Wednesday, May 18, 2011

American Idol-Final Three

I’m beyond exhausted tonight, but alas, I blog.  I am sorry if you made a comment on here last week and it’s gone.  Blogger, I am told, had some issues.  Anyway, three rounds tonight-finalist’s pick, Jimmy’s pick and judge’s pick.  Every year my brother Chris and I try to pick the judge’s pick.  We lost again.  Our picks for the contestants this year, was a Dylan song for Scotty (to get off the country kick for maybe 2.4 seconds), Amy Winehouse for Haley and Etta James’ “At Last” or Norah Jones’ “Don’t Know Why” for Lauren.  Not even close.  Thanks for playing Chris. Observations from tonight-J. Lo I believe feels threatened by Beyonce.  J-Lo’s earrings were too small for her hair being up.  Considering Lauren wore one pair that may have been a bouquet of flowers, J.Lo’s paled in comparison.  Steven may have been slightly altered tonight considering he told Scotty, ‘I’ve never heard you sing a chorus like that!”  But he had… according to his very own comment…two songs earlier.  And Randy.  Randy who still has not answer the call from 1991 that costumes were stolen off the set of the video, “It’s So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday.”  Also,  who thinks Jay-Z really skimped in that engagement ring department?  Good Heavens! I’ve seen cars smaller.  I was also confused about the video premiere.  First, don’t tell us it’s a full uncut video when 1) you cut it halfway through and 2) you had the words edited so it’s TV friendly. Ah Beyonce videos.  They reaffirm how awful a dancer I truly am.

I found myself a little bored tonight with Scotty even though I love him truly.  He came out Round 1 with his signature denim.  I really wanted Beyonce to suggest her sweetheart’s hit “Big Pimpin.”  I mean, we get it, you can sing Lonestar and Garth Brooks and every other country song well.  We…get…it.  But it would have been fun to break the mold a bit.  Jennifer requested his short hair back right after I told my mother I liked Scotty’s hair longer.  After Scotty’s final song Ryan asked Scotty’s dad if he had any words.  Was anyone else hearing the hidden message of “Hot damn!  We are so going to be rich!”?

Lauren was the worst dressed contestant this year.  During her first song where she was all dolled up in her little cowgirl outfit I couldn’t help but think she was a contestant in Toddlers in Tiaras.  She is so beauty pageant-ty.  She also wins for most ridiculous line of the night, “I’ve been singing Faith Hill since I was a little girl.”  Which was what? Last year? Her second song was ok and for her final song not only was she dressed like Glinda the good witch (just in blue) but I swear she went from a blond to a brunette!  That was about the only impressive aspect of her performances tonight for me.

Haley-Wins tonight.  I’m with you Bobbi (I saw your Facebook status)! After she fell in five inch heels, I was messaging my friend Josh, (also a lawyer) and asked if his mind immediately went to negligence (although I assume wearing five inch heels may put some contributory negligence on Haley’s part).  He had predicted the wipe out prior to its happening.  Impressive. How cute that she performed with her dad?  One thing you’d never see is me singing and my dad jamming on a guitar.  I mean the image enough is hilarious.  Anyone who knows my father knows is never really out of a suit…with a French cuff shirt…and coiffed hair.  (Love you Daddy).  Although he may have rocked out to “Werewolves of London” with a blow up guitar once that was passed out by the DJ at his 50th birthday bash-(Katie? Mel?  Remember)?  Loved her ensemble (shoes and dress) on her Stevie Nicks song.  Did not love the wind machine.  If you are going to use a wind machine (which I question why in the first place) perhaps not picking the turbo setting would be appropriate. At one point it reminded me of that old Maxell cassette tape advertisement.

Dude_then

Her last song-Alanis.The 90’s answer to “You’re so Vain.”  The song that even was centered around a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode.  First off, once again with changing the lyrics.  Annoying.  You Oughta Know Idol, that we all know the words! Haley also messed a few lyrics up.  Which shows her age.  No self respecting 30 year old (ok…33 year old) would mess up the lyrics to the best revenge anthem ever.  (Although I must admit some of the anger kind of deflated for me once I found out the song was about Uncle Joey).  She rocked the chorus.  She took the most chances tonight and for that she deserves a place in the finals.

I think it is buh bye Lauren.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Insert going down on you in a theater joke here....

Seriously, why that song? I never liked it. I guess I was never scorned by a dude, so I don't know.

Not much else to say. Kinda bored with everything. Anna asked if I was watching Country Idol after Scotty and Lauren started the show off. I checked to see if I was watching TNN, but alas, it wasFox. All I kept thinking was, this never would have happened if Simon Cowell was still alive.