Sunday, December 12, 2010

It’s Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas

This week as I posted on Facebook-the towel has been thrown in! I am finished with all gifts Preston.  I literally spent Thursday after my firm Christmas party in Toys R Us and Target walking aimlessly up and down aisles.  There is nothing this child needs.  At all.  He has clothes to clothes a small nation.  He has the Tonka collection.  He also just had a birthday and a birthday party.  After coming home with the last of the bags I realized there were four bags up in the attic already.  So much for cutting back.  My parents’ gift is still causing issues.  Seriously.  I have NO idea what to get either of them.  It’s actually quite annoying.  They have EVERYTHING.  Think of what Preston has then multiply it by 100…and then multiply by two since there are two of them.  I still have time.  I am hoping a miracle idea comes to life.

This weekend we had two birthday parties-one which I turned down because we had company over today.  We started yesterday with the neighborhood Christmas party.  Each child brought an ornament to hang on the tree, the decorated cookies and the best part-Santa.  (*read, free Santa.  No trekking to the mall, standing on line and paying $35 dollars for three 3x5 semi-decent pictures with a mall Santa).  And no mall pictures means no crazy mommy saying, “Yeah…that picture is awful.  Let’s take it again since I’m paying $25 bucks for blurry 3x5 pictures and have to play paper, rock scissors to see which family member gets a picture.  Oh I can buy more?  For $45? For 2 extra?  Wow.  A real deal you have going on.”  I’ll stop, but you can imagine right?

IMG_5979

IMG_5982

IMG_5985

IMG_5988

Then it was off to Kelly’s house so Preston could see their tree and the train set around same.  He would have stayed all day.  Then it was time to put up our tree.  As you know from past years, my parents’ tree is a tad ridic.  It’s huge, it requires three ladders and two people to get the angel atop the thing, but the end result is stunning.  This year Preston was over the moon to decorate and sang his Christmas carols while doing his trimming!

IMG_5991

IMG_6004

IMG_6007

IMG_5994

The ornament that he is holding here was bought by my mother a few weeks before he was born.  I was given a lethal diagnosis but she refused to give up hope.  I remember telling her that I had wished she did not buy the ornament because what if it never hung on the tree?  Preston’s star.  It was an awesome feeling to watch him hang it up…take it down…try a different spot (and we are still doing this today).  And here is the finished result:

IMG_6052

After that was his friend’s birthday party at the new bounce house place.  I think the parents have more fun than the kids.  Today we had company over (not for the Giant game unfortunately).  Here is Pres totally enthused about getting the first piece of Christmas cake! 

IMG_6057

5 comments:

Jaime said...

I'm in awe of your parents tree! I know I've seen previous tree pictures but it's still amazing to see! Preston truly is an INCREDIBLE star! I love seeing him helping out and I wish that I could hear him singing.

Love you both!

Marrah said...

I heart you both!! The tree is ridiculous and the Preston star will forever hang proudly on that tree!!! He is amazing kid with so much to offer the world!! We are truly lucky to have him in our lives!

Unknown said...

Happy 5th Birthday Preston...from a post past. He is one lucky dude to have a mommy like you. Yep, your tree is beautiful! Aidan had fun decorating ours too. He quickly grabbed his stool and starting putting on ornaments like it was a daily routine for him. Pres truly is a shining star!!!

Caden and Mommy said...

Adorable pictures of Preston with Santa, he looks so proud. Somehow I've gotten way behind in blog land :0( I love the story behind the star ornament, so sweet. And your Dad rocks with his decorating! Love it.

Greene Family said...

Your neighborhood is fantastic! Adorable pictures of Preston with Santa!
Your parents' tree is absolutely beautiful again this year! Simon and Jude would sit and stare at it all day long! Love your handsome boy trimming the tree and singing Christmas carols!
That is the sweetest star that Pres is hanging on the tree in that picture! He's an amazing blessing! I love that picture of him on the ladder too!
You guys are going to have to come visit so Pres and I can bake together! He always looks so proud of his cakes, cupcakes, and cookies!