Sunday, December 19, 2010

All Aboard the Gingerbread Train

I’m not crafty.  People know this.  I walk into Michael’s and I feel like a failure.  Raw wood, pieces of glass, clasps and beads, pom poms, dried flowers, walls of ribbon.  I am usually running into this store for cute cupcake holders or stickers for Preston. That’s about the extent of Michael’s and I.  Speaking of ribbon, my father asked me to pick up ribbon for wreaths to hang outside their house at Michael’s recently.  Both Mel and I went to procure the ribbon.  We failed.  We didn’t buy enough ribbon or strong enough ribbon. And we really took our time too.  We pondered over the THREE aisles dedicated to RIBBON (which is just plain ludicrous) and had to decide between velvet ribbon, piped ribbon, embossed ribbon, red ribbon, maroon ribbon, off red ribbon.  We may have sweat.

I admire people who can take paint, glue, glitter and a few pieces of fabric and create things that I see on the internet sold for $50 dollars and buy.  Like Preston’s paper Mache antique baseball tissue box cover for his new bathroom.  I’m lucky I can color…barely. 

Yet every year for the past three we buy the gingerbread kits.  One year it was a train, last year a house and this year a train again.  Last year I made my brother Chris build the house.  His patience level is even less than mine.  So when he had it all ready and then put the roof on and the sides collapsed there was not a lot of Christmas cheer piping out of the kitchen.  This year I opened the kit only to find a bag of powder.  Looking quick it looked like a bag of cocaine you’d see on a drug raid on Cops.  Apparently that was the powder to MAKE the icing.  And you had to work quick because the icing hardens fast.  This year I feel we have done much better.  I was even impressed I used the icing bag to make a window, write our names and paint a BOW on a peppermint.  Ha!  Try painting a bow on a peppermint!  Preston is very proud and told me that we did a great job!  He spent more time eating icing instead of spreading icing however!

IMG_6074

IMG_6075

IMG_6076

IMG_6077

Preston also tackled his first 100 piece puzzle he got from Aunt Melski.  I barely helped him at all!  Notice the little train next to him-the Santa express from Grandma! 

IMG_6058

Hope everyone is enjoying their last few days before Christmas!

7 comments:

mel said...

ahh the ribbon... we got that instead of having Prestons party bc someone cancled it... anyway- we searched so hard for the proper ribbon and he came home and your pere just shot us down. so sad. His puzzle skills are so good. clearly he got his cognitive thinking and devleopment (and well, all brain development) from you!

Susan said...

Well, how cute is that train!!? Preston is right. You two did a great job! Very cute and crafty! And he does look SO proud! Wish I could find one of those. I didn't see one at our Michaels.

Andrea said...

Looks great! And the best part is sneaking the candy while making it and accidentally getting frosting all over your fingers. Yum!! How long do you think it will stay in tact?

Jen Weisser said...

We made a train last year! So much fun! Although kids all hopped up on the sugar not so much fun! I am very impressed with your bow on the peppermint!! Great job!!!

Katie Jaye said...

Steve and I were in Michael's the other day to pick up paints for his model robot I bought him (his favorite gift for Christmas, go figure it was ten bucks). You shouldn't feel like a failure considering you made a paint-by-number dog for my college dorm (which puts you in LAW SCHOOL when you made it) and it came out very nice!

This BLOG entry was very witty. It made me smile throughout!

Caden and Mommy said...

If I lived closer I would do your ribbon shopping for you ~ I'm kind of a ribbon freak, I can't help it :0) Your train came out very cute. As you saw, we did Graham cracker houses this year. I cant say I dig the frosting mess.
Preston rocks the puzzles. Caden got a few puzzles for Christmas. His puzzle skills rock, I'm quite impressed.

Greene Family said...

Your story of being in the ribbon aisle at Michael's made me laugh (sorry!). It sounds like you two made a great effort in pick the right ribbon though!
I love how proud Pres looks with the gingerbread train! It looks great and yummy too, and I'm very impressed with your bow on the peppermint! Simon loved eating the icing too! I think next year we are going back to the gingerbread house, but we'll see.
Wow - way to go, Pres! He is awesome with the puzzles! There's always a train close by, right?!