Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Professor Preston says "Try to Cut Costs!"

This pic was taken after bath. Preston was sitting on the potty and took my glasses off and put them on. I hate to take a picture on the potty but he really wanted to see himself in the glasses. Silly goose.

Renay and Mandy wrote blogs about trying to cut costs in this lovely economy we have here. I am one of those people who takes gas prices personally. Cheryl and I were discussing this recently how going to the pump makes me rage. I just take it so personally. Apparently this is a syndrome (I heard on news radio). People do become psychologically affected by the sticker shock, but doctors say that we should try to think of happier thoughts. Like what-when I was in college in Albany paying $.98 to fill my Chevy Cavalier? I get so angered as I watch the gas stations literally raise their prices nightly even though no gas has been friggin delivered! New York right now is between $4.21 to $4.59 for a gallon of regular. REGULAR!
I only buy regular. I am of the belief that there is no such thing as super or Plus. Reason? Well when a truck happens to pull up to fill at the station, there is ONE main tank on the truck, not three. So where is the plus and the super? I also think it is going into one big hole underground and this is all a big scam. I also lease my car so if I needed plus (which I don't), but if I did, by the time my engine started to supposedly break down, it would be returned. And with plus and super twenty to forty cents more, I would not care about making the car run better.

What gets me about the gas is I tried to Google why prices are so high and there is really no concrete answer. I understand the principles of supply and demand. There is no drought of gas. It's politicians and Wall Street brokers short trading and the states making HUGE profits. If there truly is a drought is there any reason we are not drilling in Alaska? I for one am ready to sacrifice the caribou. I mean I am sure they are nice animals and all,but truly I care more about my wallet. I wish I could commute by public transportation, but working in the 'burbs just does not afford me the opportunity. So I tried to think of how I could costs.

Land Line-I could get rid of my land line. I never use it. Only my grandmother calls on it the three times a year my grandmother actually picks up the phone because she still thinks she gets charged long distance from Queens to Westchester. Yet there are those nights that I forget my cell phone in my car. It does not happen often, but I cannot bear to not have a phone for even one night. So that is about $35 I am not going to save.

Cell Phone-People are downgrading their plan. My phone is a fifth appendage. Literally-I live on it. I have a great plan though and the lowest I can pay is $99 before taxes and fees. If I go any lower, I'll talk over the allotted minutes, thus paying like triple what I pay now. Besides I love my phone about as much as I love my IPod.

Cable-Can't cut it. Truly I cannot. I love my TV. Come to think of it, I love my TV,IPod and cell phone a lot. If I had to have an affair though with one of the objects I guess it would be the TV. (Although the cell phone loses by a very small margin). I watch so much television and in the summer I need to catch up on movies since I just do not have time during the main season. (This Renay is why I don't have any summer commentary. I could comment on movies I have seen though). Second, the Yankees are on cable. They have their own network that is only on cable. It is not even an option to not watch the Yankees. And watching Derek Jeter in HD right now is as satisfying as a McDonald's large fries when you are famished. Pretty darn satisfying! I could get rid of the premium channels but I like watching movies. I then thought I'll call my mom and ask her how I can cut costs and I say-ok I'll get rid of HBO On Demand. She laughs. It's $4.95 a month. I mean really. Might as well just keep it. So the cable bill would go from $170 a month to $165. (Please be advised the Internet and phone are also included on the cable bill). Besides if I get a hankering for Curb Your Enthusiasm I can get Larry at my fingertips. Also Preston loves Disney and I just cannot takehim away from Little Einsteins.

Food-Here is where I do try. I do go through the circulars and buy on sale. I also don't cook that often. In fact Mel told me my eating habits are deplorable. She is right. I eat like crap. I am also now 30 so I do worry it is only a matter of time that I have to start eating healthy. I usually splurge on a good lunch about three times a week with the girls and I cannot eat three huge meals a day, so I eat a pop-tart for dinner on those nights. I know, I know. I just don't like cooking after a long day. Preston has two prepared meals a day and I pack him a dinner. I guess as he gets older I will have to cook but for now who says M&Ms are not a meal? Although since I skipped lunch today since I had a deposition, I did cook dinner for myself.

Retail-You all know my obsession for sales. I think I am a great shopper. I'll always use coupons too and scour sale racks!

So basically nothing is changing. I am paying more for gas and food (prices on the rise), but I have not changed my ways. I am not going out spending money like a drunken sailor though, so I guess I am making a change. No major purchases like a new bag since I tend to use the same two over and over while the others collect dust. Probably because I pay a designer bag's worth of tuition every month to the day care Preston attends. Let's not even begin with my rent that could buy me a five bedroom home on three acres in another state. Oh well. I do save though. Especially for Preston. Knowing his account is growing for college even despite this cruddy economy makes me happy.

I am bending over and taking it I know. But after a long day at work I still have my vices...and my tank is almost empty again. *Sigh*

10 comments:

Renay said...

