Tuesday, March 25, 2008

American Idol-Week 3

Another week people-here we go! Pitchy Count=2

Ryan started the show by saying that he has no greater pleasure in his life than introducing the judges. This is where Fox needs to intervene and let Ryan know, some divorcee in New York would...moving on....ahem. One thing that drives me nuts on Idol and DWTS and other live reality competition shows is the actors/actresses in the audience for one of the station's other shows. Tonight though they focused on the actress that plays George's wife on Grey's. Someone at Fox is totally fired for that blatant ABC plug.

So the theme for tonight was the year the singer was born. I never felt older than I did tonight. I feel like everyone was born in 1987! David Archuleta sang a song from 1990 I have never heard and I have 12 bazillion songs on my IPod. Since most of the finalists were born in the 80's and the 80's is my hands down favorite genre for music, I was looking forward to the night. The night started out with a close up of a Casio keyboard. A little flashback here. It was probably 1987 when I asked my parents for a Casio for Christmas. I begged for a Casio. This was the coolest thing I had ever seen. I could play the piano and make the sound of shattered glass at the same time! There was even a "drum pad" to jam. Nothing says the 80's like a smoking synthesizer. I woke up Christmas morning and there was a box-larger than normal, but a little odd shaped for a Casio. I was convinced my parents were just trying to play with my mind. I opened all the other gifts saving the best for last.....and it was a GLOBE! A damn globe! To this day I have never let them live this down. I wonder if there is a home movie of Christmas '87 and the utter disappointment on my face as I spin my globe looking at the lines of latitude and longitude. I think the reasoning was they had to beg me to play my real piano. Meanwhile Chris and Charlie got every video game console they ever asked for-for the remainder of their lives. In fact Katie wanted a drum set one year-maybe back in '92. She still has not gotten it. My dreams of a keyboard were gone in a stroke of the shattered glass button. Rest assured-Preston will never get a globe....I'm not bitter or anything.

Second where in the hell did Paula get those gloves? I cannot even really comment on them because I pretended she really did not leave her house with them on, let alone broadcast them on live international television. My sister's Easter card to me said, "There is a time and place for Easter bonnets...'never' and 'in the trash'." Just substitute the gloves for the bonnets.

So after Ramiele, Jason (who's birthday was tonight and no judge wished him a happy birthday-rather he was slammed withe negativity), Syesha and Chikeze, who were all o.k, Brooke sang the Police. Listening to her I could actually say that I would buy her album. Then Randy says,"I keep waiting for something to happen." What? What is it that Randy is waiting for? What exactly would Randy like Brooke to do? Other than perhaps sitting at the piano buck naked this poor girl cannot catch a break.

Next up was my man Michael. Whose parents' surname is Burke leaving me scratching my head as to where Johns came from as a surname. Anyway I bet you all are on the edge of your seat wanting to hear about my mystery neighbor. Ok maybe not,but I'll tell you anyway. The identity has been revealed. I was waiting for the elevator when I heard the door to his apartment open and I actually smoothed my hair and out walked my mystery neighbor and honestly I have never been more disappointed. I mean I never really expected a Michael Johns look a like, but this was Michael John's father. He is like a good thirty years older than me! So Marrah says, "maybe that's your neighbor's dad." That theory was shot to hell when he stuck out his hand and said,"Hi, I'm D, your new neighbor." I don't understand why in my paperback novels does the career lady with the great apartment and the cute dog (in my case substitute Preston for the dog) have a new hunky neighbor move in with bulging biceps who of course is proficient in fixing plumbing and has some cool name like Colten and broods. No I have someone older. And not George Clooney older either. Just old. Like remember in the movie "Big Daddy" when Adam Sandler's ex girlfriend dates that older guy that ends up working at Hooters? Yeah-that's him. I have Hooter's guy. Ok that's mean, the guy is really nice, it's just my super could have thrown me the bone after saying he was single...like oh yeah and older than your dad. I digress....

Micheal totally rocked to Queen's "We Will Rock You/We are the Champions" I also like that song because right now the Giants are champions and the Patriots suck...and ok off the soapbox. The only thing I hated was the cheesy laser light show behind him that reminded me of Metallica's"Enter Sandman" video.

Carly sang "Total Eclipse of the Heart." Every season someone does this song and every season I hope for the same thing-that someone will totally "Old School" this song on national television. That was by far the funniest part of a movie since...pick any scene in "Coming to America"

David Archuleta by the way has been compared to ClayAiken in a recent article. I take credit for that analogy. Someone has been reading my blog!

DAMN Kristy Lee Cook had to go and play the patriotic-we-are-at-war-America-so-here's-to-you-troops card and Simon fell for it hook, line and sinker (so disappointed in Simon here). Now because he told her it was brilliant she is totally in for another week. Can we just talk about the photos they all show from childhood-they were very cute, but seriously when the Cooks went through the family photo album did they really confer and think hard saying, "You know this picture here of Pop and Kristy with Pop shirtless is perfect for the baby photo montage." I know it was probably a bathing suit, but a Christmas photo would have worked fine. For some reason her dad reminded me of a bald version of Clark Griswald's cousin in law Eddie in the National Lampoon movies.

