Sunday, November 29, 2009

What I am Thankful For

This year I am thankful for many things.  One is my wonderful family.  Last weekend before Thanksgiving we all went to see the tree being lit at the local shopping “fashion park.”  My family has been my lifeline.  My parents are the most amazing grandparents to Preston.  They have been my saviors.  I am also thankful for three wonderful siblings.  This year I got a new brother-in-law too! 

IMG_1118

I am thankful that I have the world’s most amazing friends.  Not only those I have known all my life and cherish with all my heart, but those of you that are now in my life because of Preston.  I feel so blessed that I can share my life and you all can share your lives with me.  Katie Johnson messaged me on Facebook a few weeks back and said we have 70 mutual friends! Our “family” is truly amazing and I don’t know what I would do without you all.  I am thankful for my health (even though my mother, Mel and Marrah have dealt with my self-diagnosing whatever I find on WebMD).  I am thankful for a fulfilling career with a great firm and wonderful people. 

I am thankful that Preston has such wonderful friends and a great personality and that he has a thirst for knowledge.  I am thankful he loves school and is so loved by everyone.  Here he is at Julia’s birthday party helping to blow up the bounce house:

IMG_1203

Mostly I am thankful for this:

IMG_1435

The absolute love of my life.

Now on to Thanksgiving.  We planned this year to do Thanksgiving in New York and Christmas in Virginia.  We set out Wednesday in the world’s worst driving weather (fine mist) and 10 1/2 hours later we made it to New York.  I must say Preston was a gem but the traffic was just awful.  As I said on Facebook, northbound on I-95 there were 10 accidents and 23 state troopers for the duration of the trip.  It took an hour just to get through Delaware---all 11 miles of it!  It was worth it because the next day Preston was up at the crack of dawn for the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade:

IMG_1252

Ready to go!

IMG_1257

Preston the Straphanger.  We cabbed it to 63rd and Central Park West.  The weather was amazing for the first hour until the wind picked up.

IMG_1271

This position and then picture both legs upon my right shoulder was how we spent the parade.  Mommy was so sore for two days after but for him to see more than just the big balloons, he needed to be up in the air. Katie and Steve were on the park side of the parade across the street and Steve said he kept seeing Preston go up, a float would go by, Preston would come down, and so on and so forth.  Here is how the parade starts: with the Macy’s stars.  My sister has been going to the parade for about 15 years straight, maybe more and is on a list to march in it.  Her wish is to hold the star.  Hear that Oprah?  Katie wants the stars!

IMG_1275

He absolutely LOVED the parade. I will put more pics of the balloons up on Facebook but here were some of his all time faves:

IMG_1277

IMG_1317

IMG_1332

IMG_1329

IMG_1324

IMG_1361

For all you Ghostbusters fans-how cool if this was the Stay Puft Marshmallow man instead of the Pillsbury Dough Boy?

Of course the absolute hands down favorite was the man himself-SANTA!  My son is over the moon about Santa.  Here he is!

IMG_1371

IMG_1369

And there was one happy boy because we got back to the apartment before Santa had made it to Herald Square!  Here is my handsome boy dressed for Thanksgiving.

IMG_1390

That night at about 10:30 he came down with a low grade fever and sore throat.  Because I have a Virginia health plan and it was not accepted at Urgent Care, we had to go to the ER. The nurses were floored that he was so cooperative-even asked when they were going to take his blood pressure.  He was given a throat culture and sent home with antibiotics. He was so feverish and lethargic that we drove home on Friday evening.  I didn’t get to see my friends or spend the night at Marrah’s, but he was just feeling so crummy.  Saturday morning he woke up happy and the fever broke.  His culture, I found out today, was negative so no more amoxicillin (and as I had said he hated amoxicillin which is just plain weird to me.  But nothing beats him telling me that the bottle said, “Kids don’t like this.”). I think that he was run down after all the excitement-at the parade he had his jacket off for a half hour since it was super warm when we first got there and his sleeping was very off.  But back to normal now!

IMG_1408 

Notice my brother with his stupid faces in pics all the time! IMG_1419

Last but not least, how cool is this train he got from Grandma and PaPa for his room?  It plays 20 songs and real smoke billows out of the smokestack! It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

IMG_1427

15 comments:

Mel said...

