Monday, October 4, 2010

Impromptu NY and a Diva

I really was not feeling Richmond this weekend at all. Perhaps because in the recesses of my mind I knew the entire family was going to be together this weekend to cheer my sister on at her Diva half marathon. Katie has been training for months for her marathon. She wakes up every morning at 4:30 to get into work by 7:30 and then after a long hard day (and her awesomely long commute home on the LIRR) she would run…like MILES. Seriously there were days she ran more than I drove. Saturday morning we woke up to take my mother to the airport and Pres and I decided, what the heck, let’s go too! I packed a bag in seriously six minutes and we were dressed, out the door and hitting Dunkin for our trek up I-95 North. My mother still took the plane and landed before we hit Baltimore. We had a great ride up and Pres is a real angel in the car. One thing I decided to do was switch back to his car seat for the ride 1) for safety and 2) because he is so much more comfy in that for a long drive. Once we arrived in Manhattan, we dropped our bags at my parents’ apartment and head to Queens to visit Nana before dinner. Then it was off to the restaurant and then back to Aunt Pat’s for dessert.

IMG_5122

IMG_5128

I included this pic to show my hair-it’s really exactly the same, five inches shorter:

IMG_5129

IMG_5142

IMG_5148

Pres just loves NYC. Seriously he knows every subway line and where most of them go. He is a true little New Yorker. But I think what he loves the most is getting to sleep in a sleeping bag at my parents’ place:

IMG_5150

Sunday we were up at 4:30 (good Heavens) and out the door by 6:15. Thankfully Tal Bagels was already open with warm bagels waiting for me. The bagel was so good I wept when I took a bite. It was also –2 degrees outside (not really but compared to our summer of 105 it was cold). Thankfully I thought ahead to grab a sweatshirt of my father’s before heading out the door since I packed an appropriate 3/4 sleeve cardigan and tank top (recall I packed in 6 minutes). Here we all are pre-marathon! I took so many great pictures it is hard to narrow it down!

IMG_5161

IMG_5163

Oh and by the way, the hat I am wearing is Preston’s. Pretty awesome that I can totally borrow hats from my almost five year old. And why am I wearing orange earrings? Because my sweater was brown and orange and because I know that was what everyone was focusing on.

IMG_5166

Oh and here’s a little tid bit about Kate-she rocks a fanny pack when she runs. Maybe she borrowed it from Steve. Preston’s pre-race food-tri-color cookies…real ones, from the bagel store.

IMG_5165

IMG_5157

And here is Kate: At the starting line, then mile two: (which by mile two I would be walking). Funniest thing was while waiting for Aunt Tinka at Mile 2 (see bottom right picture) the dude watched a good six hundred people or so pass. After she passed and we all cheered he turned to us all, completely dead-pan matter-of-fact and said, “She’s not going to win.” It was hilarious. later on her told her, “Everyone got a rose and a medal Tinka.” As if he runs marathons weekly.

IMG_5175 IMG_5178

I went to Catholic private high school. One of my first friends was Jay. Jay and I have remained super close through the years (see blog post two Octobers ago when they visited). His wife, Erin-Kate is a fantastic runner (last week winning Tunnels to Towers and this run coming in 6th overall). In between the mile markes we were able to catch up.

IMG_5176

Preston found something to amuse him while waiting at the 8 Mile mark. (Are you singing Eminem yet)? And Kate at 8 Mile (still no)? And at this point, I would have dropped out of the race. Probably along mile 3.5.

IMG_5182 IMG_5186

Because this was a DIVA marathon, at Mile 12 (which if I had to walk by now I’d be crawling wishing for death), you are given a boa and a tiara and get to run across the finish line where they were pumping all women empowerment music! Here is Pres waiting for Aunt Tinka!

IMG_5190

And here she is! Under 2 1/2 hours!!! I am so proud of her! She just broke down and so did my mom (and I teared as well). Katie, you are amazing. You are a strong woman who set a goal and never tired of it. I love you more than you will ever know!!!!

IMG_5193

Post race pics: Kate and Erin-Kate:

IMG_5194

IMG_5196

IMG_5197

IMG_5201

Then it was off for a yummy breakfast! I am so glad we decided to go up. Nothing like a weekend with family!

11 comments:

Jaime said...

I'm so glad that you decided to make the drive up to see Kate in her race! I'm sure she was ecstatic that you were there to cheer her on! Loving the pictures of Pres, especially the sleeping one - what an angel!

Katie Jaye said...

It was such a lovely surprise to have you and Preston come up to NY spur of the moment. These pictures are fantastic and I am so grateful to have a sister like you, Kim. Thank you so much for cheering me on and showing me so much love and support. It seriously meant the world to me to have a fan club at four different points of the race!

Your commentary is hilarious! I think you could definitely be a runner too. This race was made for women like you and Maeve! I loved all the little girly touches and I really did feel empowered by the music.

Once again Kim, thank you for being there for me! I love you sooooo much! :-)

PS- 8 Mile.

Maeve said...

I'm soooo proud of my beautiful BFF!!!! I wish I could have been there to cheer her along too!!! I love all the pics Kim- I'm glad you and Pres decided to go up there- I know it meant a lot to her!!

Miss you all!!
xo

Caden and Mommy said...

I am laughing with tears streaming down my face. Preston's statement of, she's not going to win. He is too much cuteness. Love him!

Good for you for being spontaneous and hitting the highway at the last minute, and packing in six minutes?! How do you pull that one off? Please share some tips with me. ... kudos to Pres for being a good passenger!

Pres sleeping is precious ~ as are all his pictures!

...and Miss Kim, I don't think anyone would have noticed that your earrings did not match;0) Love your commentary through this post. Thanks for the laughs!

Congrats to your sister for such an accomplishment, that is awesome!

Unknown said...

So, so awesome. Katie is my idol! How wonderful for her to be surrounded by amazing family while accomplishing such a feat?? I think the impromptu drive was a great idea, and hooray for Preston being such a fantastic passenger! So glad you got to spend a wonderful weekend with family - sounds like the drive was totally worth it (even for the bagel alone!)

Susan said...

I love it when someone acts on an impulse to make room in their schedule to support a sibling in whatever they're doing. Good for you, Kim! That was a great decision to go see your sister's race! It's as if you were "called" to be there, and it ended up being a fun visit for Preston too. What great memories you made!

Melissa Swartley said...

How awesome that you were able to make it to cheer your sister on! Way to go Katie! I am with you Kim, totally would have died by mile 3.5! I also just checked out your last post too! Great pics of Preston and oh my gosh, I am so excited for you and your house which is coming along beautifully!!!

Tiffany said...

What a fun weekend! I love all of the pictures! Yay for Katie! :)

Greene Family said...

Wow - I'm SO impressed with your sister's run! Way to go Katie!! That's so awesome that you and Pres were able to be there to help cheer her on too! I'm cracking up over Pres' serious comment that she is not going to win - he's too much!
Great commentary! Same here - would have died by mile 3.5!
Love your adorable little New Yorker! How cool that you can borrow his hats!
Glad you had such a fun weekend! Spur of the moment trips are the best! Yay for such a good passenger too! I don't think I could ever accomplish packing in 6 minutes though!

The Wymers said...

This post totally had me cracking up. Loved the 8 mile references and the pink boa at the end of the race ... priceless! Well done Katie! Loved your hair and the dude is as adorable as always, glad you guys had fun on your spur-of-the-moment trip!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Katie! I'm so impressed! That was so nice of you to go up to NY for the weekend. It is good to just get away sometimes, isn't it? As usual, Preston is adorable.