Saturday, April 9, 2011

From, “Why me?” to “Thankfully, me.”

IMG_6614

On April 7, 2011, Preston took his kindergarten entrance exam. This picture was taken before we left. This is a milestone for any child.  After dropping him off at Montessori after his test I called my mother and cried.  I wasn’t crying only because how is it possible that Preston is already going to kindergarten?  I was crying because while waiting to take his test, I watched him walk up to children he didn’t know, sit down and start playing.  He shared toys.  I heard him say, “My name’s Preston.”

I have seen many blog posts lately regarding the “Why me” factor when it comes to our child’s dwarfism.  I’m hoping as one of the older parents with one of the older children, that I maybe can make that question become less frequently asked, if not obsolete.

If you go back to the very beginning of my blog, I wrote about Preston’s journey.  I wrote how when I told Marrah about Preston’s at that time, unknown diagnosis,she asked what she could do.  Through tears I told her, “Just love my son.”  And you know what?  That’s the only thing I have asked of everyone.  Just love my son (ok, I may also tell my mother he really truly does not need anymore summer clothes).  Don’t get me wrong.  I had my “why me” moments.  I would secretly laugh when people in stores would tell me Preston was going to be a football player because he was a true bruiser baby: seriously-here he is at 6 1/2 months:

BG

I maybe am also one of the lucky ones.  Besides ear tubes (3 sets) and a tonsil/adenoid removal and the first two winter respiratory issues, Preston has not had many achon related issues.  He hit his milestones pretty quick for an achon baby (sitting around 7.5-8 months and walking/running at 16).  I also have never had any negativity surrounding us.  No one has ever made a derogatory comment (at least that I’ve heard).  I do get asked a lot how old he is; it is a rare occasion anyone asks a follow up question and I typically don’t feel the need to start educating everywhere we go.  I’ve never labeled Preston.  I hate the word dwarf.  I call him Preston.  He has dwarfism.  As I’ve said before it is part of him, it is part of what makes him who he is, but it’s not a full on definition.  If that were true I would go around saying, “Hi. I’m Kim, I’m average height.”  Because of Preston’s size though and his GIANT personality we tend to get a lot of attention.  The other thing he has going for him is he is an only child.  He is used to being the KING at all times.  We were in Friendly’s the other night after the kindergarten test and he was approached by two other classmates and then he turned around and befriended the kid behind him. I began talking to a couple across from us about him going to school and I mentioned he had dwarfism.  The woman said to me, “I honestly thought he was just younger until I heard you say he was going into kindergarten.”  Today on the soccer firled a grandmother approached me to tell me that Preston’s smile and his utter happiness while playing was a joy to watch.  And then she added how cute he was. For good measure let’s throw another baby picture in shall we?  9 months:

6LU4CAVY35S5CAC0FUZCCAQCKY16CA0QYFJ6CARXK82UCA4DCZK0CAJFSMYBCA8VWUW9CA1PP0XCCA64CI27CA9D6U46CAZISDDLCAW8EM70CA78B5XGCABITU87CA4F6FS3CA3FZRZGCA7DNFO1

So when did the why mes stop?  Pretty quickly in my case. First of all I was a single mother getting a divorce when he was six months old.  I had issues that far exceeded the fact he happened to be blessed with dwarfism. Second, when Preston was young I wish there were blogs and Facebook.  Thankfully through the Yahoo POLP, I met Emily first.  I then was in touch with two local families in New York.  Then the blogs started and Facebook got popular and the POLP family grew.  I cannot imagine my life without some of these women in it.  I am literally hopping around in anticipation to see many tomorrow in Baltimore.  Had I not been given Preston, these wonderful people would never have come into my life.

Third, I admire Preston.  Preston has taught me.  Preston has shown me that life is not always the “prefect” picture you expect.  Preston has shown me that anything is possible-even playing soccer and being a good head and a half shorter than the others.  Preston has shown me the good in the world-that people are people despite their differences.  I can truly honestly tell you (and even my mother can attest to this, and she knows when I fib), that I don’t see height.  I used to measure Preston religiously to see if he gained 1/4 of a centimeter.  I now once every 6 months give him a height check if I notice his pants seem shorter. 

I know his final height is projected to be on the top of the achon scale and therefore limb lengthening is still in my cards for him because he really will be in height purgatory.  But I don’t think about that now.  Because it may never happen.  And I don’t care anymore if it does or doesn’t. I like Preston small.  He told me he loves being tiny. 

