Tuesday, April 8, 2008

American Idol-Week 5

Before I blog about Idol, I have a few announcements to make:

1) Melski-mark your calendar for the new night of your Fox 5 boyfriend-DR. HOUSE! He's back. So psyched.

2) I have very bad news fellow AI blog followers. For those of you that may not know, I am going to my brother's wedding in Ireland...without Preston! Matt has agreed to take Preston for 5 1/2 days so I can go to Europe. I found nothing appealing in taking Preston to Europe, so now as much as I am going to miss him and furnish Matt with a full instruction manual and duct tape his insurance card onto him, Mommy is looking forward to this little excursion. Now that Mystery Neighbor turned out to be a disappointment, my new movie/romance novel fantasy is meeting a nice Irish lad (with an accent of course) on the flight that slightly resembles one of my three favorite Irish actors---Patrick Dempsey, Dylan McDermott or Dermott Mulroney. Either will do. Anyway where is the bad news you say? My flight is the same night AS THE FINAL TWO and I will be in Ireland for the FINALE! I am beside myself. Truly I am a loser that needs to possibly break away from the television, but I am e-mailing the hotel to see if there is a chance I will catch the show since the USA is eight hours ahead. What Katie and I think is that Chris and Anna should reschedule their wedding (after all they have been married civilly since October-hee hee) and accommodate my AI schedule. I suggested it to Chris. He ignored me....

3) Pitchy was used twice tonight.

Anyway on to the TOP EIGHT! Inspirational songs. Totally bummed no one sung Mr. Mister's "Kyrie" or I don't know Chicago's "You're the Inspiration." I'm still waiting for Idol does Monster Ballads. That would rock!

We started the night off with Michael. The only complaint I have is I could have done without the kerchief. I have seen many a golden retriever wearing the same scarf. Not flattering. Love him regardless of his super bad Steven Tyler impression. There are less contestants now so I feel his minute thirty seconds can be extended. I think everyone can take one for the team and let Michael have ten of their seconds.

Syesha sang Fantasia. I personally disliked Fantasia and her voice. I never saw the "star" potential in her, but then again Season 3 as a whole sucked. I just don't see Fantasia as inspirational unless you are learning to read. I mean her follow up track to "I Believe" was "Baby Mama." And if Syesha was looking for inspirational Idol songs she had a myriad to choose from like Ruben's "Flying Without Wings" or Taylor Hick's "Do I Make you Proud." (*Sidebar...I actually have these two songs on my IPod for that reason). Personally I thought she sang it better than Fantasia, her voice is much better and Syesha is beautiful,but she was browbeaten again.

Did anyone else like totally pee in their pants watching Jason play the ukulele? It just struck me funny. I love that version and it was featured in both of Preston's yearly photos-to-music montages. He did a great job.

Kristy Lee Cook. First off she totally wore that outfit before. I distinctly remember a sequined tank top. It may be a different metallic shade, but really. I have a great idea. Let's take Kristy's minute thirty and give it to Michael. I cannot waste anymore space on this blog about her.

David Cook-sorry to everyone, I am a fan but he was GOD awful tonight. First off no one knows that song. Secondly I thought the writing on his hand was a bit much. It must have been suggested by the same lame people that put together those cheesy fake Ford Focus commercials on the results show. David needs to tone it down a bit. You are not Daughtry yet and besides Daughtry toured with Bon Jovi and I love him (Totally off topic but it had to be said).

Carly to me looked like a bad Pat Benatar video. She sag that song terribly. Freddy rolled a few times over in his grave tonight. I love how Simon kept looking over his shoulder as if Carly's husband would jump out of the audience and attack him with a face piercing. Oh My! What if on the way to Ireland I sit next to someone that looks like Mr. Smithson?

This is what I want David Archuleta to do. Walk out, sing, walk offstage. Don't talk, don't smile that ridiculous insipid smile, just stop. He is so breathy when he speaks I cannot deal! He breathes his words. The only other person I knew who did this (and this will be lost on those out of the tri state area) was a DJ on Star 99.9 named Elizabeth Yates who announced the love songs at nightwith dedications. She honestly was so breathy I think she was getting it on with the night janitor in between playing Aaron Neville and Peabo Bryson. What made me laugh about his little intro was he says,"I could not decide what song to sing." So I guess he asked his dad. Do you think his dad threatens him before the show? Is that why he is breathy-he is anticipating getting the crap kicked out of him if he does not sing right? He has a great voice, but I don't see him as a star.

