Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween 2010

Dear Preston,

Today marks five years since the doctors told me you would be different, if you even made it here at all.  Since then you’ve been a monkey, a dog, a vampire, a dragon and this year, due to your love of trains, you were a conductor.  You can thank Uncle Chris and Aunt Anna for your costume.  They bought it for you last Christmas since they knew mommy bought you the Thomas table.  Five years ago today, at 9:10 pm, the time I am writing this entry, I had called a lot of people to let them know things were not going as planned.  I remember at this time I was speaking to Aunt Angela on the phone.  We had looked up “short femurs.”  We didn’t have a lot of answers at that point.  It was the beginning of what was to become a whirlwind almost six weeks until your birth.  Here we are, five years later.  Since Halloween is a major milestone day (and every year mommy breaks down and cries), we celebrated in style!  Friday you had a fall festival at school.  You just had a blast with your friends trick or treating and eating goodies and watching It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown

IMG_5387

IMG_5390

Today we had a very busy day. First, in your very OCD way, you filled the candy bowl for our 140 plus trick or treaters:

IMG_5403

IMG_5406

Then you, PaPa and I carved the jack o lantern:

IMG_5407

IMG_5410

IMG_5412

Then we baked for Michelle’s neighborhood Halloween party.  We hit the store for some last minute ingredients and you told the manager that, “After Halloween is Thanksgiving and I’m going to see the parade in New York.  Then my PaPa, who is my mom’s dad, is going to set up his Lionel trains.”  You are too much. Grandma and PaPa made spider cookies and we made cupcakes:

IMG_5414 IMG_5415

Then we were off to Shelby’s birthday party.  Yesterday you were at Liam’s birthday party.  You are so popular that your social calendar on my BlackBerry is taking up a ton of space.  After the party it was off trick or treating.  We went out with Grandma and hit a few houses and then you got on your scooter and zipped through the neighborhood. Your first stop was trick or treating at Grandma and PaPa”s.  You laughed when PaPa said, “Get out of here! No candy for you!”  We ended the night at Michelle’s house where you ate all your goodies. 

IMG_5429

IMG_5445

IMG_5446

IMG_5447

IMG_5421

Thank you Preston for bringing the difference and making the difference in my life. 

I love you forever,

Mommy

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim,...... very nice letter. You and Preston are both very lucky to have each other. Have a great holiday season, it sounds as if you guys are going to be busy.

Alex said...

What a great post! I can relate 100% with going through that roller coaster of emotions and realizing how far we have come thanks to our very special kids. They really do make us better people. You are one great mom Kim!!!

Kasia and Amelia said...

bEautiful post Kim, I nearly cried too.... Sending your little sweetest Monkey tons of hugs on this special ocasion! I love the pictures and Preston's costume. What a great fun!

jodijojo said...

Kim, you have the most amazingly cute and wonderful son! And YOU, are an amazingly awesome mom. Thanks for being you and sharing and inspiring us all!
xo

Caden and Mommy said...

... and I love you and Preston! ADORABLE Pictures! Preston so nicely posed in his costume, which Caden did not want any part of this year ;0( !!!
I love that OCD Pres put the candy in the basket just perfectly. I will note that for next year since Caden seems to be on the same path as Preston :0)
Pres is a comedian, no doubt! Love the conversation he had with the man at the store and his trick o' treat conversation with Pa-Pa.
Have a great week!

Unknown said...

That is just the sweetest post ever! Pres is one lucky guy to have a mom like you. Happy Halloween!

Unknown said...

Your angel was sent to you for a reason. You are courageous and unselfish, and as lucky as you are to have a great kid like Preston, he is just as lucky to have a wonderful Mom like you.

Maeve said...

Sounds like an amazing weekend... Preston looks so great as a train conductor!! And of course your house would have full size candy bars!! haha

LOVE YOU ALL

Unknown said...

What an awesome little man! It is so amazing to be able to look back and see how far you've come since that day. Thank God for our wonderful kids who have brought us on a journey of a lifetime! He is the cutest train conductor I have ever seen...love it! Beautiful pictures. And full-size candy bars - pretty swanky!!!

Sara said...

Beautiful, Kim. I LOVED it! Aren't we so lucky to have our children....and each other?!? I love Preston and your relationship....so special!

The Wymers said...

I always love your letters to Preston posts and this one was no different. Loved all the pics of Preston (he was so freakin' cute in his costume) and if we lived closer I'd totally be bringing the girls by your parents' place for the full sized candy bars ... for me, not for them, of course.

Glad you guys had a great weekend!

Hope the dude got some

Jaime said...

Kim, this post left me teary eyed. What a sweet letter to Pres! He has brought so much joy to everyone who knows him! I'm so thankful that our kids brought us together! Love you both!

Greene Family said...

I always love reading your letters to Preston - so very sweet!! You are an amazing mom with an amazing little boy that I am so grateful to know! Hugs to you both!
Love the pictures! Preston is the most adorable train conductor with his big smile! What an awesome weekend! Love Preston's expression as he digs in the pumpkin!

Mel said...

Dear Preston,
What a sad day 5 years ago was, and what it has turned into is a celebration of how AMAZING you are! THis is of course, due in no small part to the wonderful mom you have. Despite what a d-bag father who have who has done nothing but try to create havoc in the lives of you and your mom, you continue to rise above. Hopefully when he is tossed in jail for the SECOND time due to his inability to support his child, he will realize the utter failure he is, and finally leave you guys alone. Looking forward to celebrating your birthday in December, love always, Aunt Mel

Katie Jaye said...

This totally made me tear up because I remember that day. I remember when dad gave me the news in the car and I just held you and cried because we didn't know what to expect and you were so calm and positive and told me it would all be okay. Hell, I'm tearing up again!

I love you and Preston so damn much!!!!!!!!

Now onto how much the picture of Pres trick or treating and dad in the doorway made me laugh. Even Peggy looked at it over my shoulder and busted out laughing. We think Preston looks adorable in his costume!

I so can't wait for Thanksgiving!

The Johnson Family 5 said...

Part of me is so glad that P and C are "different" because I would have never met you guys! I would take a trip on Preston's train everyday in that outfit! I mean, come on! How cute is he? AND I'm impressed that a hat fits him. Cole's head is way bigger because I know that hat would have never fit Cole!

Tiffany said...

I'm a little late on my comments here, but I just have to say what a handsome guy Preston is. I just love him so much! Isn't it amazing how blessed we are with these boys! I look at Sawyer sometimes while he's sleeping and anazlyze every little detail and chubby roll and I realize that someone really took His time creating such perfection. I'm so grateful to have you as blog family...a place to turn. Thanks for bringing so much inspiration into our lives!