David Cook sang Chris Cornell's version of Michael Jackson's "Billy Jean." Although I liked it, I think it's cheating. The original was from the year of his birth-the Chris Cornell version was from the 1990s. That was stretching the Idol theme I think. Also the interview with his mom with the fake fire behind her-I mean really.

So my prediction is Ramiele goes home since Kristy made every shirtless guy in a trailer proud this week.

6 comments:

Renay said...

Another stellar update! I'm surprised you didn't mention the "ripped look" of Paula's dress-even my hub asked if she got in a cat fight before the show and he kept saying how bad she looks:-( Poor thing.

I too felt quite old with the renditions from last night. I sang the version I know of Billie Jean to my hub (I'm not a singer but I had my best MJ voice going) b/c he didn't recognize the song but the dude is still really good.

I actually really liked Carly and totally agree with you about Brooke-what more do they want???

So sorry to hear about your neglectful childhood-I mean a globe instead of a keyboard??? It's a good lesson for us moms;-)

And onto your now no longer a mystery neighbor-sorry man. Just sorry.

Your post was jam packed and I could go on but here's my prediction:

Bottom 3:
1) Ramielle
2) Chikeze
3) Kristi Lee
Ramielle will go home.
We'll see soon enough, Renay Out!

Lisa said...

Love the updates...because I'm missing a lot of the episodes myself. I had no idea you were so close to NY. It is a fabulous week here. I'll hardly need a jacket today. Going to see a broadway play tonight so should be fun. Keep up the Idol chatter. We want to bring Liz here too when she's just a tad older, but I think she'd enjoy the city now.
Lisa

Catherine Merciez Wright said...

OK,
Renay and Kim, hilarious and insightful AI wrap ups! Totally agree about Chekize, Ramiele and Kristy Lee. I must dissent a a couple performers though.
Brooke - I haven't quite worked out my feelings on her. Her voice isn't that strong and she's an awkward performer on the other side of her piano (might I refer to the yellow dress dancing mostrosity). I got really excited when she started an understated "Every Breath You Take" but blew it by adding the band and the weird arrangement. She could have had a breakout if she would have kept it simple.
Carly - OK I have to say I'm not objective. Total Eclipse is my signature karoke song and Kim, I do the "Old School" version! (I've been kicked off the mic a couple times too!). I didn't think she pulled it off. It didn't have the heart or even a hint of the gravely Bonnie Tyler voice.
David - I struggle with David. I cannot help but be impressed with him but at the same time the fact that these really different versions of the songs are someone else's takes the impressiveness away a bit. That being said, he does have an awesome voice and I still loved the "Billie Jean". I totally want to go at him with a pair of scissors though. That hair is awful!!
Bummer about the single guy! Know one wants to end up working at Hooters with their boyfriend, Old Man River.
That's my 2 cents (more like 5 bucks but I really don't feel like being at work today!)

Anonymous said...

Kim even though you got a globe, you still got your kick-ass blue boots so stop complaining. And yes, mom and dad still owe me a drumset (I have the piece of paper they gave me on my 15th birthday saying I could have one which basically was my only gift I got that year for my birthday and yes I am still waiting for it). Even though I don't play drums anymore, when I get a house, I'm making them buy me one.

Okay, on to the post...very funny as per usual. I agree, your man was super-de-duper. Remember when Ace attempted We Will Rock You and sucked? Yeah, Michael was better. And I'm guessing John is his middle name and then he added an "s".

Carly did great but they cut her up again and I fear she will be in the bottom three. And you know in her mind she was like, "don't say I fuckin' need you more than ever...don't say I fuckin' need you more than ever..."

And dammit! Archuleta is not like Clay! Archuleta needs to be punched in the head and maybe he won't be so "aw shucks". Steve is convinced that Bashful and Goofy got together and created this kid.

I totally knew you would say something about Kristy's dad shirtless. She was actually good. She shouldn't be in the bottom three. Instead it will be Ram, Carly, and Syesha. I have Syesha going home.

Oh and everytime there was hand waving from the crowd going on, Steve would laugh and then dad would start being American Idol Dad.

Sarah said...

I love your idol post Kim. They are great. I was watching it last night and thought as soon as I saw Paula's gloves! I was hoping you would say something about those! What? Talk about UGLY! And the rings over them? Now, was that a dress? I thought it was at first, then I thought I saw a view from the back and thought it was a shirt maybe? Made it even worse I think...hmm...I'm sorry your new neighbor isn't a young, sweet, compasionate caring hottie! Doesn't life always work that way?

Anonymous said...

haha i totally agree with the total eclipse of the heart...i was sitting there thinking the old school version was the real version so i ended up being disappointed