Wednesday, April 20, 2011

American Idol-Top 7 Perform

Tonight's theme was songs from the 21st Century. I start twitching because I know what's coming-Ryan says the rules are the songs had to be recorded from 2000 to today. NOOOOOOO! This is one of my biggest pet peeves (one of...because we all certainly know I have a lot of them). There was no year ZERO!!! That means that the millennium started in 2001, not 2000. Which is why I couldn't wait for January 1, 2000 so I didn't have to be bombarded with stories about the new millennium. ARGH! Moving on. Randy has replaced the word "pitchy" from previous seasons with the word "slay" which he said 657 times tonight. Why are his necklaces always mall kiosk jewelry big? We started the show with the rejects singing for us. I don't understand this. As I said before, when a person on Idol gets voted off they make them sing. WHY? This is the person America voted not to hear again. Now we have all the rejects back singing tonight. And how surprised were you to remember that Karen and Ashton were even ever on this season? I know!
I was also not a fan of the song choices tonight. You had from 2001 until today (or because Idol counts time wrong, you can chuck in 2000). I was surprised the Idol hopefuls passed up such chart toppers like, Terror Squad's "Lean Back", J-Kwon's "Tipsy" and the true lost hit, "Because I Got High" by Afroman.


  1. Scotty-sang country-shocker. I think Scotty is a shoe in to win this thing. Country music has a huge fan base and Carrie Underwood may be the most popular Idol winner ever. But besides that, when Scotty goes back to school next year this guy has got it in the bag. I mean he is the number 1 prom date. If he were on Glee he would so not be getting the slushee to the face...even though he does sing.

  2. James-He was asked how he comes up with ideas for his songs. He said that he gets a "vision." He lies. What he really does is pull tapes from two seasons ago, watches Adam Lambert perform and says, "Yeah. That. I'm going to do exactly what he does. Maybe add a piano on fire." This week he added in the cast of Drumline to help him out on this quest. The thing is, and what makes James amazing, is not his singing. It's his ability to make Randy forget that he saw these very same performances two seasons ago. It's uncanny.

  3. Haley-So as I'm driving home tonight "Rolling in the Deep" came on the radio and I thought to myself (as I was singing my own Idol worthy rendition to the song) that someone should sing this on Idol. I have to say I think Haley did a good job with the song. The hair stylists also did a good job of taming her mane, because in auditions it was obvious L.A. has had some humidity this week. I hope she stays, even if she swings her arm like an elephant trunk.

  4. Jacob-Someone make the torture that is Jacob singing stop! It's so not American Idol, pop music, bubblegum, Z100 (for my New Yorkers) type music. He's not even that good. I understand getting emotional during the song. I sometimes tear during Calloway's "I Wanna be Rich" but he was trying to use the emotion to cover up the fact that his singing is sub par. I was also a fan that Randy brought back a signature line of his during critique, "I wasn't like jumping up and down." I love this line. I've never really seen Randy jump up and down. I've seen him get excited, but not jump up and down. And even if Jacob sang the song well (which he didn't) it may not have been an appropriate song to jump up and down to.

  5. Casey-As Josh so perfectly put it to me about Casey-he has the potential of being the homeless guy in the street who talks to himself. This is so spot on! We know this guy! His grunting that has found their way into the songs the past two weeks is borderline frightening. Also the creepy pedophile looks to the camera. What was that singing to J-Lo and then the kiss? It was so awkward I almost couldn't watch. He got so close she turned her head. Either of embarrassment, fear or his breath was lacking an Altoid. I think he kissed her to try to break the awkwardness. Of course this gave Ryan the excuse to remind America that Casey kissed the most beautiful girl in the world....and now I'm singing Prince.

  6. Stefano-I mean seriously. If I were Usher I'd fly to L.A. and slap Stefano for that awful Usher-esque impression of dancing. Terrible. He was dressed like Pauly D and dancing like Usher and singing Ne-Yo. It was so horribly wrong. Jimmy began talking about how Stefano was so good looking and he did not have to beg for the girls' attention. Jimmy said he was not like Stefano in school. The girls didn't pay attention to Jimmy. Don't worry Jimmy. I'm pretty sure some of the guys that look like Stefano are now parking your Porsche. If I could go back in time, I wouldn't be looking for the pretty boy either....we ALL know how that turned out.

  7. Lauren-came out in true Western Barbie fashion. I can't help but look at Lauren and just see extremes. Either she does well with this Idol thing and gets signed or she is a truck stop waitress serving meatloaf with sawmill gravy. I just see no happy medium. It's all or nothing. I hope it's all because if she doesn't make it it will kill her mother who is vicariously living through Lauren with hair extensions, makeup and maybe Botox in hopes to morph into a clone of her 16 year old daughter...or get to sing with Steven Tyler also. Who knows.

My pick to go home is Jacob.

5 comments:

babs said...

As usual Kim you nailed your critique of these "hopefuls"--Honestly, i think each week they are getting worse & worse--you know i was never an Adam Lambert fan or heaven help me David Archuletta--but i would even venture to say I would prefer them to this group--enough with Jacob crying--he is sooo obnoxious and untalented--when he hits those high notes with his mouth wider than the Panama canal i want to srick a burrito in it! and stefano is okay--just okay and the kiss from Casey--yuck and as the nuns would say to us "the nerve of some people's children" he should be kissing toads not the Jennifer Lopez's of the world! What hopeful did i forget-- oh the 2 country bumpkins--i am not a big country listener--i hear enough twangs down here i don't need more--i can honestly say i enjoy listening to scotty & lauren the most--they are sticking to their genre and doing well. And Mark Ballas who I adore i cringed when you said you liked Casey the most--thank God you can dance so I will continue watching DWTS--

Lauren said...

Every time James in on the stage, I just wish for Adam to morph back. I literally do the "I dream of Jeannie" twitch and nothing happens. Why would you mimic someone SO closely who didn't win?

As for the country folk, if Lauren just got her novice head out of her a** she would be wiping the floor with the rest of these guys. It's obvious she has tremendous potential, but needed a little more experience/confidence before she got here. I feel so bad for her sometimes, like those little ones with the pageant moms. Her mom obviously dressed her up and had her audition as soon as possible. It may prove to be a fatal flaw. She has the potential to win.

As for Casey, I think this is the only thing Jacob nailed last night. For those who have a true genius, it can take them over the edge. I def. think that we will be at a Casey concert courtesy of the acoustics in the NYC subway system one day going to a tree lighting. The Alexander Supertramp of music.

Anonymous said...

Kim,

Lauren's mom doesn't need botox and hair extensions. She's only 29. She probably had her on the first egg drop.

Kerri said...

i so agree with everything!!!

Greene Family said...

Ah - these blog posts sure make me laugh! :) I agree - why bring the rejects back to sing, and yes, I had forgotten a couple of them. Randy with "slay" is annoying.
Scotty is Jason's pick to win it. I agree that he's got it in the bag when he returns to school.
I'm surprised how much the judges love James.
Haha - I was laughing hearing the other contestants talk about Haley's arm movements too.
I'm ready for Jacob to go too.
That is spot on about Casey - too funny.
So true about the pretty boys of high schools. It was about time after all of the weeks in the bottom 3 that Stefano was voted off.
Wow - Lauren's mom is certainly living vicariously through her.
Scotty and Lauren's were my top picks of the night. It's still driving me crazy the way Scotty holds the mic though.