Sunday, May 15, 2011

An Essay On Preston-By Alec Capparelli

Alec Capparelli has just turned 15.  The Capparelli family are the first people we met when we moved into this neighborhood. Alec met Preston when we moved in and has watched him grow.  A few months ago he had to write about a person that inspires him.  Alec picked Preston.  I am so honored and cry every time I read what he wrote. Through the eyes of a high school freshman, I share his views on Preston

Being a little person doesn’t mean you’re less of one. If you know one they each have their own personalities that’s different from everyone else.  Personally the little person I know is very funny.  Preston is a courageous person because of the big things he does despite his size, how he doesn’t need help expressing himself and how he doesn’t let his condition bother him.

Even though he’s small I know he can do big things.  He is 5 but he talks like he’s 10.  He has such a vocabulary.  I know from personal experiences.  He does things his way and doesn’t like it when you tell him to do it differently. He loves to build things with Lego or things that have to do with trains.  He can get up on to chairs, couches and go up and down stairs fine.  I’ve seen him do it many times.  He has no trouble keeping up with you or finding you.

One thing he doesn’t need help with is expressing himself.  He is very funny in the things he does.  When I see him he is always laughing about something.  He doesn’t have trouble speaking his mind.  When he talks he always uses his hands in some way.  If he doesn’t like something he’ll tell you.  He always wants to be doing something different than he did a day ago.

He doesn’t even act like he has dwarfism.  He does things kids his age should do.  He like has lots of friends just like him.  I think he actually does some things that other kids his age can’t do.  He goes on trips with his mom and they meet up with other families that have kids with dwarfism.

Big things sometimes come in very small packages in his case.  Expression is one of his strongest qualities.  He acts like he isn’t dwarfed at all.  Doesn’t matter if you’re big or small, you’re a person either way.

Just beautiful.  Thank you Alec.  Preston adores you so much.  And Alec is right-here is the dude with his soccer trophy after scoring four goals with one assist in his last game of the season.  We can’t wait until fall soccer!

IMG_7041

14 comments:

mel said...

i want to hug alec. what a beautiful essay. And GO PRES for the last game!!! i guess Im going to have to learn to like soccer!!!

Lyla Our Little Miracle said...

What a beautiful essay! It brought tears to my eyes! And you go Preston! Four goals! Woohoo!

jaime said...

Alec's essay brought tears to my eyes! What a wonderful thing he did!! And YAY Pres on your goals!!!

Andrea said...

Super soccer star! Go Preston!

And what an amazing essay!

Unknown said...

I just cried reading this. Wonderful job Alec!

Ever Changing said...

*Tear* That is beautiful! And way to go Preston!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
I am Trisha and Caden's aunt....I read your blog often and have thought to comment several times, but I could not let this one pass...I can see why you cry every time you read the essay..I too had tears down my face, You know Preston is a blessing, but how wonderful for Alec, as a young man to see how special Preston is...how lucky you and Preston are to have him as a neighbor...tell Preston way to go on his goals, I 'm a big soccer fan and hope Caden enjoys it also...Preston is so cute and would love to see him and Caden together...
Lori,
P.s.I like your commentary on Idol

Laura Wolf said...

That was a beautiful essay. It's nice to see how other people see our kids. Since I'm with Nathan all the time I don't see his dwarfism. He doesnt look like a "baby" to me. It's nice to know that there are people that see our children as people first.

Yiannakis Family said...

Wow, what a great essay! Seems that you have made friends with a really good role model for Preston too. Being just a freshman in high school, Alec's views on people are far wiser than some adults. Congrats on the great soccer season Preston!!

Cheryl said...

Great essay, from the heart and so true! Preston really is an amazing person, with our without his "littleness" and it makes me smile to see his amazing personality shine through to everyone around him!!!!

Go Preston and go Kim, you're an amazing mother and it shows. EVERY DAY.

Jenna said...

Hi Preston!
My name is Jenna and I came across your site. U are a courageous, strong, and determined fighter. You are a Brave Warrior, an Inspirational hero and a Smilen Champ.
I was born with a rare life threatening bone disease, which is a type of dwarfism so that makes me a little person. I have never met or kept in touch with a little person like me, and I would love to some day.
www.miraclechamp.webs.com

Unknown said...

Wow, how great is this?? Wonderful essay! And how great for Preston to have such an awesome role model in Alec. Thank you so much for sharing. And congrats Pres on the soccer goals - you rock!

Kristen said...

What a great Essay. So touching to know that there are kids out there that see people for who they are not see their differences. Way to go Pres for being such a kick butt soccer player!

Greene Family said...

Such a beautiful essay!! I want to hug Alec! What a wonderful role model for Preston - they are both inspirational boys!
Way to go Preston on 4 goals and one assist in your last game!! Sounds like so much fun! Simon is excited for his soccer camp to start!