Wednesday, April 6, 2011

American Idol-Top 9 Perform

Rock and Roll Night. A few housekeeping items: Was Randy wearing pleather? I once procured pleather. It was a baby pink pleather mini skirt. I bought it when I was a senior in high school. And then took it to Albany with me for college. Because that was truly an essential for a place where it's -45 in October. It didn't get much use. I would like it better if Randy traded in the pleather for a signature cardigan. Second, J-L0 was all "Jenny from the Block" tonight. The accent, the hands going; true New Yorker. And Steven...well we all know my thoughts on Steven. If by chance you are unsure, I second Karen's emotion from last week's blog entry.

  1. Jacob- Was going to sing "Let's Get it On." Instead, due to his moral convictions, he chose "Man in the Mirror." Thank goodness 50 Cent has not been inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame and it be suggested that Jacob sing "Magic Stick." Now you all know my deep deep love for Michael Jackson. But I find it funny Jacob does not want to sing a song about people "getting nasty" as he said, but he's totally cool with singing a song by a man who slept in beds with children. Just saying. And I love Michael. I really really do. But I still found that behavior odd. Anyway, that song is one of my favorites of all time and I'm not really a fan of anyone singing it but Michael. What really got my goat about Jacob was his comment that if he lands in the bottom 3 it's because America did not look at themselves in the mirror. I have no idea what that means. Is Jacob saying he's so good that America should vote and if they don't they are obviously mistaken and wrong? Perhaps Ryan should have given out 1-866-Idols-01 and called it a night.

  2. Haley- My brother wants Haley to sing on his piano (according to him, no euphemism) and my friend Josh wants her to sing on his (perhaps a euphemism). I do not want her to sing on my piano (absolutely no euphemism), but I would like the name of her dental surgeon, because her teeth are gorgeous. How are they that white? I've done everything minus soaking my teeth in Clorox and they don't get that white. Amazing. She sang Janis Joplin's "Another Little Piece of my Heart" well, but I thought there was a tad too much growling. Kind of like the there was also a tad too much hair crimping. J-Lo, all caught up in the moment says, "You'll be around! You've shown them you'll be around for a minute!" Pretty sure a minute was not what Haley was going for. Pretty sure another eight weeks is the goal, but who am I?

  3. Casey- Last week I said Casey should not have shaved the beard. My brother said he lost and therefore had to shave the beard. "Rule of the Beard" as he said. I respectfully disagree little brother. Actually Casey didn't lose, he was saved, turning his loss into a win-kind of like a reversed call in football after Coughlin challenges some rule no one knows and always wins. Hence he should have kept the beard. But the rule Casey is following is Rule of the Bass. Because you can't really go wrong lugging out the bass. The only low for me was Casey singing high on the final notes.

  4. Lauren- Her version of "Natural Woman" I knew would be compared to Kelly Clarkson. Lauren really did a good job on the song though. It was her best performance in the past couple of weeks. Apparently did I catch Gwen Stefani was the fashion person pulling tonight together? I'm highly disappointed. Because Lauren's outfit was more akin to her either signing "Hazy Shade of Winter" or playing Patrick Dempsey's interest in Can't Buy Me Love. Then I noticed Christian Slater in the audience and said to myself. "Well he hasn't done anything in quite awhile." Only to be bashed over the head with at least five commercials for his new show coming up right after Idol. Of course.

  5. James-He is just so irritating. I wish nothing more than Adam Lambert to come on stage and beat him up with an eyeliner pencil. If you wanted to take a risk on a slow rock song maybe 'Stairway to Heaven" would have been a better choice. I was so beyond bored with this performance. I'm beyond over James.

  6. Scotty-I loved Will I Am breaking it down to Scotty and Scotty looking at him with that deer in headlights look. Also who let Scotty wear dual denim???? I mean come on! This kid is 16. 16! And he really has star potential. At 16 I had big issues too-my Sweet 16 candle lighting ceremony and my SO ex best friend going to homecoming with MY boyfriend. Scotty sings on Idol and attends red carpet events. I SO win. ;-)

  7. Pia-Pia is just simply amazing...but for the Marisa Tomei "My Cousin Vinny"reject jumpsuit. Paired with the coiled necklace of course. What was that? Someone stop putting Pia in jumpsuits. They are not flattering. On anyone. Yes. I'm going there. Jumpsuits are AWFUL. They were awful in the 80's. They are awful brought back in 2011. Awful and no one looks good in them. It's a puffy blouse STITCHED to a pair of tapered leg pedal pushers. There is nothing good about this look. I should really tell all how I feel on this subject.