Im SUPER bummed that I didnt get to see you guys this weekend due to illness, but i AM seeing you in a few short days at the TDM!!!! Cant wait!
Oh, and I am too am thankful for a lot of things, and would be even more thankful next year if Matt would decided to leave town again without a trace. that would be grand. just saying...

Michelle said...

WOW!!! Sounds like a great trip to see the parade (outside of the ER visit:-(.) Preston is just so darned cute!!! He seems so smiley and happy!! Love it!!

Unknown said...

Well, I am super thankful to have you and Preston in my life. One of these days we have to go to a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Glad no strep for Pres! Aidan is sooooooo jealous of that train! I swear Preston and Aidan have to meet real soon!!

Alex said...

What a great post Kim! I am so thankful for our LPA family, you guys are such a big part of my life! We are so very lucky to have our kids and each other!!!

The Wymers said...

Looks like you guys had lots of fun in NY - prior to the fever and returning home early part, anyways.

And I'm super thankful to have you guys (and all our LP peeps) in my life too - isn't it funny how you can have "friends" that you've never met in person but who you know tons about and look forward to hearing about their antics? :o) Love all of it.

Now you gotta help Pres learn the songs to go with his cool new train so you can video him and put it up on here for all of us to "ooh" and "aah" over! :o) LOL!

Anonymous said...

So glad he is feeling better -- it is so hard to tell when their fever is going to be nothing or a big illness. We did the parade one year when we lived in New Jersey. It was definately a different experience than watching it on TV. Glad you had a good Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post! Having kids like ours has given us so much to be thankful for! The parade looks AMAZING...I am trying like heck to convince my family that that is where we need to be next Turkey Day! The kids loved it on TV and I know seeing it in person would be wonderful. I'm so glad Preston is feeling better...what a bummer...but we always say, it wouldn't be a holiday without an illness or injury! Seems to always happen on the happiest days of the year! Pres looks so handsome in his Thanksgiving Day sweater.

Greene Family said...

Beautiful post!! I too am so thankful for our LP family! I'm just in love with Preston, and I talk about you guys like I have known you for years! :) Hopefully, we can meet up after the holidays!
How exciting to be at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade! I have tried to convince Jason that we need to go, but I haven't won yet. This year I told him that I'm going to take the boys next year as a Mommy & sons trip, and he can have dinner ready for us when we return home! He says that he will then go to the Rose Bowl parade with the boys where it is warm! :)
Great pictures!! Preston looks so handsome in his Thanksgiving attire! Love the picture of the two of you and the one with Preston and his new train - he looks so excited!

Melissa Swartley said...

What a great time! I totally want to take my girls to the Macy's parade some day! Maybe next year or the following year when Sonya is just a bit older and capable of withstanding the craziness! I love the snoopy! He's my absolute fave! Sonya was gaga over Elmo of course! Looks like Preston had a great time! Glad to hear that he is feeling better!

Maeve said...

Is Steve sitting on Charlies lap? haha... love the pics!

Jaime said...

I am so thankful for you and ALL of the people that have joined our "family" over the past few years. We are truly blessed to have each other to lean on when the time comes.

The parade looks AWESOME!! I know that Caitlyn would just love to see the balloons up close! She would ooh and aww over each one that passed by.

I agree with Melissa; we need another video of Pres singing. Caitlyn still talks about the one where he's singing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame."

marrah said...

Preston looks even cuter here in these pics (I did not think that was even possible). We missed seeing you guys very much but will see you soon. I love you with all my heart and am sooo thankful to have you in my life. You are a wonderful person and friend. xoxoxoxox

Rosie said...

Sorry just now trying to catch up with my blog reading... What a beautiful post.... I also thankful for all of our LPA family without you guys I would've been lost... Best pictures like always Kim

Cheryl (aka Garth) said...

I dont know which i love more - that Preston was so excited about the floats or that Katie is on a list to march in the parade and wants to hold a star. TOO CUTE!!!!!

Soooo sorry that Pres was sick. There is so much crud going around, I was reeeeally sick a few weeks ago and everyone is passing it around the office. YUCK.

Anthea said...

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Love all the photos....still love that one of you and Pres together. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here but I do appreciate the value of it over there. I also love your Thankful list.