Tuesday, May 6, 2008

American Idol-Week 9

Rock n' Roll night. How did they do? Well first off they decided to critique after each song-I am sure for Paula's benefit. Simon seemed so protective of her this week that after each critique he would say, "Thanks Paula." And he would beam like a proud father. Thank you Paula for a semi-coherent critique that will not spark more Internet rumors of your possible self medication. Poor Paula. I think she is just going through a rough time. Her hair looked great tonight though....

Moving on. We are down to the final four! Unlike this past March Madness, this Final Four to me is not made up of all Number 1s, because just in case you forgot, Michael is no longer with us...David Cook started us out with "Hungry Like the Wolf." OK so I am a huge Cook fan. I love him. I think in eight months he will be on the radio, but I don't like people messing with the 80's. Remember my story about the synthesizer? Well the 80's are just my thing. My favorite song from the 80's is "Gloria." I love electrified voices, big hair, videos so awful that they are amazing, etc. I love the 80's. I even loved the VH1 special about "I Love the 80's." My sainted IPod sports a good 70% from that era alone. I mean you have hair bands, Madonna, Prince, Men at Work, need I go on? It's just a decade that should not be messed with and Duran Duran should not be messed with. I promise in a future post I will dedicate it to my top 10 favorite 80'songs. Now that you are hanging on the edge of your seat in anticipation, I will move on.

Syesha did "Proud Mary." Funny story about this. I was uploading songs onto my mother's IPod and this was one of the songs she was putting onto her ITunes library. I was also playing the song and Preston wandered into the room. Next thing you know all of us were dancing to the song. Preston was doing the moves and everything. The next few days he walked around going "Rolling....rolling." So cute. Anyway, I think she was awesome. She is truly a great performer.

Jason, Jason, Jason. What in the hell were you thinking? "I Shot the Sheriff?" Were you thinking, "Bob has dreadlocks, I have dreadlocks? Bob smoked weed? I live in a permanent drug induced haze?" I had one word for his performance-painful. It was really bad.

David Archuleta. "Stand By Me." It's as wholesome as white bread in a 1950's soda shop. Apparently David never sang this song to anything but his dog. How sad. The issue I had was with the wardrobe people. I mean here is David Archuleta-who literally stepped out of his alter boy robes prior to trying out and is singing "Stand By Me" and he is dressed like one of those artsy dudes at a small college in the North East majoring in Organic Recycling, driving a car with a bumper sticker counting down to Bush's last day in office and working at Starbucks in his free time. At first I thought it was a barbed wire shirt, but then realized it was a bitchin seagull tee with SKINNY JEANS! I mean really. And have we noticed David's father in honor of his son potentially becoming the next American Idol has retired his trailer park mesh baseball hat for a newsie? How chic.

Round 2 for David Cook was just awesome. He did The Who proud. Although after he screamed "They're all wasted." I know Jason was backstage saying "Totally. Rock on Dude." Syesha-ok I have a confession. She sang the song as Simon would say "brilliantly," but I was a little bored. I found myself thinking about balancing my checkbook and the billable hours I have to make up tomorrow for today. She was very good though. Randy totally feels like an idiot, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. And after Jason's second terrible performance if she goes home then I may not continue watching the show. David ended the show with "Love me Tender." To me it was ok. David said he never has sung a romantic song, but considering it is a safe bet that David has never been to second base, I don't know about his level of romanticism.

I think Jason goes home, as does Simon and I love Simon so we will see. Speaking of Simon I am looking for a second husband similar to his way of thinking. See Simon is not into the romantic holidays and special dates, he told a magazine "If Terry [his fiancee/girlfriend] wants a car, I'll just get her a car." See this is what I need for Round 2. And the accent too! Hee hee!

Who's it going to be?????

4 comments:

Renay said...

Frankly, I'm in mourning already...very sad about Jason's evening. I really don't believe Syesha is top 3 material (she should've gone home well before MJ, and has just gotten lucky with still being around to have the opportunity to improve and I still think she's totally broadway which does NOT equal AI) so I do hope she goes home and my dear Jay is spared. It's sad to me, as the show draws to a close and we must wait 3 billion years for the next AI so I am just bummed already. When do you leave? I'm bummed you won't be around for the finale. I guess I'm altogther bummed in general. What a downer;-(

Anonymous said...

Ok, I do not watch AI but I always check your updates to see who might be going home...I feel like a traitor to my generation if I don't have even the slightest clue as to what's happening on this show! All I have to say though, is that you made mention of "Gloria"...and well, you just wait and hear the stories my parents will share with you about my Flashdance phase!

Anonymous said...

I think Steve got a little choked up when Paula gave Syesha a really nice compliment. He was shocked at how sincere and well put together it was.

I was sad they opened with Cook because that meant he wasn't closing. What was even more pathetic was Archuletta closing and I think he's an abomination to anything that isn't a ballad. And I've got his "moves" down so well, the right hand gesturing to the crowd as he bends over in pain and shakes his dumb head back and forth. UGH! I hate this kid. I hope he wins and then AI gets screwed because he won't sell. Teeny boppers can't afford his cd on their allowance. Plus he can't talk and his fake shock to Simon's blantant licking of his ass almost propelled me to buy a plane ticket to LA and severly beat the crap out of his goofy 17 year old face. What 17 year old that you were friends with acted like that? I thought so. His Love Me Tender was terrible and Stand By Me is not rock n roll. It's a ballad. He cheats on every theme! Okay, I'm done ranting (for now).

I love David Cook. I will fight you for him, Kim. His first song was just all sex. Those eyes, like he was on the prowl, yum. And then the second song was just beautiful. Beautiful beautiful beautiful. That was my second fave performance of his to date.

I have Syesha and Jason in the bottom, Jason going home to get more baggies.

Great post, Kim. I loved it.

Anonymous said...

If Jason doesn't go home tonight... I'll have to boycott the show....I mean he totally forgot the words to the song!!!!!