  8. Stefano-First of all I hate the song, "When a Man Loves a Woman." Maybe because when Michael Bolton re-did the song it was played on every radio station ten times a day. Second, when Stefano looks into the camera and tries to be "hot" he reminds me of Joey Tribiani and I'm ready for a "How you doin'?" Third he's forgettable. There have been so many Idol hopefuls that sound like him. Every season has a Stefano. In fact I went back to old season blogs and I read about some of the contestants that I wouldn't recall if I tripped over them. The chances of Stefano becoming the Idol champ are about as great as Pres receiving the $19,714.07 in back support.

  9. Paul-Jimmy wanted Paul to sing Johnny Cash as if he was...well..."messed up." You know Paul was like, "Dude! I can do that." And I'm pretty sure he did. I have to say he was pretty awesome tonight. I really wish he wouldn't wear skinny jeans. As adamant as I am about jumpsuits, I also feel very strongly about men in skinny jeans. Partially because I think they look weird, partially because I can't wear skinny jeans.

My pick to go home-Stefano.

6 comments:

Brooke I. said...

I'm guessing you're alright with Steven wearing skinny jeans! Am I right?
On the other hand, I agree with absolutely everything else. I love Pia and Casey. Lauren sounded great. Which one is the Adam Lambert guy? He has got to go!! And Paul seems too contrived. Oh, and country singer guy, his head and neck movements and the way he holds the mic with the tips of his fingers ....ugh!!!!! So very annoying. No?

JoshS said...

Lot's of LOL's in here tonight!!
In case you don't recall, I really can't stand Jacob. And tonight his high pitched squealing took him to a new low in my book. I mean, the guy is a complete woman. And not that there's anything wrong with that, but give me a freaking break with the morals. I am sure he doesn't like thinking about getting nasty with too many gals, but given the chance to get a little nasty with, say, Stefano and I think Jacob might be crooning his originally planned tune. I'm just sayin'.

It is true, Haley uses Clorox to whiten her teeth. But it causes you to spontaneously growl like Grover when you're singing so it may not be a good idea. I liked her better when she was singing on the piano, euphemism or not.

Casey and Lauren aren't even on the show anymore as fat as I am concerned. And I love that CCR song, and the kid does have a fogertyesqe quality about his voice but there's there's something very off about that dude. Anger issues, future homeless dude who fights with himself in the middle of the street... mark my words...

I was so with you when you were describing how you wanted Glambert to come up on stage and beat up James and I literally almost fell of my chair from this line: "beat him up with an eyeliner pencil" !!!! LOL !!!

I think Scotty is remarkably poised for a 16 year old... but all I can think of is "Baby lock them doors and turn the lights down low". And I spent the better part of the 90's in double denim so back off!!

Holy S#!T - when I saw Pia coming out in that freaking silken jumper I was shaking my head in disgust... what the hell kind of look is she going for... dumb.

Now that you mention it, there is a TOTAL resemblance to Joey Tribiani... wow!

I'm thinking Paul or Haley are gone. Little girls love Stefano... My nieces among them.

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is that tonight was supposed to be rock and roll night. Jacob sang Michael Jackson - the King of Pop. So really, my gripe is with the rock and roll hall of fame. You need to change your name to the music hall of fame, because Michael Jackson does not do rock and/or roll. It was a pretty lame night all together.

And one note about WHile my guitar gently weeps. It is only a great song because the guitar riffs on that song are awesome. And you know why? Because Eric Fucking Clapton was playing guitar on that song. You want to be entertained? Go to youtube and type in While my guitar gently weeps - prince. He does the sickest guitar solo ever.

When I hear When a man loves a woman, I think of a drunk Michelle Phiffer (sp?) slapping around Andy Garcia.

Not much more to say, but hopefully goodbye to Jacob and his shitty music. Why does everyone say he is good. I think it is truly a ploy to try and keep the black audience interested for the next few weeks.

Process of Progress said...

I am the only one who thinks that Pia is just a Celine-groupie with absolutely no direction or style of her own? Even her song tonight was a carbon copy off of the "Falling into You" album. I am not falling for it. Get your own vibe and a new wardrobe. Then you will be an American Idol to me with those singing skills.

Lyla Our Little Miracle said...

Are you dying that Pia went home! I am freaking out! What the heck! lol

Greene Family said...

Jacob's behavior over the song choice was a bit much. I'm not a fan of him - don't think he's terrible, just not a fan.
Haley did pretty well singing a Janis Joplin song, but I agree - too much growling. Haha - I had the same thought - pretty sure she was hoping to be around for more than a minute.
I love that your sister and brother have Idol comments too . . . do they also take notes?! :)
I liked Lauren and Pia's performances, but I also thought - another jumpsuit? . . . who is telling her to wear jumpsuits - awful.
Wow - I definitely say you win . . . what a crappy ex best friend and boyfriend!
Love it - I said the same thing to Jason that Stefano looks like he's getting ready to say "how you doin'?" I'm surprised he's made it this far.
I liked Paul too, but yep - guys shouldn't wear skinny jeans.