Monday, February 1, 2010

OK, OK I Get it, We Should have Packed the Darn Shovels

I recall it vividly. My dad hands, on his hips, glancing around the garage a few days before the big move from Long Island to Virginia.  He was scanning what was left and we were deciding what to leave for the new owners (*read* crap we did not want to move 400 miles).  We glanced at the far corner which housed about six snow shovels; plastic ones, aluminum ones, scoops shovels, flat shovels.  And we laughed.  And we decided those were so not needed where we were going.  Richmond had seen like five inches of snow in about 10 years.  Ha ha ha.   Laugh Laugh Laugh. Mother Nature got the last laugh.

This weekend marked our THIRD “8 plus inches of snow” storm since we have moved here.  THIRD.  And we don’t have a snow blower.  Because they don’t even order those in inventory at Lowe’s here.  People don’t even have salt and sand-they use cat litter.  And can I tell you how long the driveway is?  Well when you are shoveling it it feels NEVER ENDING!  But alas, there was nothing sweeter than waking up Saturday morning to my dude saying, “Get up Mommy!  Grandma says we are going to make pancakes and the snow is falling!” Adorable.  So here again are MORE pictures of Pres in the snow.  I swear it feels as if we live in Vermont.  And thankfully since Pres is small, the snowpants Melski bought him two years ago still fit, albeit a lot tighter, but at least that kept him warmer than the sweatpants/windpants combination.  Notice though we have no snow boots for him, just rain boots, but they did the trick!

Here are pictures of the storm in progress.  It fell at almost an inch an hour.

IMG_2615

IMG_2616

Nothing is more amazing to me than the severe clear blue sky the day after a storm.

IMG_2633

And here are a few of us out in the snow!

IMG_2625

IMG_2630

IMG_2632

IMG_2626

IMG_2636

IMG_2638

And this picture was taken two days before-it was 60 and the grass was starting to get nice and green.

IMG_2612

Well I am off to enjoy my unexpected snow day from work!!!

15 comments:

Mel said...

I was just about to send you a HARASSING email that the blog should be updated especially given the snow day. Very pretty. Its too bad that matt got snowed in and couldnt "log on" to check email since his phone is not in service do to bill nonpayment.

Melissa Swartley said...

Sounds like you brought the NY snow down with you! What the heck? We have nothing up here! Nothing! Love the cute pic's of Preston out in the snow! LOL, I have totally done the sweatpants/ wind breaker pants on my kids when they unexpectantly had a huge growth spurt and didn't fit into their snow pants! Stay warm! P.S. You have been nominated for a Kreativ Blogger Award (check out my blog!)

Unknown said...

I am seriously in shock!! Your VA is snow is totally blowing our NY snow out of the water!! We have had nothing, barely a flake, since the sledding day three weeks ago. That is just crazy. I am more than happy to mail you down some snowpants...because I bet the second you received them in the mail, it would suddenly be 70 and you would need your flip flops again! So let me know if you want to try and trick Mother Nature! Pres, you look awesome buddy!!

Tinka said...

I love that blue sky!

We all have misconseptions about weather in unfamiliar states. I went to CO thinking it never got warm there. Mom had to mail out my shorts after she dropped me off for college!

The Wymers said...

So you're getting the snowstorms that we were expecting when we moved up here to Minnesota! LOL!

Love all the pics of the Pres-meister enjoying the snow. And the pic with the grass out the window, so pretty, I have officially forgotten what grass looks like! Perhaps ours will make an appearance by April some time! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You guys got the same storm that we did! We got 8.5 inches!! I'm enjoying my second snow day from school!

Glad Pres had fun in the snow!!! Such a sweetie!


Tonya :)

Andrea said...

We're supposed to be getting more snow this weekend. I wonder if it will make its way down to your end?

I just want to know why the snow always has to come on the weekend. We need more snow days for the kids!

Jen Weisser said...

Wow, cant believe you have gotten more snow than us! We really dont have more than 2" on the greougnd now & had bare grass last week!

mejane said...

So the storm came as predicted. At least Preston had his snow pants to keep warm and dry (my poor boys). Sounds like VA is ideal for winter weather though. A sufficient amount of snow to have a bit of fun, but not nearly long enough to induce a depressed state, and enough sunshine for flip flops in between? Not bad.

Unknown said...

Beautiful snow pictures. The action photos of the storm in progress looked a bit tooooo cold for me. Happy to see Pres got some snow fun out of it. Adorable pictures!

Caden and Mommy said...

So like I said in my other comment. Crazy weather .... flip flops to snow boots! You are funny ... Mother Nature had the last laugh. But all of that snow makes for some great pictures!
I love that Ratatouille joins Preston at the kitchen table :0)

Rosie said...

Love the pictures Kim... Whatever Preston decides to do , he will be great... He's such a cutie!!!! I wishes we had weather like that here in Vegas

marrah said...

Love the snow pics...and of course, love my Pres-Pres pics...Don't work too hard tomorrow. xoxox

Greene Family said...

Ok - I think you need to ask for your shovels back, and then it will stop snowing! :) I was told that there are going to be 6 storms before we can finally say good-bye to the snow this winter (we're getting the 4th one now).
Beautiful pictures, and Preston is so so so cute playing in the snow! What an awesome way to wake up on a Saturday morning - cute announcements from your dude!

Laura Wolf said...

I think it is too funny that places that "don't get snow" are receive "some!!" I love all the pictures and remark on the fact that Preston managed to have snow pants in a town that doesn't see snow but there doesn't seem to be any shovels or snow blowers. I live in MI where snow is a sure thing so we are always prepared. I'll let my husband tell Lowe's to get some snow blowers out there!