Tuesday, May 19, 2009

AMERICAN IDOL-THE FINALE

I am here-no Ireland this year. Aren't you so excited that I can report on the finale? It's OK, get excited. Just for Lisa though-I did get your comment about my thoughts on the Grey's finale-loved it. I did not see the twist coming at all, although my friend Mel did-how I have no clue because I thought they did a great job with the writing. I am sad I have an entire summer without McDreamy. God he is so hot! OK....

Well it was the typical season finale three round showdown, this time between Kris and Adam. Let's first talk fashion. Randy decided to channel his inner homeless man or closed his eyes and randomly selected items from his closet to come up with a polka dotted red and black tie with a purple gingham shirt and brown and pink jacket. DiaGuardi could be wearing a burlap sack and I really could care less, Paula's shirt was so awesome I will spend a lot of time on Google to try to purchase one similar although I am pretty sure it probably cost a week's salary and Simon apparently thinks he is Tony Daviloni and wore his Dancing with the Stars outfit. We even panned to the kicked off contestants who show up for the finale to show Gokey donning a Fruit of the Loom t-shirt.

Round 1 began with Adam singing "Mad World." I did not get to see Adam perform this the first time around due to the DVR malfunction of shutting off when a program runs long-damn you DVR. OK, get ready Bobbi-I liked his performance. I write notes during the show to bring you this entertaining weekly masterpiece and I had written down that I could have done without the Phantom of the Opera fog machine and cape-so Simon and I shared a brain on that one. Adam sounded great because he did not screech/scream/break mirrors/scare small children and/or animals in this performance.

Kris sang "Ain't no Sunshine." Did you see the family portrait when Kris was like eight? He still looks the same. Always looks the same. He should battle Ryan for Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin Eve because I think at 90 Kris will look the same. I like his voice but my friend Sam is right-you can hear a lot of Kris-types in college coffee shops all over-but in the same vein, he is very current, very Jason Mraz-ish.

Round 2. I hated both songs picked for both contestants. I was kind of bored. I noticed during this perfroamnce Adam got a sweet manicure for the finale. The comments for "Change is Gonna Come" annoyed me more than the song. When Randy says, "You can sing your face off" to Adam, I agree. You ever notice those very freaky tongue movements? I swear his tongue is coming right out of his mouth. Or is going to grow out of his mouth like in the ending scene of Howard the Duck with that freaky actor who was the principal in Ferris Bueller. Then DiaGuardi says it was his best performance....ever. Which she has said every....single...week. Then Paula called him "iconic" which I believe she also said to Justin Gaurini...exactly. Then they told Kris they did not like the song choice-tell Simon Fuller. He didn't pick that song!

The third round featured DiaGuardi's artistry-her song sung by the finalists. Adam who had more changes of wardrobe than Cher, donned his snakeskin pants which made me feel as fat as I do when I watch DWTS, yet I continued to shove M&Ms down my throat. I thought Kris sounded better because the song was more geared for Top 40 airplay.

I have to say I really don't have too much of a care who wins-I'd like to see Kris because he is the underdog and I honestly need to stop hearing Adam screech. I am not so strongly attached to a contestant like I was Kelly Clarkson or Clay Aiken...or hot Michael Johns. I really liked Danny the best. I am looking forward to the star studded finale-Ryan said to set your DVRs to tape longer. It's been a great season. I really enjoyed blogging about it again. Thank you all for your fun comments, even the Dan Fogelberg fans kept it real. Kim from Season 8-Out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim - Although I haven't commented every week, I have definitely been reading your blog every week and have thoroughly enjoyed your posts. Last night, as soon as I saw Randy's outfit I thought of your blog "Kim's definitely going to comment on that one!" lol... I share your annoyance of DiaGuardi and her constant "best performance ever." Ridiculous! Thanks for the entertainment! I've enjoyed every bit of it (and also seeing pics of your adorable Preston!)
- Kim Golat

Anonymous said...

LOL Friut of the Loom. I was like, did he take off his top shirt or something? I thought Randy looked stylin' in his version of a classy suit! And Kara finally started to annoy me last night. The way she uses her voice and moves her mouth is irriating.

Ha ha ha! Adam's screaming. Yeah I enjoyed this piece. He has a good voice when he's not doing the bird of prey thing.

Yeah Simon Fuller is old. His song choices blow. He never picks something good for the contestants. I don't think he even hears anymore.

Wait- no commentary on how GODAWFUL Kara's song was? Are you feeling okay? I'm so sick of the "inspirational" songs they have to sing. Write them something normal. I don't care about mountains to climb (which she mentions in the chorus which Miley Cyrus sang on the show a few weeks ago), dreams you want to have, and some type of mother nature reference, in this case, a hurricane. It was so terrible and her hand to her heart deeply thanking Adam for singing it...I wanted to smack her. Adam couldn't do anything with it and it was too high for Kris. Terrible! The only person who could have done well with that was Gokey.

Congrats on another season of great commentary! I loved reading!