Tuesday, March 30, 2010

American Idol-Week 3

YEAH-YAH! Usher guest starred tonight, which, no offense, kicked the Miley mentoring episode by far. Although I love how this "guest spot" was timed to coincide with the date his album "dropped." First off -to the woman sitting behind Usher in the audience tonight (and I will extend this as a public service announcement), just because Crystal Bowersox had dreads does not mean that it is an appropriate hairstyle. Sorry got caught up in in that. Second, Usher told us that he got very creative on this new album. I would direct your attention to the lyrics of his new diddy, "Lil Freak." It is an interesting creative angle on that one, but I'll let you decide that on your own.....you can Google now if you must. So let's get to our Top Touring 10.

Siobhan-Wow. Tonight was the first time I have heard her that off key. I don't really understand the judges' issue with her "screamed high note." I mean seriously, didn't Kara write songs for Mariah? I am pretty sure she broke glass on every tune she sang. I think she was a bit psyched out from the feedback last week. Tonight marked the introduction of something new with Idol-the backstage "green" room (which isn't green). Did you catch a glimpse of all that food? I probably wouldn't hear my name called because I'd be filling my mouth with grapes and Gouda.

Casey-I think he did amazing, but for that annoying Orbitz smile after each grouping of words..."Hold on.." [SMILE like a jackass] "I'm coming." [Smile like a jackass]. Reminded me of Clay Aiken and his facial expressions. Sometimes you had to close your eyes. And yes I am aware that Casey is much better eye candy than Clay (OK Clay is not eye candy at all), but the smile was a bit overdone.

Big Mike-I wonder if Mike likes this nickname since now with the popularity of The Blind Side and Michael Oher's nickname? Just wondering. Anyway I guess the judges and I were on a completely different page because seriously if this was the song playing on my alarm clock I am not even sure it would wake me in time to press snooze. Ugh so boring.

Didi-This was the first time in a while I thought Ryan was an utter douche. To put her on the spot like that after her song was just wrong. We all remember her tryouts and that her friend has passed on. Last year Danny Gokey held the sympathy death ticket, this year it's Didi and her BFF. I won't lie, Didi was nothing shy of God awful, but no need to beat the dog when it's down. I also hate Kara's favorite phrase "singer/songwriter." She loves saying it. I think she calls herself that in the mirror. But what becomes of the Idol singer that sucks? She will be in one of those silver butt stools tomorrow.

Tim- WHOO WHOO What's that? The sound of a train traveling eastbound. WHOO WHOO? Then what's that? The sound of a train traveling westbound. On a one way track. (Or "wrong way on a one way track" if you love Soul Asylum). That's right ladies and gents, let's watch this train wreck week in and week out.

Alex-Ugh I did not listen to his performance on protest of anything Chris Brown. I am kind of disappointed I have not seen him cleaning up my local thoroughfares in Richmond. I wonder where he is doing his work release. So I laugh because Simon says he knows nothing about Alex. Really? Really? I bet he recalls though that Alex sang "Straight Up".....the acoustic version.

*Commercial break* Glee is back in two weeks. Who saw Sue Sylvester in the audience???? And why is Kris Allen doing Ford commercials? Because he cannot sell out any concerts? No one scalping tix for those hard-to-find Kris Allen seats? Because his song sucks? Anyone?

Katie- The first thing I noticed was the fact she totally stays up late nights and ordered those "Bump Its" for her hair (the pageant pack). She has a great voice, but I disagree with Randy-she is no Christina Aguilera. I then chuckled when Ellen told her she had a Snooki poof. (And now I have hit a new low citing Jersey Shore in my blog).

Lee-Lee DeWyze. Say his name really fast out loud. Are you totally singing "Edelweiss" from Sound of Music? No? Just me? (Yes you are you liars). Anyway I totally love Lee. He rocks, he's super cute and so humble. (Although this could totally be an act and he is the world's largest DB-I mean look who I chose to take vows with. So you never know).

Crystal-I have to hand it to Crystal, her voice is unreal. What I think I love about her now (besides my hope that she is in fact growing out those dreads) is our mutual loathing for Kara. You know she holds nothing but disdain for her and that makes me want to stay up and vote incessantly for Crystal. I totally took notes and wrote, "get rid of the faux En Vogue (minus one) at the piano" during her performance. This is why Simon and I are totally in check. He should have married me. (I'm in it for the ginormous engagement ring only---OK and the ridiculous wealth. Don't worry, I'd still blog from my yacht). I also loved her shoes but you can tell she cannot walk in heels. I must confess, I love shoes so much. I will never forget slipping into my first pair at age nine. White, peep toe leather shoes with about a one inch heel from Naturalizer. I begged my father to buy them who was really at the store to buy me patent leather Mary Janes for Charlie's Communion. I tried them on, turned my heels a la Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz in those little triangular shoe seats with the mirrors on the side and there was no going back. My love for heels and shoes was born (I did get Mary Janes again though-in high school when Clueless came out and I bought anything that remotely resembled something Alicia Silverstone wore).

