Sunday, December 6, 2009

Happy 4th Birthday Preston!

I am actually shocked that my Pres Pres is four.  FOUR!  I cannot believe I have a four year old.  Wow.  What a birthday weekend.  Aunt Melski flew down to VA on Friday.  I walked in the door only to find that my sister flew down earlier that day to surprise us!  I was floored!  Saturday was Preston’s party.  I had sent out invites before Thanksgiving and had two kids say yes prior to the Thanksgiving. Then the floodgates opened and about 14 kids said “yes,” with parents and his two teachers.  I had a party at a Children’s Farm at a park here in Richmond called Maymont.  The kids would feed the animals, have cake, go on a hay ride.  Perfect.  Of course Saturday was the worst weather day Richmond has seen in 2009.  It was cold, raining, pretty much miserable.  But you know what?  Everyone showed up, the kids went into the barn to feed the animals, instead of the hayride, a duck and bunny were brought into the classroom for the kids to pet and Preston had a blast opening all his presents.  There were a few snags that I had with the place (for example, I wanted a second gallon of animal feed but the place had ONE, you heard me ONE Tupperware to hold animal feed.  I mean, seriously? One bucket?  It’s a barn! You have one bucket to feed your whole flock/herd? Then I had to find someone to open paddocks otherwise the kids were throwing food at the animals, but I digress).  It was a huge success. The kids really enjoyed it. (Oh and the rain-it stopped like two hours after the party naturally). Here are some pics from the day: (To protect the children, I cannot post many of the pictures)

IMG_1494

IMG_1495

My neighbor Sarah made the cake from scratch.  It was so delicious! Of course as we were cutting it, Preston requested a wheel.  He did settle for the smokestack.

IMG_1515

My dad has always enjoyed feeding goats at petting zoos.

IMG_1537

IMG_1516

IMG_1518

IMG_1528

My best friend from law school Jordana and baby Maddy.

IMG_1552

Mel, Mom and Katie getting down at the barn.

IMG_1553

This morning Preston opened all his presents.  He is very into presents.  I got him the Thomas train table that goes under the bed (anyone who knows me knows I hate messes and tons of toys everywhere so this is fabulous).  My dad of course was putting it together at about 11:30 last night.  I also got him a few other things and my parents got him a ton.  Aunt Melski and Aunt Tinka were also super generous. Check out the morning “do.”

IMG_1582

Today we also put up all the lights.  We still have a few more wreaths to hang and I will post pictures.  This year Katie (my sibling that always put up great lights) got Preston in on the action.  He even held the ladder.

IMG_1603

IMG_1606

IMG_1610

Have a great week everyone!

18 comments:

Sara said...

It looks like Preston had a great birthday! You planned a fabulous party, Kim! Sorry the weather was icky, but it looks like it turned into a great time anyway. :)

Alex said...

What a great birthday!! He is so lucky to have you as a mom, you do such an amazing job Kim!

Jen Weisser said...

Happy Birthday Preston!!!! Looks like a super fun party! Sorry the weather was awful! That cake was awesome!!!

Unknown said...

What an awesome party! We so miss celebrating with Preston on his birthday. Bummer about the weather, but it looks like evryone had a great time anyway! And the cake...incredible! Happy, Happy Birthday Preston!

The Wymers said...

Happy Birthday Preston! What a cool cake! Glad the kids had fun at the farm even though the weather wasn't too great - what a cool idea for a party location!

Andrea said...

Hope Preston had the best birthday ever!!! Looks like a lot of fun!!

The Johnson Family 5 said...

How is it even possible that Pres is a 4 year old BOY! Holy me! He is probably the cutest 4 year old I know! I can't wait to meet him one day and snuggle all over him. cole would LOVE P's new train table! What a great birthday! Such a lucky little guy to have such a fabulous mommy like you!

Mel said...

I had so much fun with you guys! Preston is so cute, smart and funny. He is the BEST little guy!

Laura Wolf said...

What fun! Who doesn't like visiting the animals. I hate that my kids birthday's are in January when it's cold and snowy. Can't enjoy the outdoors. What a big 4 year old you have, they do grow up fast. I can't believe my 1st baby is going to be 6. Makes me feel old now. I'm thinking next year for the Thomas table. What little boy doesn't like Thomas?

Greene Family said...

Happy 4th Birthday Preston!! Looks like an awesome party and that is a cool cake! Simon loves trains right now, so I hear "choo choo" many times a day lately! Sorry the weather wasn't the most cooperative, but it looks like everyone had a great time! Preston is one very loved little boy!

Unknown said...

Wow! Preston is 4. Growing up before your very eyes. How wonderful that so many people came to Preston's birthday party....December birthdays are rough ones on kids. Everyone looks like they had a fab time too. Aidan loves Preston's new train table!!! Happy Birthday Pres!!

Leong Family's said...

Happy Birthday Preston!! Look like you have a blast birthday party and lots of fun!! Kim, you are a great mom.

Destini said...

Awesome cake, and the barn is a great idea, even if the weather didn't cooperate! Way to go on a train table that goes under the bed, I didn't know they made those! Happy Birthday Preston!

Anthea said...

Happy Birthday Pres!

marrah said...

Can't believe my nephew is 4 years old already. I remember the day he was born----love you pres-pres...Hope ALL your hopes and dream comes true... xoxoxox

Kasia and Amelia said...

Happy belated Birthday Preston! You are such a big boy now! And what a great celebration, beautiful cake and the idea of animals birthday! I love it! Kids love farm animals, Ollie asks me almost every day to go to the ZOO and for what? Nevermind the tigers, bears and crocodiles, he only wants to feed the goats and play with farm animals!
Best wishes!

Melissa Swartley said...

What a great 4th birthday!!! Happy Birthday Preston!!! Cool train cake and table! You are way ahead of us with the lights! We just dragged ours out of the attic today!

Caden and Mommy said...

FOUR?! Really?! I'm glad to hear that Preston's party was a success! Your comments about the feed make me laugh! Yes, pretty amazing, one tub for all the kids?! - Really?! The cake was super cute too! ... I dig Preston's morning "do" .. he looks so proud of his train ... even though he still looks half asleep :0)