Oh where do I begin...I filled my Chevy Cavalier with 89 cent gas (and I'm only 32;-) once upon a time.

I can't imagine your rent...I've watched some programs that talk about rent for 600-900 sq ft apartments in DC and such and you are so right-you could get a half mill home here in Lafayette instead;-P

I think your landline cut idea is pretty good. I wish I had other good ideas for you but obviously, since I posted on it, I don't.

Wasn't it funny to hear that my TJ started to bawl when I told him we were getting rid of cable??? Talk about a love affair...geesh.

I haven't decided anything yet-but Direct TV does seem to have a good offer that could save us half...worth persuing probably.

Glad you posted on this and sure, go ahead and do some commentary on movies. I love your commmentary;-)

Caden and Mommy said...

Kim!
Love Professor Preston and all those little teeth in that great big smile! Adorable!

As far as prices go ... I hear ya! Absolutely ridiculous! What is even more ridiculous is if I run my tank down to "E" which I do quite often (because I HATE pumping gas) I can't even fill up my tank. The tanks are programed to shut off at 75 bucks. The tank on my durango is 21 gallons ... do the math, at 4 something a gallon I cant fill up the tank! Which is just about as irritating as the price of gas, because that means if I can't fill the tank all the way up I will have to return sooner to get gas ... ugh!!!
And - really, what can we do? How about the 20% of all these frigin dr bills I have to pay. Yeah, insurance is great and they pay 80%, but that other 20% adds up.
As far as cutting cost ... I agree with ya, I don't think I could give anything up. Maybe eating out less. But after work I don't always feel like cooking! And the land line. I can't get rid of that. I'm paranoid that if I have to call 911 in a panic I won't remember my address and if I call from my cell they won't know where I'm calling from.
Whew - this post got me fired up. Money is a sore subject these days!!
I think I'll go look at my little buddy snoozing - that makes it all better :-)
Have a good rest of the week!

The Johnson Family 5 said...

I am right there with ya on the cable thing! How would I fill my time as a SAHM?!? I mean really...play with my baby all day! Just kidding!! I drive an SUV and it is just ridiculous to fill my tank. I think of all the other things I could be spending the money on....*sigh*! Oh, and my internet..I would be completely lost and out of touch with the entire outside world Monday-Friday!!

How 'bout that adorable picture of Preston!?! What a cutie!

Andrea said...

Great post! The grocery thing is what I'm trying to work on (I even planted a garden :O). couponmom is free and helpful.

Getting rid of our "landline" (I still can't get used to this terminology) is something I've thought about, but I hate being attached to my phone--I'd always "forget" my cell and would become the most irresponsible parent out there.

And the shopping thing...I'm with you, Children's Place will never lose their patronage from me!

Destini said...

Okay - I am driving my husband crazy becuase I am now obsessed with maximizing the gas mileage in my Ford Edge - I pretty much refuse to accelerate at any noticeable rate becuase I am determined to keep the RPMs at or below 2000. I am also not going over 65mph. All for a couple extra miles per gallon. If only WV was flat it would not be so difficult to get good gas mileage - but then it wouldn't be as beautiful either. Grrrr!
Also, as I insist on living in the country on a farm and drive 30+ miles each way to work (and daycare), it isn't gonna get any better for me. Plus, did I mention that we have no cell service at our house way out in the country - and to call anyone - which means my mom - I have to have the "freedom extra" plan, so Verizon gets $80 a month for our land line.
Oh well!

Destini said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mandy said...

I am right there with you all. I am a stay at home mom and Dh works at Wal-mart. We all know how much he isn't getting paid I don't need to tell ya.
When I learned that I didn't have to pay for cleaning supplies, personal hygiene, or diapers any more I was all for that. I always buy my kids clothes on sale. I too love Children's place. Very inexpensive.
I am telling you all to start shopping at your drug stores. The ones that are offering money back for your purchases. I save so much. Just from not having to purchase these from Wal-mart.
I also am like you and can't live without my HBO. DH wanted to cut it and I about attacked him.
STEP AWAY FROM MY HBO MAN!

Anonymous said...

Kim this post had me and mom in stitches. Very very funny.

And the Sham is totally $4.13.

Tonya said...

I hear ya! I am hating this increase of prices for EVERYTHING! I watched for the first time a while ago Solent (sp) Green...I am wondering if the world is heading in that direction. Not the eating people of coarse, but rationing of food and struggling. Makes me angry!

Jennifer said...

I remember buying gas at $.28/gallon when I bought my first car back in 1970. Doesn't that frost your cookies? Luckily we've continued to drive fuel efficient vehicles all these years and have never fallen into the SUV trap. (Sorry to all you SUV owners out there:)). I've never appreciated getting 28-30 miles/gallon more than I do now!

Preston is just the cutest! Love the glasses while sitting on the potty! Talk about a blackmail picture!