I think one of the reasons Preston is so positive is everyone that surrounds him has built his ego.  Told him nothing is impossible.  That’s why I was so angry at myself for trying to discourage soccer.  Preston is truly Mr. Mayor everywhere he goes.  The kids that are older in the after school program adore him and not one person has ever bullied him-in fact there are times Preston has been the aggressor. 

My advice? You have to try to stop being sad.  You were chosen for a reason.  Your child may get teased.  I’m average height.  I was teased for having big hair and wearing blue eye shadow.  I turned out ok.  Your child may struggle a little bit to get what comes naturally for others.  But on the flip side who says being tall is the answer? My brother is six foot five.  He told me he always hated being the tallest.  The tallest was the one singled out in school if there was a ruckus.  You can’t undo the achon, you have to just accept it.  It’s not going away.  You may hear some hurtful, disgusting, things.  Vent to your POLP family.  What parent at some point won’t see their child get hurt?  I was talking to Emily and she said something so awesome and I hope she doesn’t mind me sharing.  She says when she catches someone looking at Seamus she is so proud he is hers.  That sums up my feelings too.  I couldn’t of said it better.  I am so proud I am Preston’s mom.  I’m not saying you’ll always think it’s fair, but what in life is fair?  It’s going to be ok.  It may be a hard hurdle, but I never woke up in the morning saying, “Ah, Monday. And Preston has dwarfism.”  It just all starts fading away and at some point, you just never think about it.

So why did I cry after the kindergarten test?  Because my wish came true.  I just wanted people to love my son, accept my son, have my son accept himself.  I saw that wish 100% that day.  I can’t say anymore other than:

img00843-20110408-2000[1] (2)

22 comments:

Andrea said...

Seriously. Awesome. Post.

When I was in Michigan this past week, a family member kept saying "it is what it is" about how their life turned out. This bothered me. Everyone is going to be thrown challenges, but we're not supposed to roll over and die or let others walk all over us. Make the best of it. I hope that Evan, Preston and all other children with dwarfism never feel that they are anything less because of their height. They are SO SO much more!

Thank you for sharing this post!

Alex said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this post!!! Might have to share it on Facebook!!! So glad to have our wonderful kids!!!

Caden and Mommy said...

Great Post Kim!

I have never wondered "why me". I often ask my bestest friend, Mom and Dan is that ok. Because so many do have a hard time getting through it. Maybe there is something wrong with ME? All I ever wanted was a little boy and I got him!

Yes, I was teased for being chubby. I work in a middle school, I see it all! What kid isn't teased. I know Caden will get teased at some point for being little. I will help him through it just as my Mom helped me through it.

You say it best. All we can do is love our boys! ... and it makes it so easy to do so because they are so cute!

The only problem I have with this post is that Preston is starting Kindergarten in the fall. How can this be?!

:0)

Unknown said...

Welcome to Kindergarten Preston! I love your post. I agree with you that when I see Aidan I see him as Aidan....not as a dwarf. Little things come up here and there that remind me but then we just continue on. I'm so very proud of ALL our POLP kids. Congratulations Pres!

Yiannakis Family said...

Great job Kim and congrats on joining Kingergarten Preston!!! Your post is so true and I think the older our kids get the more we as moms and dads realize just how blessed we are to have been chosen to raise all of our children! Jaxson is now 2 and 1/2 and I know the "why me" days are definitely behind us. Of course we have bad days as parents, I have them for both Jaxson who has achondroplasia and Peyton who is average height, it's part of parenting. Thank you God for blessing me with two precious boys and because of Jaxson all the wonderful family I never would have known. Love you and Pres and can't wait to see you guys tomorrow!!!

Kelly Lueck said...

Nicely put! My Jaxson is 4 months and all this is new. Very rarely have I had the " Why Me" momments. I am proud he is mine, just like my other two children I love him unconditionally and see him for who he is not his diagnosis. I wish others would do the same. But, I think just as your son's personality has lead people to look passed his diagnosis and to who is is, I hope the same happens with Jaxson. I have read blogs on Dwarfism and Down Syndrome and the one thing everyone says that I wish people could get.. We don't want sympathy, or certain words. We just want you to love our child for who he/she is as we do. thank you for this blog.

mel said...

that was beautiful and wonderfully said. Preston truly is amazing (and considering where 50% of his gene pool came from- it could have been hairy). I love to hear about all the new things he does. I cannot believe hes off to kindergarten in a few short months. I can still picture him in the nursery at the hospital (as the biggest kid in there). you guys make a great team!

babs said...

what can i say but i adore and love you and Preston with my whole heart. I have said to all my friends and people that I don't even know that Preston "makes my heart sing" he is often the reason I get up in the morning--he is a treasured and precious gift from God and he was given to a very special mommy. you have always been a leader and full of sage advice--Preston will surely follow in your footsteps--what a lucky little boy to have you for a mom (and having me for a grandma--well have lucky can one child possibly get) Preston is the Raabs little angel and we all thank God and Katie would add Jesus for our daily sunshine --better known as Preston! We all love you Baby Monkey and thank you Kimberly for bringing Pres Pres into our lives!

