Thursday, March 13, 2008

Emeril Preston

For the past two weekends it has been cruddy weather. It's a lovely pattern. You spend all week holed up in the office while you watch the sun and then Friday afternoon you watch the clouds roll in only to crack blue sky again on Monday at 9 am. This past Saturday we had a monsoon. Preston and I were visiting Ba and Papa's for the weekend. We had already exhausted every toy. I couldn't take him anywhere because trees were literally bent in half. Then I recalled seeing Emily's photo album from last month and Seamus was such a handy man around the kitchen it gave me the inspiration to let Preston bake.

I decided cupcakes was best. I poured cake mix into the bowl and he decided he wanted a taste. Then he coughed for five minutes because inhaling dry powered goods into your trachea will do that to a person. He poured the eggs, oil and water. He even helped put the cupcake cups into the proper pans. Then we mixed!

Then after we beat the batter, Preston stuck his hand directly into the mix. Then he wanted a taste off the spoon. So now I have unsanitary batter and a toddler at risk for salmonella.Then came pouring the mix into cups which was a mess! Mom tried to help him but Mr. Independence had to do it all himself. More batter ended up on the pans and we did have some funky looking cupcakes, but all in all I think he enjoyed his first baking experience.


P.S. It was right after this cute time together where the cocktail napkin/basket throwing incident took place and the picture in the corner came to be. :-)


6 comments:

The Johnson Family 5 said...

How fun!! I can't wait to bake with Cole!! Can Preston get any cuter!?!? Oh, and by the way...Preston was on my top boys names list!! Great name!!

Jennifer said...

These are wonderful pictures and a great story! I can't wait to bake with Owen. It's so much fun to have flour all over the kitchen. I loved the picture of Preston standing in the corner too! So cute.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys had so much fun! I can't even pull out the KitchenAid without Seamus running into the kitchen and saying, "I baking please, Mommy!" He loves it and it's a great way to keep them busy :-)

Sarah said...

Kim you are such a good mom! It looks like so much fun! Will baked w/ me for the first time about 6 months ago and loved it :) Well, making a mess at least :) I can't wait for Kaela to bake with me...all though I also don't want to rush time! I love reading your blog and look forward to all upcoming post :)

Sarah said...

by the way- my name under my comment changed by accident..that's the name of another blog for a group we are in :) I think I fixed it.
Sarah

Anonymous said...

The picture of Preston licking the spoon and trying so hard to lift it himself (hence the tongue sticking out) is so incredibly cute! And is that dad doing the mixing? Did he totally come into the kitchen and take over your project with your son? Because after all, "I'm dad, only I know how to mix cupcake batter to perfection duh duh duh."