Wednesday, May 11, 2011

American Idol-TOP 4

The competition is getting fierce.  Randy wants to know still who is, “in it to win it.” (Said three times tonight).  My friend Tara made the observation tonight that Ryan may have wanted to exit stage left from the spray tan booth as he closely resembles an Oompa Loompa in Technicolor. 

James- I’m shocked (and slightly appalled) that James didn’t sing “Whatdya Want from Me?” in the inspirational song round, as a thank you to his obvious inspiration, Glambert.  Instead he chose a song that embodied his AI “journey” (his pun, not mine, but props to him, on that one), singing “Don’t Stop Believing.” I wondered where he got the Journey t-shirt?  I recall the days of Guns n’ Roses and Metallica and heading down Jericho Turnpike to the flea market next to the Commack Roller Rink and that was where I could procure said t-shirts.  (And cassette tapes…nail polish in neon colors and slouch socks…ok and stretch pants with paint splatters on them…and my first pair of Z. Cavaricci’s). Can we just talk about Z. Cavaricci’s for like a minute?  When I was going into 8th grade, in true non-dramatic Kim form, I explained to my parents that I would “just die” if I didn’t have a pair.  Truly die. I didn’t know how I could face the first day of school without them. Because it would be humiliating not to have high waisted pants with a small label on the zipper for my first day of school. To wear with…wait for it…deck shoes with those yellow laces everyone would curl. Awesome.  I spent the entire summer begging and did get them…although after that year they sent me to Catholic school and wore a uniform.  But I digress. Also did anyone know Randy was in Journey??? (*Eyes rolling).  The judges also told him this song was so hard to sing…um really? It’s the quintessential Glee tune.   For his second song, he pretty much rocked the house.  I’ll give him that-he’s entertaining.  Not as entertaining as it would have been to split screen to James’ wife while Gaga got all up on him.

Haley- I was picking up a pizza tonight from NY Pizza here tonight (which I assure you it is not) when Haley was performing.  I received a text from my friend Karen who told me Haley obviously thought she was in debate class (and maybe Karen’s text had a few other choice words in there).  Haley was none too pleased with the criticism. She was pretty feisty back to them as well. But I had to agree with the judges.  “Earth Song” is really a typical MJ type song that no one but MJ could sing.  MJ had a very unique voice and his “angry” Michael singing still sounded like singing, not screaming.  Her second song however was amazing.  I also will give a shout out to the hair peeps from Idol.  Obviously they have rummaged through my prom pictures and both Haley and Lauren have sported my do this season.  I’m honored…truly.

Scotty-When he sang “Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning” you cannot help but tear up.  That song is so moving and Scotty did such an amazing job.  It was on this song where I thought Scotty was such a true performer and so comfortable. Well comfortable singing…not so much in the comfort zone when Gaga wanted him to get it on with his microphone.  I am calling it….Scotty is not only in it to win it…I think he will win it. And tonight Scotty was not dressed in dual denim.  Mainly because the denim was used to make J-Lo’s hideous dress. The designers should just drop denim from their list.

Lauren-Her dress looked like a duvet from a courtesan's bed in the Moulin Rouge.  I also think Idol can start a spin off- Real Mom’s of Idol Contestants.  Starring Lauren’s mom and what appeared to be her aunt who may have been sporting a Botox needle in her forehead along with her frosted hair and Ryan Seacrest tan.  Two other observations from Lauren.  While she was pow wowwing with Gaga, the piano player kept playing.  He must be the same creepy piano player from year’s past.  She also wants America to vote because she doesn't want to go home.  But next week is Hometown week so she really needs America to vote so she does go home. 

I think Lauren is on the chopping block!

3 comments:

JoshS said...

So funny on so many levels.. more tomorrow...

Lauren said...

I don 't think Haley scored any votes with her "evil eyes" to the judges. I am not sure if the second song was enough to carry her over the bitter taste I got from her attitude.

If Lauren's mom just waited ONE year, I think this girl could have outshined Carrie's year. She is just on the brink of maturity in her career. You can see it briefly in her performances now. She just can't get over her insecurities and it is driving me mad. She is 16 and needs some sass. Too bad she didn't have your 8th grade self as a friend to push her to the next level. Maybe put her in Cavariccis instead of curtains.

I agree with you.Before I even heard Scotty sing, I said to myself on his song choice, "He just won all the states from Virginia to Nevada" Well played, Scotty! I think he's a lock.

Kim said...

Testing