Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Clean Teeth and Dropped Pants

We’ll get to the pants in a sec.  Preston had his first dental visit today.  He was pretty excited but when I called the receptionist told me parents cannot go back with their children.  I said to her while I understand this may be common practice for say a child of…I don’t know…seven, perhaps they can bend the rules for a four year old?  They do have “mommy visits” where the parent can go with the child.  They don’t know Preston-regardless of their policy or not he would not have gone without me.  The only reason his tonsils are removed without me was because he was under anesthesia or you can bet the farm I’d have been standing right there the whole time.  I have never seen a hygienist clean teeth so fast, but being this practice was just for children, I guess they have this down to a science. The cleaning was about 1 minute (less time than he brushes his teeth).  In all fairness, this was the first time he ever tasted that gritty crud they use to clean your teeth and he was trying to spit it out or keep it from going down his throat.  They gave him a rinse and then the fluoride treatment.  I hated this as a child because they put nasty flavored gel in a cut up Styrofoam egg carton and shoved it in my mouth.  Now they brush the teeth with a regular brush with fluoride toothpaste.  Preston liked this-cherry cheesecake.  He then had x-rays taken and asked about 12 questions in regards to same and then had his exam with the dentist.  He has no cavities.  In fact he told the dentist rather firmly, “I don’t have cavities because I’m a little kid, but grandma has had cavities.”  He shouldn’t forget mommy-I never had one in my life until my late 20’s when I stopped drinking tap water which has fluoride.  I have resumed drinking well water now too. 

His canine teeth are very pointy, but the dentist told me he has an “open bite” meaning the canine teeth are average size but because he sucked a pacifier his four front teeth are taking longer to grow down.  They may or they may not, but his permanent teeth look great.  The bottom will come in ok, the top may come in a bit crowded, so he, like his Aunt Tinka will have a palate separator. He picked his prize-a red dinosaur.  he was disappointed no lollipop.  I told him dentists don’t give lollipops, just doctors. They even took a keepsake picture memorializing his first visit!  Here are some cute pictures:

IMG_3100

IMG_3106

03-03-2010 10;00;51pm (2)

Now, as you all know being the huge Idol fan I am, I had to capture Preston singing the big hit from the auditions, “Pants on the Ground.” So here is Preston!

24 comments:

Lisa said...

OH MY GOSH!! Love the dental visit pics. but PANTS ON THE GROUND!! Love it. Liz and I watch it on line nightly. She loves it too. One day, we'll join everyone else in the 21st centry and post a video of her. Good to see you guys are doing so great! Did you make a decision about the LPA conference? I might have missed the post.

Ever Changing said...

Oh my goodness! How cute! Glad he's cavity free! Always a great thing!
And the song, gotta love it!!!!

Catherine Merciez Wright said...

HOLY S*&T!!!! That may be the funniest thing I have ever seen! Do you have any idea how bad I want to duet with Preston?! I've been walking around singing that for, like, 6 weeks now. Best blog video ever!

The Johnson Family 5 said...

Oh.My.Goodness! Seriously?! This kid needs his own show!!! That is hilarious and I'm very impressed that he knows all the words..Go Pres! Go Pres!!

Unknown said...

OMG! Love it. I started to choke as I was laughing while eating almonds. Great video. Woohoo no cavities....great positive first dentist visit.

Caden and Mommy said...

For Real ... Preston is so friggin cute!!!!!! I love how his singing is more of a "yell".
The dentist story is great, yeah for no major issues - he is a hoot telling the dentist about his Grandma having cavities :0)
Thanks for a humorous post ~ I needed it, it's been a long week so far!
As far as the shirts. Thank you for telling me P has 100 shirts for summer :0) It makes me feel much better about my habit!
Yes our kids are spoiled rotten, my girlfriend tells me that Caden is going to think his name is "Caden Westin" ... whatever, whatever makes us happy, right!

Alex said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the video!!! He sounded so passionate about it too!

mel said...

are you kidding me? that was the greatest video I have EVER seen. EVER. there are few things that I would enjoy watching more...
perhaps preston can get sponsers for exciting partnership opportunities. Have a great day!

Jennjilla said...

That is AWESOME! I totally love it!! HE's a super star already!

Destini said...

Awesome. I so heart Preston. Glad the dentist visit went well, my kids love to go to the dentist and totally go right on back without me!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness that was total cuteness!! Preston was such a trooper at the dentist. :)

Tonya

Andrea said...

Anna just saw a pic of Preston and said," Hey, that's Evan!!"

What a great patient and futer AI contestant!!! Can you submit that video to AI?

Tinka said...

Preston is a total hit here at the Surge! Valerie and Debbie LOVED it! His expression during the song is just hysterical like he's yelling at the dude with the pants on the ground. He's the best!

I also hope he doesn't take after me too much in the teeth department. I do not wish five years of braces on him. Remember how bad my front teeth were that Charlie called me Tyson Teeth?

Unknown said...

Ok, I am trying my 3rd comment here...That was hilarious! We've already watched it 67 times, and there's no end in sight - "More Preston! More Preston!" Love it! Awesome job at the dentist Pres - so proud of you!

Jane said...

oh my gosh that is the cutest video ever!

marrah said...

LOve it!!! Sue and I are hysterical.. He is the cutest...Love how he ended the song, "pull your pants up" Priceless.....

jodijojo said...

That was tooo cute!!! priceless!

Chelsea and Cody said...

Good job at the dentist, Preston! My hub is in dental school, hopefully he can be fun for little ones! Okay, Pants on the Ground was hilarious! I love it!

Greene Family said...

Crack me up! Awesome video, Preston!! He's definitely a star!
Way to go on a great first dentist visit too! Love the pics of your happy boy! That is too funny that he told the dentist that his grandma had cavities though! Simon's canine teeth are really pointy too.

The Wymers said...

ROCK ON Preston! Loved it! How funny that his dentist wasn't going to let you go back...be thankful he wants you to go with him, Nikki MADE me stay in the waiting room at her last checkup! LOL!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how cute Preston is going to the dentist! Too adorable!

Jen Weisser said...

LOL Preston you are too much!!

Susan said...

Pants on the ground, pants on the ground! I think you should send this to the A.I. staff. You know on the last show they'll probably have that guy back who did it the first time. I think they should have some of the funniest clips of other people doing it, too. Preston's would rate as one of the funniest!

Melissa Swartley said...

What a good patient Preston is! Love the pictures!!! Ok, Sonya now needs to watch Preston sing AGAIN! This is like the 15th time I've replayed it for her! What can I say, she's a Preston fan!