Wednesday, April 13, 2011

American Idol-Top 8 Perform

Housekeeping: The Pia Saga continues into this week. I must say, I was shocked that she got kicked off instead of say...Jacob. I understand she was a little Celine Dion-ish but she does have a pretty amazing voice and could be very marketable. She also still has hope. There is always the Daughtry factor. The major reason Pia was voted off and I agree with my friend Matt , is because the judge's are so syrupy sweet with their comments. There were times Simon was harsh. But he was usually right when it came to song choice. Now it's all, "You rock. You're so great. I love you." Even Randy has gone from, "Dude...dog....I wasn't really feeling it tonight from you...you know I love you but..." to "Dude....dog....you know what I love about you? THIS IS HOT!" It reminded me of a conversation I had with my friend Sammy. We were talking about how every parent thinks their child is super smart and bright. Sammy said, "Look, someone's got to be the dumb kid. Otherwise there would have been no valedictorian." So come on judges...someone's (ahem, Jacob) has to be the sucky one. Second, J-Lo was voted People's Most Beautiful Woman in the World. I very much wonder if she would have been crowned with this title if say...she wasn't the middle judge on American Idol? Not that she isn't gorgeous and I very much still want to be her a little bit, I just believe had she not been in the spotlight these past couple weeks the honor may have fallen to perhaps Kate Middleton? Just saying. Tonight was movie night. When I think movie songs, most of the song choices tonight would not have made my list. Off topic, I watched VH1's Top One Hit Wonders of the 90's and while I had most songs on my iPod, there were a few desperately missing, like "Life is a Highway", "I Like to Move It" and "Tootsie Roll." In similar vein, tonight there was a lacking of songs like "Up Where We Belong", "Fame" and "Against All Odds." Movie classics. For some reason, "Heavy Metal" (see infra) doesn't make my list.

  1. Paul- Somewhere there is a guy who in the hair band hay day tailored suits for ultra skinny, doped up, rockers with perms who used Aqua Net. That guy is looking at Paul in tonight's reverse "Paradise City" suit and seeing dollar signs. He's thinking if this style takes off I am golden. He's pulling out his Skid Row cassettes and denim jacket with patches and hoping for a Warrant resurgence. I further wonder if Paul dropped yet another $4500 on this suit? And was it just me or did the Lita Ford wannabe on the sax sound like she was playing the intro to Saturday Night Live?

  2. Lauren-So do you think tonight while Jimmy and Will I. Am basically bashed Miley Cyrus, she's sitting in her gabillion dollar mansion going, "Whatev. I was Hannah Freaking Montana. Who gives a flying damn if I can't sing? Doubt Lauren's face will ever be on a third graders' backpack." Lauren did sing the song well. I am also not going to lie that I was a tad jealous she was told by Steven that she moves him "beyond tears." I mean really think about that. Steven Tyler, the lead singer of Aerosmith, telling you that you move him...not to tears...but beyond that. Lucky girl.

  3. Stefano- he picked a song by Boyz II Men from Boomerang. I absolutely hands down love Boomerang. I mean was there anything better than Eddie Murphy pretending to lose Kirby to pick up Mike Tyson's ex wife? (Maybe the only thing better was any line from Eddie Murphy in Coming to America). After the song I realized Randy was dressed tonight as if he could have been in the "Motownphilly" video with the tie and cardigan combo. They also said Stefano "slayed" the song. The chances of Stefano slaying that song were as likely as Eddie Murphy getting down with Eloise and her gnarly toes in Boomerang. "Marrrrrccccuuuusss."

  4. Scotty-So remember on Friends when Rachel was drunk and left the "closure" message on Ross' answering machine (and throwing the cell phone into an ice bucket). Then Ross hears the message while she's trying to wrestle the phone back from him the next day and he says, "Over me? ....When were you....under me?" So when Scotty tonight said, "I'm going to go back to my country roots." I'm sitting on the couch with that Scooby Doo "Arruuu?" look thinking, "Dude when did you leave your country roots?" It's not as if last week he busted out a Craig Mack joint and tonight is back to country. I really do like Scotty a lot though and I think he may have this thing in the bag. Yesterday I dropped my car off for service and took the courtesy shuttle to work. Country station was on. You best believe Scotty's theme song was being played.....

  5. Casey- First of all can we stop with the fog machine? Seriously? I'm not at my eighth grade dance doing the running man. Second, I love this song. But not when Casey sang it. I didn't know the title was "Nature Boy." It was featured in Moulin Rouge which is my sister's favorite movie and we've watched it over two dozen times. Is there a better line ever from a song, "The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return?" No not really. Great song. Really wish Casey and his creepy camera faces he kept making didn't muck it up.

