel shows like Suite Life or Hannah Montana. Don't ask how I know about Disney after dark.

Syesha was pretty good but after both performances Simon thinks she'll be saying "Hello Again" to the bottom two. After her performance, Ryan gave the judges time to do a quick critique and this is where we found out Paula has lost it. She begins to critique Jason on both his songs, yet unless she has a Dolorean and traveled ahead fifteen minutes and then back, he has not yet performed. Even the audience was laughing and Ryan is looking off stage like, "WTF? Should we cut to commercial?" The judges thought Jason has lost the Jason from prior weeks. What I think is Jason has lost himself because Paula has stolen his secret stash and Jason is now totally stone cold sober for each show. Jason needs to toke and Paula needs to take her meds and the show will go on.

The second performances were OK, but honestly David Archuletta butchered "America." I really don't think the America card should put him through. Personally "America" is one of my favorite songs and of course is on the IPod. There is something so patriotic and awesome about Neil getting the audience to scream "Today" while he recites"My Country Tis of Thee." I mean in the car I completely fist pump with this song. (Not to mention it features a synthesizer....). When David sang this, it sounded so 8th grade talent show. Now when I was in eight grade in the talent show I was Wayne and one of my longest cherished childhood friends Cheryl was Garth. We did a "Wayne's World" skit that was so funny. Anyway, way off topic, but I thought he was terrible.

I think Jason should go, but Syesha will probably go. I think it is inevitable that the Davids will be in the finale.

6 comments:

Renay said...

I hardly know what to say...but, I'll give it a good try.

What on earth was with Paula? Did you hear her totally call Syesah BROOKE??? It was like they aired Paula's segments jumbled and I felt very confused by her.

Someone needs to tell Simon to button his shirt.

No more Pitchy via Randy but I would say that Brooke was very Karaooke (ok I can't spell and I'm too lazy to look it up).

Anyway, I like Neil and he looked pretty good for an old guy. I hope he sings tomorrow. I was shocked at the choices-some of them could've totally rocked the house with Niel choices and I so agree with you about Brooke's shrek song. BAD choice.

I'm just gonna say (for the last time) be nice about my man Jason. He was good, especially song 1. I loved it.

I agree the David's will be in the finals.

I say bottom 2 Brooke and Syesha and Brooke goes home.

Interesting about the stay wag. Rear facing is better though. I loved Wayne's world...my friends and I used to quote it constantly...like, Delaware, what's in Delaware? and other things that I apparently no longer remember, sad-maybe I'll rent it;-)

Thanks for continuing your post recaps. I love them.

Hugs, R

Anonymous said...

I DON'T WANNA BE A PIRATE! Yeah, I looked over at dad while she was singing and did the Donkey version of "I believe I believe I believe" really fast and I was so tempted to get up and hop around the living room like Donkey does in the movie. The only thing that stopped me was the baked ziti I was stuffing my face with.

LOL Or I could see The Naked Brothers band singing with Archuletta. You have Disney after dark, I have Nickelodeon at dusk.

HA! We were totally thinking the same thing about Jason that he ran out of baggies. I was surprised he didn't look into the camera and plead with his stoner buddies, "Dudes. Send me care packages! Please! I just realized, I'm on American Idol!"

Very good post, Kim. I laughed. I giggled. I cried...because Archuletta sucked up the entire night. I'm throwing him in the bottom two because he deserves to be there. But unfortunately, I have Jason going home. Sad day.

Renay said...

I'm so stoked...my man Jason is still in, my bottom two were right and I called Brooke going home...yea for me. No humility huh?

Renay said...

I'm so stoked...my man Jason is still in, my bottom two were right and I called Brooke going home...yea for me. No humility huh?

Ann said...

Hi Kim

You won't really recognize my name but I have a little boy Declan from the same e-parent group. A little bit of googling ... and I found you.

Will keep this one short - I was actually wondering if you were up for some blogging support for a friend of a friend (all internet - don't know really any of them) but her babe was recently diagnosed with skeletal dysplasia at 21 weeks. I thought of you when you were pregnant with Preston - and I still remember your posts.

Obviously, completely up to you ...

http://www.chasing2boys.blogspot.com/

I can't believe how grown up your boy is now.

All the best.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim and Preston,
Sure you may add us on your link page we don't mind infact, Im So thankful for the blessing that we wre given the day Jaden was born, with out him we would never have gotten to be a part of L.P.A Nor would we have the chance to even make such good life long friends, that acctually walk in the same shoes as eachother. K.I.T.