Tuesday, March 23, 2010

American Idol-Week 2

OK. Billboard Number 1's. Why when they have these shows do contestants go out of their way to find songs that I question were ever on the Billboard charts, let alone made it to Number 1? Half of these songs I hate, a few are on my iPod and others make me want to stick bamboo under my fingernails. The second issue I have is the "mentor" they had this week. Picture this-you are sitting in the "sound room" at the Idol McMansion all excited to meet the mentor. The past seasons' contestants have seen the likes of Stevie, Smokey, Mariah, Barry and in walks Miley Cyrus. Don't get me wrong, she's so cute she is like a piece of bubble gum and I have been known to throw my hands up when they play my song (which is usually the Billboard number 1 for the week ironically, that has yet to have been overplayed to the point it takes on bamboo shoot status), but I mean you are getting mentored by Hannah Montana. A Disney character. It's like saying you learned all there is to know about art and classical music from Little Einsteins. (OK confession, Leo and Quincy did clue me in that penguins are indigenous to Patagonia-who the hell knew)? But really half the contestants, minus Aaron are older than her. My third issue is the Idol tour. Why do only ten make it on? I mean it's not like we have 35 contestants, there are 12. TWELVE. What is there not room on the bus? The two extra people will screw up their montages? Katie and I went to the tour concert show for Season 5. It would not have changed the show if the two extra people came. Just saying. It annoys me basically because I don't understand the reasoning. When Ryan calls next time I'll ask him ......(Ryan really doesn't call me). The fourth nerve grating thing tonight was Kara's Victoria Beckham cheek sucking. I have decided that to save myself from the torture that is Kara, next week I am going to fast forward past her spiels. For the sake of my eyeballs because I watch Idol with a writing instrument in my hands to bring you this recap. (Which really isn't a recap-it's my take on the show and my opinions but whatev-you're loyal readers).

Lee- I think while Lee was rehearsing with Miley he was trying to figure out if he hooked up with her if that could land him in the gen pop of the local slammer for her being 17. Then when he started singing I thought he was wearing a silver heart necklace and I thought it was a non-broken best friends necklace!!! Remember those? But he was wearing both parts (were you a fan of BE FRI or the ST ENDS part?) Then I realized it was a silver guitar pick. Still love Lee. Big fan.
Paige-Her getting onto the tour is against all odds. She was so God awful. The only thing rocking about Paige tonight were her earrings. My favorite judge line was said by Randy, "Hi. Dude...Wow...really...honestly...like seriously..wow...really?" It was the same line I uttered upon hearing my ex was bringing another child into this world.
Tim- I am shocked he was still here this week and he should be thankful Paige was actually worse than him. Looks like Tim may make this tour. I've decided he looks just like Ben Stiller-if Ben Stiller was doing really bad karaoke.
Aaron- Awwww. He was so cute with Miley. He's like eight and has a huge crush on her. He was all nervous and excited. I assume that is what I would look like if I ever have the opportunity to be mentored on anything by Derek Jeter. I laughed that he chose "Don't Want to Miss a Thing." He was four when the song debuted. Four. So that means if Preston ever went on Idol (don't worry... he won't-cute voice, but super pitchy) he would rock this week's hits. Anyway off topic for a minute. Armageddon was probably the dumbest movie in history. Think of the concept. A meteor is going to hit Earth unless Bruce Willis travels to the meteor that is going 90 million miles and hour, lands on it, and drills it....OK. Anyway, I think Aaron and his tonsils will make it another week.
Crystal-why in Heaven's name did she bring her own carpet to the show? As much as I like her voice, the remnant carpet and the fact she is adverse to shampoo keep me from liking her more.
Mike-I am starting to get flashbacks to Ruben, minus the 805 or whatever area code shirt he would wear. The only thing Mike would still have to perfect is the Ruben "stand-straight-left-arm out-now-right-arm-out" dance move. I mean I like him-he's my New York homeboy, but he needs to step it up because I agreed with the judges-it was a snoozefest.
Andrew-This guy sucks too. I am perplexed how he made it this far....oh right the acoustic "Straight Up" rendition. How could I possibly forget. (And that was sarcasm).He looks like a tattooed version of the guy that sang "Macarena."

At this point as I was fast forwarding through the commercials, the commercial for Glee came on. I am positively giddy that in three weeks it premieres and it's Opening Day. Mother of everything good and holy. What a week! (And now I re-read that sentence and ponder the state of my loser-ness).