  6. Haley-"Call Me" may not have been the best choice for Haley. And even though Steven loved her stained glass dress, I thought she should have been a little more 80's looking. But what got me was she was so much better than most of the others tonight, yet she got not so hot reviews. I'm not sure how Stefano slayed and Haley got trashed.

  7. Jacob-Tonight he just hoped America liked his song. He didn't tell America that if he ended up in the bottom three we obviously did not look in the mirror. A bit more humbled tonight. Clay Aiken sang this song. He "slayed" that song when he did it. Jacob is so blah. Only to be followed by....

  8. James and his ridiculous performance of "Heavy Metal." I don't really have much to say. He drives me batty with his wanting to be like Adam. I really at this point want Adam to return. James would not win in a sing off. Even though Adam's confidence drove me mad two seasons ago, his performance of "Mad World" would beat James any day.

My pick to go home: Stefano. (I'm going to keep picking him. It has to happen eventually).

6 comments:

Catherine Merciez Wright said...

Just a little Idol gossip that I'm sure you've already heard. Apparently...Haley was hooking up with Stephano and then he dumped her so she moved on to ... Casey! Whatever! Just saying!

Catherine Merciez Wright said...

Plus...I'm not a fan of James either

babs said...

Personally I felt that all the songs were truly boring--if all these kids were so awesome they would have already been signed sealed and delivered to a contract and we would be listening to them on the radio--to my knowledge and my ears we aren't! The judges have not helped these "singers" along --people need constructive criticism at some point but apparently not these contestants--they are all perfect--at this point i wish they would say sayonara to the bottom 3 each week and be done with this farce within 2 weeks!

Anonymous said...

They need to stop with theme nights, because none of these songs make you think, yeah, that movie was awesome (exception, Risky Business), and I remember the movie because of the song. It seemed like they picked songs and then found out they were in a movie and were like, ok, let's do this.

Paul sang risky business and it wasn't good. I think Idol pays for the waredrobe and I think Paul is stocking up on the aforementioned hair metal doped out suits. At least he has that going for him.

You really forget how old people are, and then someone picks a hannah montana song. Good times.

Boomerang came out nearly 20 years ago. I mean, really, who was saying, we really need to celebrate this movie. I was actually hoping that Stefano put on a long overcoat, rolled up the sleeves, came out with a boombox and sang in your eyes. Now that is a song, that when you hear it, makes you think of John CUsack standing in front of Ione Skye's window. Good times.

I only listen to Scotty so that I can watch Anna get mad. Good stuff.

Casey's song choice was terrible. You are not Nat King Cole.

Haley had the best performance of the night, but when she was describing the song she was like, it was in ...umm..American Gigolo. And given the rumors about Richard Gere, does it make him a better actor that he pulled off being a gigolo?

Jacob was bad, you're right, not as good as Clay Aiken's version, and not even playing in the same league as Paul SImon's. And he was wearing glittere lipstick.

I have one thing to say about Will I Am. I don't like the arm band. Reminds me too much of Hitler. I don't think you see anyone wearing armbands anymore. Hitler really ruined the armband and the tiny mustache. But I digress, James should go home for telling Jimmy Iovine that he can't determine a hit just by hearing it on the piano. Um, James, you are terrible. You will never be heard from again after this. Do not argue with Jimmy. Period.

JoshS said...

Who told Casey that the grunt is musical? It seems so awkwardly misplaced and psychotic to me. He's got an interesting style but he really cant sing.

I agree with you about Haley. She wasn't that bad with Call Me. Certainly not the best song choice but I think she's come a long way and really is getting better and better every week. Glad she didn't get voted off.

I get why Stefano has an audience... it's not because he can sing, but I think he seems like a nice enough guy and the little girls just adore him.

If Lauren and Jacob were to get into a fight, my money would be on Lauren. I cant imagine why anyone is voting for either of them.

James (AKA Glambert 2) is at least moderately entertaining,,, there's a new drinking game... every time his face contorts, take a swig.

Paul... wait, which one was Paul again?

Greene Family said...

I miss Simon's criticism and agree that the judges are too "syrupy sweet" this season. I have not been a fan of most of the song choices lately either. Your comments are cracking me up! How does Stefano have so many fans that he keeps hanging on?
Ok, I need to finish catching up on your blog tomorrow!