Tuesday, April 15, 2008

American Idol-Week 6

So I start off this Idol with a moment of silence.....for the early departure of Michael Johns. I am still very distraught and actually thought that I should stop watching, but then Renay would probably kill me :-) Anyway here we are.

Paula obviously broke into Jason Castro's drug stash and was completely out of her mind. Simon was embarrassed for her. She was "proud" of everyone. I should have counted how many times she said proud instead of Randy saying pitchy (two by the way). She also said that Ryan and Brooke looked amazing on stage together. She was a little much tonight to take.

The golden rule of Idol for seven seasons running is never sing Mariah. Tonight they sang Mariah. Simon and I are completely in sync because I too believed that the guys would do better than the girls because the voice comparison would not be as great for the guys. Let's reflect on Mariah a bit. If I was on Idol (like I pretend to be when I sing in the car), I would have a lot to talk to Mariah about. First, when the "Someday" video came out, I immediately ran to Jean County USA (store since bankrupt) to buy baggy jeans and a black bodysuit-or their other name, adult onesies. I never thought that after toilet training I would wear an article of clothing that snapped in the crotch, but I will have you know I had quite the bodysuit collection. Mariah also gave us the 1994 Christmas hit "All I Want for Christmas is You." That Christmas I had the world's biggest crush on a senior in my high school so I sang with a hairbrush to my mirror and secretly dedicated that song to my crush in hopes he would dump his girlfriend. (He eventually did by the way and is now one of my best guy friends in the world). Mariah also graduated from the public high school across the street where I lived. We could totally bond over local hot spots. Of course my number one question would be how amazing Derek Jeter was in the sack...ahem...moving on.

So the show kicked off with David Archuleta. When Mariah broke out onto the pop scene, David was an embryo so it was interesting to see what song he was going to pick. In Season 2 when Clay wore a red leather jacket Simon had a hemorrhage. Tonight David comes out in leather PANTS and no one makes one comment. It reminded me of the Friends episode when Ross wore leather pants and Chandler was not allowed to make mean comments about anyone. It was like the judges were Chandler. The leather pants were the 800 pound gorilla, but whatever. David broke two Idol rules, not only did he sing a Mariah song, but a Mariah song where she had a duet with WHITNEY! If there was a way for him to have thrown Christina Aguilera into the mix he probably would have. Of course David can do no wrong according to the judges. It didn't matter to them that he needed an eyebrow wax either.

Carly sang "Without You" and not that great. "Without You" is an Oh My God song. What is that you say? It is a song that by just listening to it makes you want to take a plastic butter knife and sever a main artery-it is that sad. And "Oh My God" must be said like the Boy George impersonator in The Wedding Singer. (When the bride walked down the aisle). Other OMG songs include "Almost Over You" by Sheena Easton, "Separate Lives" by Phil Collins and "Look Away" by Chicago. Pathetically sad songs. So Katie and I compiled them on a CD entitled OMG.

Syesha bored me as did Brooke tonight. I actually agreed with Paula that I thought Brooke rushed the song in spots. Then Kristy Lee who did not give me chills or Simon. I now know why I dislike her so much-she is aghast when a judge gives her a negative comment. It's like she is the shining star in her little town of 82 residents and her horses and now the big fish in the little pond is having a hard time swimming in the ocean. Ugh-she is probably going to make it to the finals the way this season is going.

David Cook was awesome. The tears put me over the edge. He reminds me a lot of Daughtry, but he is one hell of a risk taker and that will pay off...hopefully. I think he is the David to beat.

Jason closed the show, but was ok. What made me laugh is in rehearsal he sang toMariah's chest instead of Mariah, but hey he is a guy.

I am always wrong, but I think Carly is going. We shall see! (Renay hurry back from the Bahamas to read this post)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember when your sister worked at Jean Country??? haha too funny!!!

So yes totally agree that Mariah was not the best choice since she's got an amazing voice you can't really match.

But my bottow 3 are : Syesha, Kristy Lee, and Carley... I hope Kristy Lee finally gets the boot

Anonymous said...

LOL Maeve is totally right. I worked at Jean Country. I admit it. I worked there with Kim's beloved Frankie's cousin who by the way, has the same name as Kim's beloved Frankie. And Kim, when you bought those Jeans and boby suit, did you do the dance that went with the ensemble in the Someday video? I believe you did.

I truly believe that AI wants Archuletta to win. Why, I don't know. I'm guessing they can throw him on the Disney channel and have Ashley Tisdale be a whore with him and maybe he won't giggle so much.

OH MY GOD!!!!

I have to disagree with you on Kristy. She's gotten much better (country wise) and since they have a Carrie Underwood already, they refuse to EVER give her a nice comment.

I love David Cook. He's beautiful.

My bottom three: Carly, Syesha, and Brooke. Brooke's going home.

Catherine Merciez Wright said...

LOL!LOL!LOL!! Ok,that lame acronym sequence is supposed to symbolize how hard I am laughing. If I had your phone # I would call you right now between gasping breaths. You totally crack me up. As much as I wanted a black body suit, I never had the boobs to pull it off. Come to think of it, neither did Mariah until around the "Glitter" monstrosity and yes - I saw it. As long as we are confessing, I saw "Spice World" too. I've decided that I'm moving past David Cooks hair and giving him my offical endorsment. It's like he's going his own take on the mullet. The slicked down business thing in the front and mussed up party on top (instead of in the back). Looks like "Alway's be my Baby" isn't the only thing that has a David Cook spin on it. I'm starting to look forward to your recaps as much as the show itself!
Cat

Anonymous said...

I've actually been voting for Brooke, but she is just too anoying... She's a little too Zen for American Idol. I feel like when they critique her she is going to say "But we are all god's children..."

Renay said...

Ok, a bit late but just wanted to mention that carly had sleeves on...it's probably why she stayed in;-) I couldn't believe it when your boyfriend was voted off-what are people thinking???

I was not surprised about Kristy going this week-it was inevitable. As is Syesha, Carly, Brook...I think the finals will be the Davids but don't quote me as I don't have all that great a record either.

This was a great post;-) I may get a chance to read it more closely tonight at work-I watched the show while trying to catch up on other stuff so I missed alot and I really don't like MC.