Thursday, July 10, 2008

WTF?

Horrible to title a post that, but really I have had it! Exhibit "A" below....

He's so cute right? Yeah until I shut off the lights. Take a closer look at those eyes! That was from crying...from the ice cream truck. Ok. Ok. I'll back up. The fireworks truly scared Preston. Preston is now scared of every little sound. This was the kid who I put to bed at 7:30 and just chilled out-sometimes went to bed, sometimes just talked to himself and played until he fell asleep. One thing about living in a building built in about 1930-the heat in the winter makes noise at times. I would have to assure Preston that it is ok, that it was just the heat. Now every little noise is cause for him to scream "MOMMY HEAT!" He's a smart boy, he really is, but I have told him over and over that it's summer and there is no heat, but the relentless screaming over phantom heat continues. When I say, "there is no heat," he laughs and tells me it's the elevator (which he also hears since the building is old) or the air conditioner. Did I mention any dripping water on the air conditioner also pisses him off?

This week has been atrocious! He is super scared, he does not want me out of his room and is sleeping so fitfully. One thing that seems to be working is letting him "camp out" on the floor until he falls asleep. My mother bought him a stuffed elephant yesterday since he loves elephants. He seems a little better that "Mommy" elephant slept next to him last night. I have even tried playing his CDs-nothing. ARGH! So my sleep has sucked this week. Although this morning at my parents' he climbed up in my bed and gave me a big hug, held my hand and went back to sleep. It made me realize that he is just going through a stage. Pray this phase passes quickly!

8 comments:

Charms said...

Ohhh, I know how you feel my perfect evening would be if I could get a good nights sleep!!!

Lisa said...

Yikes! Sounds like a pretty fitting title actually, given the circumstance. We've had "camp-outs" with Liz too when she was scared of storms.
I also have gotten her an extra pillow to put over her head to drown out any noise. Course, I check in later to make sure she's OK and usually remove it when she's sleeping. : )
Hang in there! Hopefully, this too will pass soon enough.
Lisa

Jennifer said...

Oy! When Catherine was a little younger than Preston the same thing happened! She got freaked out by the fireworks, a parade with LOUD fire trucks and a train running through my brother's backyard all on the same day! Then every loud noise, every thunderstorm sent her over the edge. It passes but boy it takes patience to get through it. Hang in there Mom and Preston.

Andrea said...

We're working on month 3 of sleepless nights because of Evan. I've finally had to pull out my Bible of sleeping books--Healthy Sleeping Habits, Happy Child. We'll see if we can put some of the tips to use when we get back home. Good luck!!!

Sarah said...

Will hated the fireworks too. Hmmm..another thing in common :) Will sat in the stroller hiding his face when we were at them crying all done all done. Poor guy. Last week some neighbors down the rd were shooting them off and right before Will was refusing to come inside. Well, someone shot a big firework off and next thing we know, Will is crying' inside, inside!' It kind of worked out for us :) I'm sorry you are having a hard time with the noises though. Poor guy and poor mom! I understand the no sleep thing all too well.I know how hard it can be to function during the day! I hope things get better soon! and by the way- yes he is just so cute :)

Tonya said...

Yep, you peaked my interest!

Poor Preston! I would love to say it's a phase, but alas, with two older children, one, okay two who find any reason to keep mommy in their room, it doesn't.

We ended up putting TV's in their rooms so the outside and inside noise doesn;t bother them. My dad would put a radio in our room and we listened to the Tiger's game to fall asleep. He would tell us to listen for the score.

I hope this passes quickly for you as momma's NEED sleep to deal with crying kids!!

Anonymous said...

I find Preston is really in tune with his hearing. He's always hearing the far away sirens or trains and makes you stop and listen. He even heard the dryer from the den last weekend which is almost impossible to hear! My guess is that maybe he doesn't like loud nosies near by. He might have really sensitive hearing...or he might just want to stay up and hang out with you and play with toys.

Caden and Mommy said...

Poor Kim! I hear ya on the sleep. Caden's sleep schedule has been ALL off this last week and I'm loosing my mind! I hate not getting a good night's sleep. I hope Preston's bedtime routine reverts back soon!
Trisha