Monday, November 29, 2010

A Very Raab Thanksgiving

What a fun-filled five days we had!  Wednesday morning I was up at five to pack up the car and bring a bed to New York.  That’s right…a bed.  My brother and Anna and Preston and I were going to all sleep at Katie and Steve’s.  They have one guest bedroom and I totally called it (although Chris will argue he did).  The way to solve-Kim brings the blow up queen bed to New York.  This is no ordinary bed.  No, no no.  My father bought the blow up bed that had a BED FRAME attached.  It’s about 50 pounds and I had to get it down 35 stairs and into my car.  This sparked a text war between Chris and myself the day before, a lot of choice words were exchanged until my father said he’d buy a new one, which annoyed me more so I just bought the bed.  And I got the guestroom. SCORE!  Wednesday we spent preparing the meal with Katie.  here she is getting the sausage meat for the stuffing!

IMG_5659

After that it was Italian heroes and a lot of laughs.  Then Chris landed, demanded a pizza and we rolled out the red carpet and played Pachabel’s Canon for our youngest sibling who by the way was chauffeured by car service to my sister’s (love you Pher). Next morning was the parade!  I was so excited because the weather was not predicted to be nice.  Thankfully although frigid, (*read a tolerable 41 but still), the rain held off.  Unlike last year when we were about 20 rows back two very nice guys let the children in front of them right in the front row.  Our neighbors were down from Virginia so I corralled the four boys and with help from the NYPD they all sat front row center on 65th and CPW!  The cop even stopped a clown at the beginning of the parade to hand Pres a balloon.  He and I share a brain because he politely declined-I was thinking one of us would be holding that balloon the whole parade.  Of course once the clown passed he wanted the balloon.  The performers all threw confetti at the kids.  It was pretty awesome to be front row center.

IMG_5666

IMG_5670

IMG_5679

IMG_5705

IMG_5709

After the parade was BAGELS!  Yum.  I love you 72nd Street Bagels.

IMG_5714

Pres slept the whole way home and a good hour and half after we got home.

IMG_5719

Here are some pics from the day.  Katie and Steve were the host and hostess with the mostess!  The meal was delicious and by far the best turkey I ever have eaten at Thanksgiving.  it was amazing for their first official holiday! Love you guys!  And of course, no Raab Thanksgiving is comp0lte without enough dessert to feed an army.  it was my favorite tradition.  My mother and I used to bake all day Wednesday and all of us would have friends over for dessert.  The house would rock well into the night.  Yum. 

IMG_5730

IMG_5738

IMG_5746

IMG_5749

IMG_5752

IMG_5755

IMG_5757

I always take a picture of my dad basting.  And what day is complete without a little Raab sibling faces?

IMG_5759

IMG_5763

IMG_5729

Even Steve gets into the action:

IMG_5769

IMG_5774

Happy Birthday Pher!

IMG_5779

Preston asked everyone what they were thankful for (As Steve said, Anna was thankful for three football games on that day. *wink) and he also led me in Grace.  It was a wonderful Thanksgiving.  Stay tuned for the rest of our weekend.

7 comments:

Katie Jaye said...

FIRST!

I love the "sibling faces" pictures. They crack me up! (I still have to upload all my pictures and send them to you or I could just upload them directly on the computer when I come down this weekend.)

We were very happy to host and that everything came out delicious and warm! I had a lot of laughs and fun with you guys too. Looking forward to more holiday fun coming up!

Love you!

Yiannakis Family said...

What a terrific family you have! Love all the pics and thank God for someone who still has good manners (i.e. the gentleman that let the kids front and center at the parade).

Jaime said...

I can only begin to imagine how much fun a holiday is with your family! Caty was super excited about seeing the parade on and when I told her that you and Pres were there watching it she couldn't believe it. I second what Paula said about there still being some people with good manners out there. Glad you had a great time - minus the traffic on the way home!

Caden and Mommy said...

I love your commentary about your brother and the red carpet!
Love everything about the parade :0) I ADORE Preston's brown coat. Where did you get it? I think C needs one of his own. Great pictures and great family fun!

Mel said...

Sounds like a great day! Pres is beyond hysterical. Notice what he wasnt thankful for his dad or the pittiful 88 and 41 dollar payments. I do look foward to friday and the new holiday accomodations come friday.

Unknown said...

Wow, what an amazing Thanksgiving! Front row at the parade, fun times with family, and that dessert table...swoon! Love seeing all the fun you had. Congrats to Katie and Steve for their awesome job of hosting!

Greene Family said...

It looks like you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and congrats to Katie and Steve on such a successful first Thanksgiving! Great pictures - looks like everyone was having a blast in all of them! I bet it is always loud and full of laughter when you all are together! Those desserts look so yummy!
Wow - front row seats at the parade - awesome! I would love to go one year . . . I ask Jason every year. Love the picture of Pres and your mom - he's adorable in that puffer coat and his cool hat!
Ok - we need to see a picture of this blow bed that actually has a bed frame attached! :) Yay for getting the guest room in the end!