Sunday, January 2, 2011

Auld Lang Syne

Welcome 2011.  2010 was a good year.  When my ex husband left four and a half years ago, I looked at my bank accounts (depleted), the damage to my credit card bill (staggering), my six month old baby who couldn’t sit up yet because of his back, an apartment that was $2300 a month, my father in the hospital recovering from quadruple bypass two days prior and I just recall looking at Mel (who raced up from Manhattan to Westchester when I called forty minutes prior) and said, “What am I going to do?”  It started the whirlwind that was my life.  And this past Tuesday I closed on my first house….all by myself.  When I came to Virginia I started looking at houses.  Every resale I’d look at had something I didn’t want to deal with (kitchen remodel, bath remodel, wallpaper to pull down).  Then I figured single family houses may not be the way to go (after all I wasn’t going to mow on the weekends).  A townhouse seemed like the best option.  I visited the one I finally decided on each time I’d look at a different subdivision.  I took the plunge.  I would build from the ground up.

Building this house was cathartic. It was my rebuild. Each nail represented my revenge.  Maybe that sounds immature.  But Preston and I did not deserve what has transpired.  It’s been hard.  I want to write about it and I will one day.  I want to put it all down because I need to, but for now suffice it to say that signing on the dotted line and being handed the keys was as close as I can come to closure.  As I bought all new furniture to replace what we picked out together, I got closure.  And being able to do this for my son, the son who I wheeled everyday three to four block to our apartment in a stroller regardless of the weather because there was no parking and no one would give up their spot…was closure.   For you Preston.  Welcome Home. 

IMG_6216

IMG_6217

It was only fitting because Mel and I typically parallel a lot in life, that she became ENGAGED this week.  So to you, my forever friend, much love, peace and happiness always!  Now let’s get planning that wedding!!!!!!

01-02-2011 09;28;06PM 

(May 1986)

14 comments:

Alex said...

Kim I am SO happy and proud reading this! You are doing amazing! What a wonderful and exciting new beginning for you and Preston!!!
Happy New Year!

Katie Jaye said...

2011 will be a wonderful year for you! I am so happy for you and the Little Man, embarking on a new journey in your own home. Congrats! I am looking forward to seeing you this weekend and helping you paint those walls!

And congrats again to Melski! (I love that picture of you two holding hands. So sweet!)

The Johnson Family 5 said...

This is so touching! I really did get teary eyed for you. I can't even begin to imagine everything you and preston have been through, but I think it's taught you to appreciate life a little bit more. You are an awesome mother and I hope to one day soon call you a "real life" friend since I already think of you has a friend. Congrats again friend on the new house...new life...new you! amazing!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful post! I wish I was there so I can give you a great big hug. You are amazing! Congratulations again on your new home!

Caden and Mommy said...

Kim, you are an inspiration! Isn't it amazing what the human body can endure?! All that you were dealt four years ago, and the fact that you made it through! What an accomplishment! Preston is so lucky to have you :0) I can't wait to hear the stories that come out of your move, I'm sure Preston will give us a few good laughs. ... and to Mel, congratulations! That is so neat you guys have been close friends for so long!

Ever Changing said...

Thank you for the inspiration Kim, it means a lot! And PLEASE get that book going, there are some of us out there that are still in the planning phases of vengeance and need guidance!!! Congrats to you and Preston, you are such a wonderful Mother!!!

The Bankesters said...

You are a fabulous mother and woman. I want to be you when I grow up:) Preston is a lucky kid to have you as his mother. Congratulations on your house! You know we can't all wait to see the pictures.
May 2011 be the best year yet for you and Preston.

Mel said...

OK, you made me cry again this week! I am SO proud of what you have done! its amazing. I will be down very soon to visit, since the fans have been installed. And i do heart that picture of us :)

Anonymous said...

Best wishes to you and Preston and I hope you have a very happy and blessed new year!

The Wymers said...

Congratulations on getting the keys to your new house! I can't wait to see pics of the new place ... I'm sure you and Preston will fill it to the rafters with love, happiness, and lots of great memories. Love you guys! :o)

Unknown said...

SO very happy for you! I can't wait to see pictures of the new place. I can't imagine how wonderful it must feel! And congrats to Mel...2011 is off to an amazing start for both of you!

aka-mama said...

Congratulations! I am a blurker at the "what am I going to do now?" stage. I read ur blog because u inspire me as a single mom! May your new home be filled with lots of good times and happy memories!

Cheryl said...

oh my gosh i love this post... and of course the newest one... Kim you have accomplished SO much these last few years and I am SOOOOOO proud of you!!! Your bravery and determination is unflinching and i love you all the more for it. xoxoxoxo

Cher

Greene Family said...

Kim - you have me teary-eyed. I'm so proud of you and so happy for you and your little man to have this new beginning!! I can't even imagine what the two of you went through 4.5 years ago, but wow, what an awesome time for you now! You are very inspiring, and you are an amazing mom!
Congratulations to Mel too! What a cute picture of the two of you!
Happy 2011, my friend! May this be the best year yet for you! Looking forward to all of the fun stories you will have to tell this year! Love and hugs to you and Pres!