Monday, June 30, 2008

You Know You Have a Boy When.....

What oh what was Preston up to this past week? Well let me tell you a little about Preston's adventures. In his quest for unwavering independence, Preston and I were walking to the car on Thursday morning when I turned to put our bags in the front seat. Upon turning around, in slow motion, I watched as my son stuck his finger in his mouth. No big deal right? Well my brain processed as quick as it could, a mere millisecond prior to him actually sticking his finger in the mouth. You know how you know what he did, but you cannot get the words out yet because you saw it, but language cannot process that fast? Well it was that quick. And what appetizer did he fancy? He stuck his finger in spit on the sidewalk-and not his spit either. So beyond disgusting! I mean maybe he thought it was his since I constantly am suctioning him and sometimes if we are in public the "collection" in the aspirator goes into streets or bushes. I tried wiping out his mouth with a wipe, but reassured myself (with that fake medical degree I have) that any illness would have been killed upon being exposed to the sidewalk. Ew gross.

Fast forward to Friday night. We are in the car in the parking lot of daycare when I go to suction him before our ride out to the Island and I see a flash of green. Upon further inspection I realize that Preston has wedged a pea from lunch into the nether regions of his left nostril. When I asked him if he stuck a pea up his nose he started to cry. I felt so bad-poor thing has had it up there since lunch-but I mean why did he even think to do this in the first place? I went back into the daycare and with a small audience of everyone consoling him and the promise of chocolate Munchkins, (he was super calm and did not utter a peep though), mommy performed emergency pea evacuation surgery with a very sharp tweezer. No need for another hospital co-pay. I really hope he never attempts this again. My sister stuck a bead up her nose when she was younger (last year....no just kidding she was a toddler too) and my mother assures me she never attempted putting stuff up her nose again. Even during those college years...go Katie!

After those two escapades, the weekend was normal. My brother Charlie got married civilly two months ago, so this weekend was the wedding reception. I have a wonderful new sister-in-law Patricia and a five year old step-niece Nicole who is very camera shy, which is a shame since she is gorgeous. Here is our family picture-my dress in this picture makes me look wavy, but hey it was a good family shot! Have a great week everyone!

Sorry to my dad that he looks like a floating head in the picture!




13 comments:

The Johnson Family 5 said...

The things boys will do! lol I thought at first that Preston had ate one of his boogies! I was like ewww...but at least those are his :)

Catherine Merciez Wright said...

I can totally relate to the constant suctioning. I might as well have one surgically attached to my hands - I'd be Catherine Suctionhands! I think the real hero in this story is Katie, who avoided the pitfalls of college experimentation. Haha!
Poor Preston. I actually got a little teary when you said he cried upon the nostril-pea interrogation. Hmm...maybe it's jut that time of the month.
Cat

Andrea said...

Oh dear! Evan once stuck a piece of popcorn up his nose. I started freaking out which made him start crying, causing the popcorn to go higher up, but then one loud outburst and out it came--we never had a problem with that again!

Anonymous said...

Kim,

Your post cracked me up! So this is what I have to look forward to...And I thought Parker was already bad about putting things in his mouth!

Amanda

Jillsblog said...

Forgive my ignorance, but where do you suction? His nose? JD tends to hide food in his cheeks, maybe they can get together and have a meal. LOL just jokes....eewwww

Destini said...

How hilarious - the worst Trace has done this far is to pick used bubblegum off of the floor at the mall and put it in his mouth. I almost vomited and did the same attempt to clean the mouth with a baby wipe. I'm not telling Trace about Preston and the pea - he doesn't need any encouragement! Way to go with the mini-surgery, saved a good $20 and a ton of waiting, I'm sure :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the emergency pea evacuation! Boys and their grossness...I hope we can survive it. Gorgeous family pic...the new couple looks lovely! BTW, Seamus has the same button-down shirt that Preston has the in 1st pic :-)

Mandy said...

So glad that were able to get the pea out of his nose. That would be something to explain to the ER doctor.
Oh the things boys do. I remember my son and step son at the age of 3 standing on the stairs peeing down them. Trying to see who could make it the furthest.

So glad that you had a good time at the reception. What a great family pic!

Jennifer said...

Kim, I'm laughing so hard I wet my pants! Spit on the sidewalk, a pea up the nose and a "WAVY" (?) dress! You are just too funny. Gotta love that boy of yours. He just really keeps you on your toes doesn't he!!!

Lisa said...

The pea story was hilarious! I also love the way you qualified the first shot of you in the dress, describing that it made you look "wavy." Too funny. I always do that too in my pics too.

Tonya said...

Too funny!! He stuck a pea up his nose! Was it far in or easily removable? Did you get pictures?

Your dress is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

These parenting stories crack me up! I like that all your friends throw in their woes too. You're not alone in the world of spit licking pea sticking goodness.

Thanks for the shout out about being good in college! It paid off!

Caden and Mommy said...

Kim!

I think Jennifer's comment above summed it up! Your post crack me up! And how brave of you to "operate" the pea out of Preston's nose. I think I would have been on the way to the E.R. with a $100.00 copay! You go girl!

Trisha