Aaron-He has a nice voice but I cannot take him seriously. I mean he is totally unconvincing singing "Ain't No Sunshine" when I am pretty sure he has not ever even seen first base except in gym class.

Who will have to let it burn: Didi

6 comments:

Tinka said...

Yeah I would be eyeing that food in the green room all night especially if I was up last. I would be so pissed having to wait and then you're last, so then you probably don't get food because they clear it out as the audience leaves. Such BS.

Being an ex-Claymate I take offense to that statement. I had a calendar of Clayton and it was 12 months of eye candy for me so I don't know what you are talking about.

LOL to Kara's mantra in the mirror. And Kim, Ryan has always been a douche. He was a douche when he used to sit in on Talk Soup back when I was 12. I still want to punch him in the face.

I thought Alex was really great. After that dopey wedding video I stopped listening to the song and I found this version much more appealing. And why haven't you seen Mr. Brown doing community service yet?

Very funny stuff. You found a lot of humor in a VERY boring show tonight. Mad props, dawg.

Bottom three: Tim, Katie, and Didi. Going home: Tim.

And Kim, you totally still wear Cher's yellow skirt outfit.

Maeve said...

OK.... TOTALLY spotted Sue in the audience... made me wish it was mid April so Glee could just start!!!!

Also... I wish you could add pics of the people when you reference them... I always forget their names... and then forget who I like...

BUT... I like Lee - he's adorable (not how Ellen used that word for the drinking game) and he's got a great voice

I also really like Crystal... however I'm having a really hard time with the dreads... I mean.. come on... brush your damm hair girl!!

And I hate Clay... sorry Katie- he's not eye candy.

Very funny Kimber!!!

Unknown said...

Awesome recap. I think Casey is my new fave...I was getting all ga ga watching him last night! So cute! And I have to agree with you about Didi...love ya Didi, but you've lost it. And she's a bit of a basketcase (like I should be talking!) Katie, Aaron (Kaaron) - just not my cup of tea. I was a bit weirded out by Crystal in the red dress - kind of like eating generic Oreos. It looks like it's going to be okay, and then you have a taste and realize something is just not right!

Anonymous said...

Casey was smiling like an idiot. Thank you for pointing that out. Don't know why Kara told him to pick a song with more range after he had probably the best performance of the night.
You keep saying Alex, but isn't his name Andrew Garcia? He has a neck tattoo which means there is something legitimately wrong with him.
Siobhan sucked, and she does scream at the end of every song. And not the mariah screech, but an actual, omg is someone getting raped scream? She needs to get rid of her oversized glasses. I really don't understand this nerd look. Even nerds are wearing cooler glasses. I don't understand fashion and never will, but as someone who has had to wear glasses since 1990, I can say, that glasses suck and the bigger they are, the lamer they are, it doesn't make you cool to wear lame glasses,it makes you lame.
I like that Tim was laughing, and when Kara was asking why are you laughing, it would have been great if he just said, "Listen, I'm young, I know I'm not that good, you made me a lot of money by getting me onto the tour, and I will be stepping in trim for the next 5-10 years because of it. So whatever you are trying to say this week, I don't care, I'm playing with house money. If I make it through to next week, I am going to dso the spoken word version of Rocket man while smoking a cigarette on stage."
And the funniest part of the night was when Kara said she liked Aaron, but didn't love him and him not sure what it meant. Then Ryan whispered, "She doesn't like you like you." And then he understood.

-Chris

Melissa Swartley said...

Even though I don't watch AI (I know, I got to start) you crack me up Kim! Your reviews are absolutely hilarious! Thank you for the bursts of laughter, that's just what I needed today in the hospital! Love ya! :)

Greene Family said...

Great review! I just watched this episode tonight, and I was surprised by how off key Siobhan was. I really like Casey, but yep - the smile was a little weird tonight. I did feel bad for Didi with Ryan putting her on the spot like that. Lee is my favorite at this point. Haha - I'm so glad that you would still blog from your yacht!