Friday, November 20, 2009

Warning to Aunt Marrah….

I will explain the title in a minute….Last weekend if you can believe this both us and the Chase Family, unbeknownst to either of us, we both chose to take our kiddos to Build-A-Bear workshop! How funny that across the country my friend is doing the same thing with her kids?  I think it’s cool.  Pres already has two built bears-a bear from his Uncle Chris he received when he was born and a Yankee dressed Monkey from Cousin Caitlin.  Preston picked out a black bear which is cute since when I was a little girl I had a huge black bear who I named “Black Bear.”  I was creative huh?  Here is Preston helping out:

IMG_1015 IMG_1016

Picking out his heart and helping stuff his bear. He hugged his bear to see if there was the proper amount of stuffing.

IMG_1017 IMG_1018

Then he rubbed his heart in his hands and on his face, kissed it and made a wish and stuffed the heart inside.

IMG_1021 Then off to give his bear a bath!

IMG_1027

Preston picked out a cool fireman outfit.  We also bought a tee shirt for his other bear that lights up and says Merry Christmas. And here is just a pic of me and my favorite man in the world after our train ride around the outdoor mall.

IMG_1010

Now to explain about Marrah.  Marrah does not like to see pictures of Preston at appointments adorned in gowns or in a recovery room after an operation.  When Preston was two months he underwent an inguinal hernia repair.  I took a picture in the recovery room because under his gas mask he was sucking his pacifier.  Hilarious: BG

Well Tuesday was Preston’s sleep study.  Ugh.  He was actually kind of excited about it at first.  Here he is when we first got to the sleep lab.

IMG_1043

We decided to tell him he was going to be a super hero.  After the first 20 wires went on I don’t think he was convinced he was akin to Batman.  I could see the doubt in his mind (so his Mother’s child).  It’s like “where’s the cape?”  I also began thinking to myself, “I just told him he is getting super powers when he goes to sleep.  He is going to wake up and wonder why it is he cannot fly.  Perhaps I should switch gears.”  I then told him the wires hooked up to a robot that could read his dreams.  At that point I don’t think he gave a rat’s patoot:

IMG_1062

He did go to sleep pretty fast and then we re-inserted the nasal canula since that was pissing him off to no avail.  Once he was in REM sleep (in about 2.4 seconds) we put that on.  Of course the recliner I was promised went to the other mother down the hall so I had about five inches of bed to sleep on and was woken up pretty much every hour to the tech repositioning his wires. And getting that gunk out of his hair the next morning---ugh!!!! Needless to say I was told, “Mommy, I don’t ever want to come back here again.” Amen.

IMG_1066

13 comments:

Caden and Mommy said...

Build a Bear ~ So cute! Preston looks so proud - and the heart, precious! In the picture that he is holding his bear in the fireman outfit, Preston looks like he is about 8 or 9 - tell him to stop growing up! I haven't introduced Caden to that place yet, We could instantly go broke in there :0)
The Sleep Study! UCK! Caden has his in a few weeks, the thought of it makes me cringe! I love your story for Preson. I think Caden is too young to get the Robot and the dream story, but I might try. I am always so amazed kids can sleep with all that crap on them ... and the goooo in the hair, the grosest hardest stuff to get out! I hope you guys get okay results back! Keep us posted.
Preston looks pretty cute in his jammies! I love how you coordinated his socks and shoes with his PJ's. You are too much!
Have a great weekend!

Melissa Swartley said...

Awwww!!! We love Build a Bear Workshop! So much fun! I love the fireman clothes Preston picked out for his black bear! Glad he had a great time! Ugghhh... sleep studies! I hate that gunk that refuses to come out of the hair! It amazes me how anyone gets any sleep in the sleep study rooms! All the wires and techs coming in to reposition! Uggghh!!! We will be praying for good results!!!

Aunt Marrah said...

Ok-first let me say that I love my monkey so much. Second, the Build-a-Bear workshop pics are too cute. I love that he picked out a fireman's outfit....how boyish of him. Now, lastly...the sleep study pictures...honestly, you are aware of my feelings...was it necessary to show the gas mask pic once again?...Regardless of all the sleep study pics...I truly adore him (and think you are pretty ok yourself) CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU AND MY PRES-PRES NEXT WEEKEND!!!!!

Tonya said...

First off...your killing me with the whole matching outfit, socks and shoes!! Secondly...what a cute bear he made! Love the Firefighters!!! and thirdly...sleep studies are no fun! Why didn't they give you a bed or something? I am surprised they let you sleep with him, our sleep people must be too uptight...from lack of sleep I take it!

I LOVE PRES!!! I LOVE YOU!!!

The Wymers said...

Love his bear - too cute! And, it was probably a good call on your part to stop with the super-hero transformation story because he totally would have called you on it! :o) I can't believe he was able to sleep at all with all those wires on him! Makes me glad that we don't have to do that one with Nikki. And the PJs, really, even the socks match?! Wow. Just, wow. LOL!!!

Destini said...

Cute firefighter bear! Trace has the same Carter's PJs, very cute! Sleep studies just plain suck. Glad it didn't go too bad, although I love the pissed off look on Preston's face during the "hook up"! Hopefully you don't have to have anymore! Our ENT said Trace didn't need one, but Dr. Hoover-Fong LOVES sleep studies, so we are doing another one in the near future. I had repressed the memory of that freaking glue that is impossible to wash out...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

For a (brief) second, I thought you actually ran into the Chases at Build-A-Bear...and I was like, how cool! Serious blonde moment...totally forgetting they are across the country! Looks like Pres did an awesome job at the sleep study, despite not turning into a superhero! I hope the results come back perfect. And of course the shoes and socks match the jammies- I would expect nothing less from you Kim! I am the opposite of Marrah - that post-op pic from the hernia is one of my favs! Just love the binky!

Greene Family said...

So cute - love Preston's firefighter bear! It looks like he had a lot of fun building him, and it looks like he gave his heart extra love! Simon made a monkey for Jude just before he was born and had fun with it all!
Preston is way too cute in his pajamas and matching socks and shoes!! I'm glad that Preston was able to sleep pretty well with all of those wires attached. I can't believe that they didn't have at least a recliner for you. We've been lucky and haven't had to have a sleep study with Simon. We will be praying that you get great results back from the study!

Unknown said...

2 great minds think alike. I'm surprised they didn't have a Frosty there. What a cute fireman bear he made! As for coming to TN for the National next year....I am hoping to....depends on the funds...and if Todd can get time off during the 4th of July weekend which would be a miracle. WHY DO THEY HAVE IT DURING THE 4TH OF JULY WEEKEND EVERY YEAR??? I truly hate the sleep studies. Aidan's had 2. Todd and I traded off nights. Neither of us slept. Aidan slept. Glad to see Preston slept and looked adroable as ususal even with all the wires stuck to him.

Lisa said...

The Build A Bear fireman is too cute. Loved it! I've held off doing that for Liz because it always seems insanely busy around us, but it looked like a wonderful experience. The pic. of the two of you is so sweet. The sleep study is always a pain, but I must say the pics. from the sleep study are adoringly sweet.

Anonymous said...

He looks so adorable with his bear -- he looks so proud! Sleep studies are the WORST, aren't they? Hope you don't have any more anytime soon!

Leong Family's said...

I love Pres PJ outfit!!He is just too cute. Poor little Pres to have all the wires over him!! Wish he won't have those anymore in future.