When Brooke came out to sing the first thought that went through my mind with that hair and outfit was she was a dead ringer for the older sister on The Wonder Years. She is still a little too pure for me.

So the kick off is Thursday-I have predicted everything wrong thus far, but believe Carly or Syesha is gone even though I am holding out hope Kristy is gone. Looking forward to Idol Gives Back. Loved that show last year. Enjoy it everyone!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am truly jealous that you are going to Ireland! I would have been more than happy to come along as Preston's personal nanny for the 5 days! You are going to have an amazing time. My dad's dream is to take Seamus to Ireland one day to explore the land of his ancestors! When do you leave?

Anonymous said...

Nice, I didn't even think Kyrie (even though I have been told by a certain someone that my favorite 80's song is not Gloria but in fact, it is Kyrie). I was shocked no one did I Believe I Can Fly since they had the chorus there anyway. I agree, Monster Ballad night is a must. I would love to hear someone belt out Sheriff's When I'm With You. And then after they give out the numbers to vote, the blue screen infomercial will come up and if you act now you get BOTH Monster Ballad cds for $19.95!

LOL The whole Fantasia paragraph I can't even come up with a joke for. Yours are too funny.

I told mom you would love Jason's song. Mom hated it. She thought the ukulele was terrible. I...loved it. It was perfect for him.

I think Kristy needs to put the prom dress tops away and wear something else. But actually, I thought she did an amazing job on that song. Looks like she's staying, sorry Kim.

And what you didn't know Kim, is that David Archuletta is Elizabeth Yates' love child.

My bottom three: Carly, Brooke, (possible David Cook to maybe knock the pompous out of him) and Syesha because she bores me. I have Carly going home.

I give this BLOG three 60 Hour TiVo thumbs up!

Renay said...

Oh my...where to start-we are sooo not on the same page over last night's show and BTW what took you so long to post???

I guess you will need a guest blogger *cough* eh, hmmm* for the final two when you are gone-I'm gone for next week so you will have to make due without my wanna-be commentary;-) How will you manage???

From item one, are you a house fan too??? Maybe we should just dedicate a whole blog to TV discussion? m, kay?

I wrote my comments before seeing yours but may add as I go:

I still love him but what was with Michael’s outfit-the scarf was hideous and the too small vest was just bad! Anyways, Owen danced all thru his song so obviously it rocked!

And OMG!!! What was with Paula’s dress…even my husband asked about it…I mean come one! “Dream on!” I soooo can't believe you did nt comment on it!!!

Ok, so Syesha was good. I'm surprised you didn't like her so much. But I guess you said she was better than Fantasia-which I agree with.

I love that version of Somewhere over the rainbow that Jason sang. He is sooo not a stoner! He’s a good kid! And he’s just so pretty! Don't you think?

Kristi was pretty darn good too-great song. I know you hate her and I agree that top was soo yesterday-I thought it was strangely similar myself;-)

Oh I just didn’t like David rocker tonight-it got better as it went but it started out rough. It was just a bit over the top for me. I liked his look though.

Could someone please tell Carly about this invention called “sleeves”-seriously. Was that a bathing suit top and wasn't it from like the 80’s??? Anyone? Didn’t like her performance either.

David A at the piano was sweet! He sang with a lot of feeling which was nice! He’s going to be a big star-you heard it here. And yes he is a bit breathy but, he is very humble-you have to give him that. I see him as a great Christian music artist??? What do you think?

I love Brooke-she’s definitely one who connects with every song she picks. I think she is a country artist and doesn’t know it *yet*. And, I think she could’ve played the piano;-)

So, I don’t even want to pick a “bottom” group, I just want Carly gone. Sorry, bye-bye George.

Well, I'm bummed about missing the show next week (and more pointedly your post) but the Bahamas are way better, right?

Renay-out!

Kim said...

Emily-I am leaving May 20th. So excited!

Renay-I was waiting all day for your comment-the post went up last night-strange that it did not come through for you!

Anonymous said...

I am so mad about Michael leaving! I thought he should be at least in the top 4. Maybe he was a little too cool for Idol... but I was voting for him. I still think David Arhculeta is overrated. Little girls will vote for him, and he sang Imagine well. But I can't believe Simon thinks he will be top 2. You're totally right with so many things. Except I confess that I loved Fantasia, especially when she sang Summertime.

Anonymous said...

Our boyfriend Michael Johns was on Regis and Kelly today.... he's so cute! Made me think of you and our shared love of him!!!

ps- get up here to Boston and visit!