Sunday, May 3, 2009

Our Weekend with Cousin Caitlin

This weekend kicked off when I got off the plane from Arkansas. No offense to Arkansas but I never felt more like a fish out of water. I am Catholic, but have never seen a billboard that just said JESUS. Anyway, my cousin Caitlin came down to spend the weekend with us. Saturday we took Preston to the berry farm to go strawberry picking. My mom definitely had a good time picking strawberries and ended up with about 12 pounds. They were the most beautiful, huge, red strawberries I have ever seen. I would love to know where the Driscoll farm is because those berries that I buy in the grocery store are seriously pathetic. We ended up giving many in the neighborhood bowls of strawberries. It was a lot of fun. Mom picked some winners. We have been eating strawberries all weekend. Here are some pics:This weekend also marked PaPa starting in his garden. Here is Preston wanting to help out. I promised him next weekend he can use his new hoe (joke never gets old people).
Today we celebrated my birthday a day early-that is after my real birthday present-my ex moving back to town. I have so many mixed feelings-I am totally indifferent to him-personally I can care less what he does and where he does it, but I get pissy when I think of how Preston is thrown into this mix. We met him at Target so he can start getting items for Preston for his apartment; Preston was receptive, but Mommy still was not to be out of sight for that long and he had no reservations about coming back into the car at the end of the visit. I just know that somehow this won't work out. That he will ingrain himself into Preston's life and leave again. Not to mention the thousands in back support he owes. The only good thing is he has now availed himself to the jurisdiction of Virginia so.....Enough wasting time on that subject.
I got very nice gifts-beautiful earrings and clothes from my parents and Pres got me earrings and flip flops. I also got some cash to buy myself-not Preston, more clothes. My cousin made me a beautiful collage with pictures of Preston and I together which of course made me cry. I will be hanging in my office. She is so creative! Then we went to dinner at a great Italian place. A big Happy Birthday to my birthday buddy Marrah (kind of amazing we share a birthday-which was so much fun when we were in college) and to Mike Mallison!

13 comments:

marrah said...

I love you kim!! Happy Birthday!!! Looks like you had a great time strawberry picking. Pres-Pres looks great (as usual). You look AWESOME in the last pic.

xoxoxoxoxox

Unknown said...

I agree with Marrah...you are one hot mama in that last pic! As for your lovely birthday "present" - I will be hoping that you and Preston don't end up beng disappointed by him yet again. I can't imagine how frustrating that must be for you, particularly as a mom. Hopefully the other wonderful gifts in your life will make up for that one not-so-nice one! Mmm, I could go for some of those strawberries, they look yummy! Have a wonderful birthday tomorrow - much love and happiness to you!

Danielle said...

Happy Birthday Kim! That is a great picture of you guys! It looks like strawberry picking was tons of fun. Riley and Peyton love strawberries-they would love to go do that!
I hope everything works out with your ex moving to the area, I'm sure it's hard having to worry about Preston getting hurt if he leaves again. I'm sending hugs up your way that it all works out!

Alex said...

Happy birthday Kim!!!!
Sounds like Kansas is an interesting place...LOL
Preston is so cute!!! Is it wrong that I have my eyes on him for Anaïs??? LOL!!!!!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Kim. Yummmm! Strawberries...my kiddos would be all over them. Preston is as adorable as always. Not sure what to say about the whole ex thing. Could be a good thing...only time will tell for you I guess.

mel said...

Great pics!! and matt is a tool

sharon said...

Happy Birthday Kim..hope the great presents far outweigh the not so great one. The strawberries look fab...did you have to get Preston weighed too? Leo and Fern always eat as many as they put in the punnet! Grerat pics too...you look fabulous:)

Greene Family said...

Happy Birthday Kim!! It looks like you guys had a lot of fun strawberry picking! Preston looks so handsome, as always! Love the last photo of you two!
I hope your ex moving to town doesn't end up being a major disappointment for Preston. I can only imagine how tough this is on you and worrying about the outcome of it all. You are strong woman and awesome mommy!
Happy Birthday!! Hope you are having a great day! Sending hugs and a big smile from Simon and me!

Melissa Swartley said...

I love going strawberry picking! We have some excellent farms around here that put the grocery stores produce to shame! Looks like Preston had a great time too! I hope that your ex moving into town doesn't end up in disappointment. I can only imagine the stress you are under! Jenn is right, you are a very strong woman and awesome mommy! Happy Birthday!!!!!

caitlin said...

kim it was a pretty damn good weekend! but i mean really there were strawberries on everything including the cheesecake lol...have a great birthday i love you

ps: i love mel and all of her hilarious comments

Caden and Mommy said...

Kim!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I'm so sorry your ex had to put a damper on your birthday fun! You are a great girl and Mommy to Preston ~ I know you will pull through this and will demand what happens is best for Preston! Stupid Men!
Strawberry picking - how fun, Preston looks so proud of his strawberries. Your comment about Driscoll farms cracks me up.

Onto a totally different topic ~ the LPA conference ~ Seriously, I am in overwhelm mode looking at this conference booklet. We need a post from you, a New York Native. How do we get around Brooklyn? Are the subways REALLY scary? Is there a grocery store near the convention hotel that we can buy snacks and diapers at? I'll be waiting ... :0)
Hope you have a good rest of your Birthday!!!!
Trisha

Unknown said...

Kim I know all too well what you are talking about. I had to go through the same thing with Manni and his father and I butt heads till he was about five or six. When Manni was able to tell him what he did and didn't like and his father GREW UP!!! Any way's I will keep you in my thoughts and pray's.
I LOVE the pictures of Preston picking Strawberries!!! He is growing up so fast and is such a little HAM. Preston and Isabella are so much a like!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Catie said...

Kim! I love that picture of you and Preston! You look awesome.
Anyway, strawberry picking looks so fun. I used to go with my Aunt when I was younger, I think I ate more than I put in the bucket..lol! I should try to find a farm around here for the kids.