Katie- OK. You guys know I channel Fergie. Nothing has helped me more this past month at the gym than the Black Eyed Peas and Fergie's "Clumsy" which I believe my iPod has played 42 times in March. They are also Preston's fave group who told me this week that he loves their new song "Imma Bee." And to hear him sing it is pretty damn cute. Anyway, watching Katie was like watching a talent show performance in high school. Off topic again....in eighth grade my friend Cheryl and I were in a talent show. We were Wayne (me) and Garth. We were so awesome. I love how humble I am. I have to find a picture. This week her niece was in a talent show. Sadly, we both realized kids today don't even know Wayne and Garth. Schwing!
Casey-OK I am sweating Casey's hair. My mother and Cheryl have both had this curly look which apparently is done, strangely, with a flat iron. I am wondering if Casey knows how to achieve said look? I love personally that he sang Huey Lewis. I pretty much love anything from the 80's and will embrace it.
Didi-Simon stole my line. I write as the contestants are singing on a little notepad. I literally wrote "you're no good." "Exactly" And then Simon took my line. (Which I admit was not all that original anyway, but still). At first when I saw her outfit it appeared that she was wearing a medal from the Vancouver Olympics, which just turned out to be a medallion belt. I was going to get pretty pissed. Preston couldn't even get the Ralph Lauren hat from the Olympics and sucky Didi was getting a medal?
Siobhan-She sang a 70's song dressed like she came out of a late 80's Madonna video. I think she was wearing a banana clip in her hair. Tongiht in the gym the woman next to me told me she thought Siobhan was homeless. Thank goodness for her that she will be on the tour and have the bus to live in. Maybe that's why they can't have 12 people on the tour-Siobhan's mom and dad are tagging along.

My pick to go home: Paige.

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love that you take notes! That's my favorite part about all of this...no wait Simon's plagiarism, that's my favorite part! And yes, I did audition years ago...threw up in a trash can before my audition, while a Vegas photographer took pictures of me...lovely, I know.

The Wymers said...

I'm dying right now! And, I don't even watch Idol (don't shoot, please!)...too freaking funny - keep up the good work! :o) Schwing!

Tinka said...

LOL You are so right about the credibility of these "number ones".

HAHAHA Lee was wearing very fashionable jewelry last night! I love his voice too. Good pick, Kim.

Oooohh Paige. How in the hell did you make it to this stage? You are DEFINITELY going home. (PS Loved the jab at father of the year in this paragraph)

Tim, you suck too but not as much as Paige so you get to stay even though you're in the bottom three tonight.

Aaron is super adorable. I liked his rendition, very nice. And Kim, do not lie about Armageddon. You love all those "end of the world" movies.

Crystal is Steve's fave. I love her actually, she reminds me of people I met on Pearl Street. I liked the carpet too and totally wanted to be invited to sit on it. Then I would invite Jason Castro and we'd roll a joint and pass it around the carpet. Good times.

LOL I love when mom immitates Ruben's dance. I liked Mike, thought it was better than Michael Bolton's version (that no talent ass clown). I also want to give him a huge hug! He was so cute with Miley.

HAHAHAHA Macarena. Andrew is in the bottom three.

*commercial break* Definitely a loser, Kim.

Katie was decent. And you guys ROCKED as Wayne and Garth! You should totally find that tape and put the whole thing on your BLOG! Your friends woiuld LOVE it!

Casey was awesome and so was Back To The Future.

LOL Medal. I thought she was okay tonight. And you knew Simon would say that because he did that one year when a girl sang Brass In Pocket.

LOL Aww poor Siobhan. Yeah right before the commercial break I thought she was doing 80's and was a bit disappointed that she picked a Stevie song but whatever, it was good.

Kim, awesome post as usual. Loved it!

jodijojo said...

love your recap!I was watching last night rubbing my hands together about how awful the night started out and then it dawned up on me... I think I partly like this show because it makes me feel better when they are bad AND when they are good - like cheaper than therapy! " now THAT was horrible!" or "man, Kara! what is she doing to Simon?! She's awful!" and for some reason, then I feel better!

Laura Wolf said...

First, yeah! I have my computer back and can finally catch up on the blog. Idol is not doing as well as I hoped this year. I agree that Miley wasn't much of a mentor. It didn't seem like any advice was given. I feel bad that none of the contestants are consistant and therefore can't seem to stand behind anyone. On the up side GLEE will be coming back soon so there's something to look forward to!

Chelsea and Cody said...

I knew that you would say something about Kara's lips/cheeks! It was driving me CRAZY! CRAZY! Okay, so she gets juvederm...we get it! Stop sticking them out already!
PS-Thanks for the note...We are trying to channel our inner Preston-hopefully Baby W can learn from how Preston entered the world:)

Unknown said...

OMG so my comment has completely disappeared!!! Gaaaa! Just when I think I'm all witty and clever. And I don't even remember what I wrote :-( Awesome recap, I was hysterical!!

Greene Family said...

I love reading your recaps - crack me up!! I agree about the number one songs - when and why? Kara bugs me with just about everything she says and the way she gestures.
Aaron is so cute, and I love that he smiles no matter what the judges have to say!
Haha - I like Crystal's voice too, but when I watch her, all I can think about is why doesn't she wash her hair? I know this is terrible, but it makes me want to sing Bugs by Pearl Jam.
Love Wayne and Garth! You should definitely post your talent show video!
Great post to read at the end of a long day!