Tuesday, May 12, 2009

AMERICAN IDOL-Week 10

I am actually glad we have cut down this year on all the hoopla that surrounds hometown week. I mean normally it's ten minutes each contestant in their hometown and it's all the same: they deplane as if they are the Beatles coming to America for the first time, they get in a limo and drive to their old high school and there are 900 people outside (even those people that were stuffing them in a locker ten weeks ago), all the fans have homemade banners on fluorescent paper, they have a pep rally, the cheerleaders kiss them (even though ten weeks ago a cheerleader would never have considered going to second base with said contestant), they see their family, the mayor gives them a big plastic key from the local dollar store and they pet their dog...whatever. And usually the contestants come from a town that is one step above poverty level. I think this might be a set created by the producers. I was worried what they would do if Anoop won since it was obvious Anoop's parents were very well off. Can't have Anoop pulling up to his Chapel Hill mansion. No but seriously, you'll see the Idol walking around some depressed "downtown" area with some boarded up stores, one drugstore with a lone gas pump outside, they live on a farm always, you see them with a slop bucket in hand talking about growing up 300 miles from your next neighbor. Then someone on the set cues the tumbleweed.

But one tradition continued-the tradition that proves to me American Idol thinks America is beyond stupid (which I slightly agree with but moving on)-the "random" text to the contestant to tell them what song they are singing. I mean really. Danny and Adam acting like it is some big surprise that they are getting a text message from the judges. Haven't they watched the hometown show seven prior seasons? This is no surprise. They even got really savvy this year and made Kris get a new phone. First off, how can they give Kris a new phone? They legally cannot sign Kris up for a new phone and phone service. This would be identity theft if they did. They can't just be like-here's your new phone. We signed you up for the Say Anything plan, hope that works for you! We even picked your Fab Five. You get unlimited data so go check that "random" text from Randy.

Anyway no Randy-ism tonight-just a shout out to Mel for thinking she sported the same glasses as Randy in sixth grade. I would like to point out to her they were brown...and big...like Sally Jesse Raphael. And I have pictures. They went great with your side ponytail.

Danny started off with "Dance Little Sister." (DANCE KATIE). I thought it was a horrible song choice. Partly because it is never good to have never heard the song and since it is not IPod worthy in my opinion, I thought it was not the song for Danny. Of course DiaGuardi (who ranks up there with my ex husband right now) had to make the relevant comment about Danny's dancing. Paula basically beotch-slapped her and said Danny danced great. He could have mimicked Elaine on Seinfeld and Paula would have complimented him.

Kris-I love that song. Although to make it authentic Kris should have called Timbaland (on his new savvy phone of course) to sing back up. Because every song in the world features Timbaland. I love how Simon beotch-slapped DiaGuardi because Kris did what One Republic did, he sat behind the piano. This was the point where I started calculating how much I would owe my mom for breaking her TV because throwing the remote would be so satisfying.

Adam-I just thought this was terrible. That song is so inherently Bono and Adam bottom line butchered "One." I mean Mary J did Bono proud. That was God awful.

Then we had the Africa segment which annoyed me because Idol had no right cutting out the "Idol Gives Back" show. It is evident that many parts of this country as well as those abroad need help and that was a dumb decision to cut that show. It puts things in perspective-like how vile it really is that my son has 14 pairs of summer shoes and that little baby was crawling on a disease laden ground.

Round 2:
I think Danny did "You Are So Beautiful" great! I did however think a better song choice would have been "Up Where We Belong" or Bob Seger's "We've Got Tonight." I think I want to be a judge next year.

Kris does Kanye. Props to Kris. Like seriously. That was so awesome. I personally think it was the BEST performance of the night because it was original and showed true talent. I like most people thought Kris was a goner. Now dare I say, Kris could win this thing?

Adam sang "Screaming." I mean "Cryin'." What's with the weird tongue movements? Notice that Adam almost always sings last? And the judges need to realize only two can go on to next week since they all told all three they would be in the finals. No guys, three people would be tonight all over again. Then again Taylor Hicks won this show. Well see you in the finals. I cannot guess but part of me thinks Kris is moving on. At least I am not missing the final this year (had to stick that in Christopher-love you and Anna and Happy Anniversary a few weeks early)!

11 comments:

Danielle said...

I told Keith we needed a new tv after Adam sang One, because something is clearly wrong with the sound on ours. Glad to see I'm not alone in thinking it was horrendous! How could the judges think that was good??? Would ANYONE buy that? I mean, really...
I think that Kris is by far the most talented of the 3, and I sadly have to admit never having heard the Kanye song (yeah, I'm a loser), so I had nothing to compare it to...but I really liked it.
I also thought it was funny how after Adam went Simon went on and on about how everyone has to vote and not to assume he will go on. Really? Is he that good?? Maybe I need to visit Peyton's ENT and have my ears checked.

Catherine Merciez Wright said...

I am still seething from that HORRIBLE version of "One" that Adam did. I actually had a physical reaction when I heard it. I started gritting my teeth and shaking a little. Then my muscles got really big and my skin turned green and I started to resemble Lou Ferrigno a little...Ok not really the last part but anyway...
The only saving grace is that it really sounded nothing like the original. The screetching has got to stop. I don't know if I've ever disliked a reality TV show contenstant so much. Maybe Toni from "Paradise Hotel". Yatzee!

Laura Wolf said...

I agree on Adam. My husband and I cannot stand his singing. We don't get why the judges worship him or why America seems to be loving him so much. I do have to say that he showed up in the bottom three last week and I hope that that is a sign that he could be out of the competition. Simon on "Oprah" said he thought that Adam would win this. Simon can be wrong, right? My husbands' vote is for Danny, mines for Kris. Either way, if Adam wins I might just ban Idol from the house.

Bobbi said...

The best part of the night, besides Adam's songs, was when Simon called Kara out on her song choice for Kris, then she said she'd wished he done something else to it. She's an idiot. I liked Danny's dancing...I thought it looked like he was really having a good time...liked the song choice, too. Of course, I think Adam reigned over the night just like the judges. I don't think he's going to win though. It'll probably be Boring Kris.

Sara said...

Hello-
I haven't been following AI much this season (too busy), but just found your blog and had to leave a comment.

I have a daughter as precious as your son....I am not into arranged marriages :), but feel free to check out our blog. :)

Unknown said...

Wow, it's a good thing my converter box decided to blow it on Tues night, because I don't think I would have enjoyed hearing U2 get butchered! Hilarious Kim...have you put in your application yet to be an AI producer next year??? Your blog can be your resume!

Melissa Swartley said...

After Adam's version of "One" my ears were burning! Oh the agony!!! Unfortunately that was all I got to watch! Sonya decided she was going to give me a rough night! I wish I got to see Kris do Kanye!!! People must really stare at me driving my soccer mom minivan down the road with Kanye booming through my speakers... of course not while all 3 kids are in the car! LOL!

Tiffany said...

Haha! Adam does have a creep tongue. I can't believe Kris! He just pulled that performance out of nowhere he was incredible! And I think I forgot to post earlier when I read this...sorry. But You always nail it with your predictions! Way to go!

Lisa said...

I must admit I've been out of it with American Idol but I had to check your blog because I was DYING to see if you did a Gray's update from last night's season finale.. Thoughts??

Sara said...

Most definitely you can add us to your blog roll. Thanks for letting me do the same as I will do so. :)

And, yes, I was a member of POLP awhile ago. I slowly lost touch...are you a member?

Greene Family said...

Too funny - I love that you were calculating how much you would owe your mom for throwing the remote at her tv! I agree with Emily - your blog can be your resume for AI producer next year!