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this, Kim! I know we've discussed it a bit and I'm happy to be included in your post. I couldn't be prouder to be a POLP. My life has changed a hundred times over for the BETTER. Life is tough and sometimes not fair, but I am thankful everyday that God picked me and wouldn't change it for the world. Much love to you!

Amber said...

What a wonderful post to your son!! Preston IS awesome, I mean seriously! How could anyone not see it? I can imagine the initial diagnosis would be hard but once you met him...wasn't it all just over at that point? He had your heart hook, line and sinker!! He is a doll and I know I don't really know you as in have seen your face and heared your voice know you, but I can tell in your writings and in pictures that that is one happy, spunky boy!!
Welcome to kindergarten, Preston!! Way to go!!!

Hugs&Prayers
AmberK

Kristie said...

This is a wonderful post!!! Thank you so much for this!!! I am hoping my "why" days are long gone. Preston is so cute!! I love all the pics of him as a baby.
Weclome to kindergarten Preston!!!! I am sure you will do GREAT!!!!

Lyla Our Little Miracle said...

Kim-what u wrote about Preston was so beautiful and moving it brought tears to my eyes. I am so excited for Preston that he is going to Kindergarten! What an amazing time starting in his life and in yours. Preston is soooooooo handsome! You are so lucky to belong to each other. The beauty of your post is......you did it! You have raised a terrific son on your own for years and look how AWESOME he is. You should be so proud of yourself! You go girl! Hugs and kisses to u both!

Kerri said...

Love this post!! I just found your blog through Scott W. We found out last week that our baby due next month has Achondraplasia. We have been so welcomed by the LPA family and look forward to a wonderful life with our new bundle of joy! I plan on checking in with your blog often, thanks for sharing!

Jaime said...

Kim - what you said is so beautiful and touching. I am so thankful that you and Pres came into our lives! Welcome to Kindergarten Preston! We love you!!

Unknown said...

One of the best posts I've ever read :) You brought tears to my eyes-in the best way. I feel so many of the same things...I love seeing someone else express them!

Susan said...

Preston is so lucky to have a mommy who truly "gets it". It isn't about labels! It's about a loving relationship that teaches your child not to limit himself. I love Preston's personality; he's the type of child I love being around. One of my most prized friends is a 6 year old little person who has me wrapped around her little finger, much as Preston surely wraps people around his with his sweet and open friendliness. He will be such a treasured friend to his fellow Kindergartners. What a great milestone he's reached! Can't wait to hear about his school adventures next year.

Charms said...

Beautiful post Kim I hope you dont mind but im going to share :)

Kasia and Amelia said...

I love your post Kim! I also feel chosen and special being Amelia's mom. Thank you for supporting us so many times over and over! You were one of the first we met from POLP family, we owe you a big time! Preston is precious and very very special, lovely child. So grown up now! Congrats on kindergarten admission! We love you.

Catherine Merciez Wright said...

Beautifully written. I feel the exact same way.
Why do you insist on getting me so emotional?????

Greene Family said...

Kim - I love this post - beautifully said!! You are an amazing mom and Preston is one amazing boy!!
The only time that I said "why me" was when I was first going through tests and thought I was going to lose another baby. When we were told skeletal dysplasia, it was actually a relief to us as we felt so blessed and our thought was ok, he's just going to small - he'll fit right in with Jason's Italian side of the family.
I feel so blessed to be a POLP . . . our POLP family truly has become an extended family to us. Like you, I'm overjoyed at times with seeing Simon with other kids and just seeing his personality shine! Our kids are amazing and have some of the biggest personalities, smiles, and love of life that I have ever seen!
So proud of Pres - Welcome to Kindergarten!! What an exciting time!
Hugs and love to you both!! It was so great to see you guys last weekend, and I'm looking forward to our next get together!

Greene Family said...

I meant to add . . . I LOVE that 9 month old picture of Pres!! Such a cute, cute baby and now a handsome little boy! Time sure does fly!

The Johnson Family 5 said...

I have been one of those people that have had a hard time accepting all that comes with Cole's dwarfism. I have always loved and accepted Cole, but I have had many "why Cole" moments. This is a beautiful post and speaks to the type of person you are. A wonderful, caring mama bear! Preston is so lucky to have you!