Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Family

Family.  We use that word all the time.  We have our immediate family, our extended family, our family of friends, our family of POLPs.  Family.  When two people get married you inherit a family.  In laws.  And sometimes you like the family.  You ingrain yourself in their lives.  You start to love them and their children.  You share memories and stories, holidays and special occasions.  Then you divorce.  And the family that you inherited goes away, perhaps not right away, but things fade.  Over time, after the sides are chosen, the bonds that were once formed remain as pictures in a photo album. 

But when you have a child, the family bond is never really broken.  There are aunts and uncles and cousins and grandparents.  And in a normal divorce two parents go their separate ways, but bring the child around their respective families.  In a normal divorce.  In a not so normal divorce this doesn’t happen.  So when my “sister in law” and I reconnected, we both realized that no matter what, we each had a child and that child had a cousin.  And my son has two aunts.  And a great grandmother.  And an entire extended family.  And when the opportunity presented itself that I was able to fit New York and Boston in the same trip, there was a very happy and not awkward at all reunion. And I remembered that I loved this family and fun with this family and that this family was torn.  Yet there is a four year old boy that deserves to be a part of that family.  Yes, there was the initial hesitation, the uncertainty of what was said, what was believed, etc., but that melted away quickly.  And we had fun.  And that’s what counts.

We started our trip Saturday to New York.  Lunch and goodies at Aunt Pat and Uncle Dennis’.  Even Aunt Melski dropped by to give some love to her favorite godson.

IMG_2977

IMG_2983

That night we had a camp out at my parents’ apartment in the city.  In the morning, it was off to Boston.  First we met up with Maeve.  It’s so awesome that we are all older now and I can totally hang out with Katie’s best friend.  She too had to love on the lil’ man (not to mention lots of cupcakes were consumed-yummy thanks Maeve)!

IMG_2991

Then it was off to Aunt Angela’s house to meet up with her and Isaiah. When I met Isaiah he was 3 1/2.  He is 14!  It’s unreal how he is so grown up and what a sweet amazing young man he is. Angela has done an amazing job raising him! We took our Valentines out to dinner at Bugaboo Creek Steakhouse.  It’s similar to an Outback but the animals on the wall randomly start to talk.  The buffalo states, “Hi I’m Bill.  I normally don’t sing in front of people.  I sing in the shower.”  This irked Preston to no end that for two days he told me how buffaloes cannot fit in the shower and that why would the buffalo sing in the shower anyway.  Finally I told him, “It was a joke Pres!” to which he replied, “Well it wasn’t funny.” This child. The next day we went to visit Nunny again and had lunch.  Then we visited Maeve at the Channel 7 (NBC affiliate) studios in Boston for a tour of the newsroom.  Totally awesome! We then ended our day at Quincy Market for treats!  It was a great visit.  Here are some pics!

IMG_2997

IMG_2999

IMG_3002

IMG_3003

IMG_3005

21857_1327321816606_1037749776_975270_7067180_n

 

IMG_3006

23 comments:

Maeve said...

YAY!!!!! I was soooo excited to see you both!!! I love that I'm not just Katies friend... but yours too!!! So glad you had a fun weekend LOVE the pics!!!! tell lil man hi!
xoxoox

Jennifer said...

Great post Kim. I got nothin' else:) Except of course that Preston is a doll!

marrah said...

Love the pics...I KNOW Preston is one lucky dude to have you as a mom!!! xoxox Love you both...

CarolGio said...

Hi Kim - Angela sent the link to your blog & I love it. Just spent hours reading and checking out all the pics & videos. Sorry we missed your trip up this weekend but next time we definitely will get together. We need to get Preston ready for spring in his red baseball gear (not that pinstripe stuff!). You're doing a great job raising a beautiful boy. Can't wait to see you. Until then take care. Love from Preston's "Great Aunt" Carol :) PS - this is my first ever blog comment so don't make fun of it if it looks goofy !!

Caden and Mommy said...

What I love most about this post is that Preston has "sugar" in the majority of the pictures! I bet he LOVED this weekend!
Kuddos to you for being a rational Mommy even though his Daddy isn't the smartest guy! I am sure someday Preston will thank you for keeping him in touch with ALL of his family.
He is just so dang cute in each picture - that ear to ear grin, It looks like he was having a good 'ol belly laugh with Uncle Steve!
And Hello, how fun to go the news studio. We recently have had an awful murder in our little town and all of the news trucks from Seattle have rolled in ... I called my Mom to tell her I think I missed my calling, I always have thought it would be fun to be a reporter ... yes, I'm a dork :0) I love the pic of you and Preston in the news room!
I'm glad the weather didn't hamper your trip! I know that would have really put you over the edge!

Caden and Mommy said...

Forgot to mention, I love his logic with Bill :0) Too funny that he finds NO humor in it! He keeps you on your toes!

Jaime said...

Great post Kim! Family is so important, no matter which family it is. I love being a part of our POLP family!

Looks like a great trip and I agree with Trisha, gotta love that Pres was chowing down on something sugary in several pictures! I especially love the last picture - I think that the cookie is as big as Pres' head!

Danielle said...

Great post Kim! it looks like you had a great trip up to NY and Boston! Preston will thank you one day for making an effort...even if he didn't like the talking buffalo - his comments about that are hysterical by the way! Still such a cutie!

Unknown said...

What a touching post! Family is the BEST, and Preston is such a lucky guy to have so many people who love him so much! You are awesome for ensuring that he grows up with a wonderful sense of togetherness and happiness with his entire family. You rock!! What a fun weekend - particularly the cupcakes and that giant cookie!!

Mel said...

What a great weekend! I of course loved seeing my little man! Looks like you guys had a blast in Boston! We knew that Preston got some good genes from his paternal side, and that was obviously from the people up in Boston and not that toolbox (my word of choice for him this week) in VA!

Jillsblog said...

What? You were in Boston.....? Next time let us know we can have the boys meet!!!!

Glad you had fun. Boston isn't that bad after all...:)

Kami said...

Man, I totally think your trip should have included a trip to Dallas! I mean, it's practically next door to Boston ;)

I just need to get me some Preston! He's such a little ham and I love it!

The Johnson Family 5 said...

Sorry, that above comment is from Katie :) I was still signed into someone's blog that I was working on :)

Melissa Swartley said...

Love it! What a great time! LOL, Preston is hysterical! I love how he had some beef about the buffalo singing in the shower! Too funny! Holy moley, that is a huge cookie! I bet he enjoyed every bit of it! Great pic's!!! Glad you all had fun!!!

mejane said...

What a great post! Thanks for sharing. I agree with what everyone else said...you are an awesome mom for setting aside any grudges against your ex and showing Preston just how much he is loved by everyoe.

Loved the Buffalo Bill story!

Unknown said...

Family is so very important. You are such a great mom! What a good example you are setting on Preston. He will really appreciate what you have done when he gets older. Pres would make a great news anchor if being a doctor doesn't happen!!

Sarah said...

Really great post, Kim. My parents divorced when I was very young, and your post and things you said make me think of my childhood. Family is important. Preston is adorable, as always!! That kid is just too cute for words :)

Jen Weisser said...

Good for you setting aside all the "normal" divorce family crap & getting together w/ the ex"s family! Preston will apprieciate that when he's older! Family is so very important! Looks like you had a great time!

Destini said...

Sounds like a fun weekend, with tons of awesome food! I'm with Preston, I don't think it's very funny that a buffalo would sing in the shower either! Don't you just love the rational stage? Taylor used to ask me if characters on TV had "real" skin - if they had "real" skin, then to her, they were real.

The Wymers said...

Looks like you two had a fun trip! Love all the pics of Preston in the Newsroom! And, c'mon, really...Buffalos don't sing in the shower! LMAO! :o)

Chelsea and Cody said...

Looks like you had so much fun! Hey...I am on facebook and would love to see cute pics of Preston! You can search me as Chelsea Winterholler or send me an email at chelseawinterholler@yahoo.com with your name and I will search for you!

Greene Family said...

You are an awesome mom, Kim!! Family is so important, and Preston is loved by SO many! I am proud of my mom for all of the effort that she made with making sure that we spent time with my father's side of the family when we were kids, as I am sure Preston will be proud of you!
It looks like you and Preston had a great weekend! Love the pictures of your handsome man! He's so cute with that big cookie, and how fun to tour the newsroom!
Preston - you are too much with the Bill story! Crack me up!

Lisa said...

I always LOVE seeing what you guys are up too. Such fun! Preston is absolutely ADORABLE, as always!