Sunday, September 12, 2010

Back to School!

Preston doesn’t technically have a summer vacation.  His school becomes a summer camp in late June.  I was very excited about the start of the new Montessori year! He was ready (and mommy) for routine to kick in (*read 7:30 bedtime). This year the school has two Montessori classrooms.  He is with the four-five year olds and has some new children in his class.  The night before school started we headed over to Rita’s for some end of summer ice cream!

IMG_4966

Last Tuesday started with the neighborhood First Day of School Breakfast!  All the neighbors and kids get together for pictures and head up to the bus stop together.  Here is Pres eating a very nutritious breakfast.

IMG_4971

Then we headed over to school and I was snapping away.  This is his last year before kindergarten!

IMG_4972

IMG_4974

IMG_4980

IMG_4981

IMG_4979

Here’s to a wonderful year Preston! Mommy knows you will do amazing!

Saturday I took Preston to the Barnes & Noble Story Time.  The theme was Clifford Teaches Fire Safety. We started out by making a Clifford fire dog craft. Then it was time for the stories. They were going to have three stories, but instead there was one story with Clifford before the Chesterfield Fire Department showed up!  The kids were so excited.  What I enjoyed was the fireman came and showed the kids all the gear he would have on in a fire and how he would sound with the breathing mask so they would not be frightened should they ever be in a fire.  I thought that was a really great idea. He started in a tee shirt and pants and put everything on one by one. They also learned to stay low and get to a safe place outside the home.  And of course, stop, drop and roll.  But nothing was more of a joy than getting to climb and explore the hook and ladder and pumper trucks. 

IMG_4994

IMG_4999

IMG_5007

IMG_5010

IMG_5009

IMG_5008

This picture both cracks me up and annoys me.  Pres was totally onto the fact that Clifford was a person.  He turned right to me and said, “Is there a person in there?”  Nevertheless I wanted a picture of Pres with Clifford.  This very annoying kid would not move and his parents heard me ask for him to move and they stood there.  I was so annoyed and Pres was annoyed that I had .567th of a second to snap the picture before Pres was back on the fire truck.  So good to know that at least this kid blocked any indecency Clifford would have shown us.  No redaction necessary.

IMG_5013

My news of the weekend-It appears we are progressing on the house finally!  After staring at dirt and weeds for four months-we have foundation!

IMG_5014

9 comments:

Yiannakis Family said...

Such a great idea to have the neighborhood breakfast on the first day. Love it!! Preston looks handsome as always, but my favorite is the shot of him walking away with his Yankees backpack. Hope it's a great year!!

Destini said...

I wish I could get my kids in bed at 7:30!! A lot of nights that's when we get home after the kids' activities! Pres is just too cute at school and with the fire trucks!

Unknown said...

Hooray for back to school! Pres looks like such a little man! Love all the fire truck pics, that must have been a very exciting day. I can see where it would have been tough to get a pic with Clifford - but nonetheless, you managed to snap a winner! Hilarious!

Susan said...

Love the back to school pictures! Preston looks so grown up with all his school gear! I like the ready-for-school breakfast too (even if it's not real nutritious). That's a great idea!
I love that the fireman showed the kids all his gear and demonstrated by putting it on for them. Love the Clifford craftwork, too. When one of my grandson's was 9, he would put on the school library's Clifford costume and help walk the little kids out to the bus (my daughter is a teacher). His 5 year old brother never caught on that it was his older brother in that costume. He believed it was really Clifford. Just takes some kids longer to get that figured out, I guess. :0)

The Wymers said...

Wow - you're a nicer mom than I am if you relax the 7:30 bedtime during the summer ... my kids are in bed at that time NO MATTER WHAT! Yes, I'm a bedtime nazi and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Love all the pics of Pres at the story-time, and I totally hear ya on the one kid who wouldn't get otu of the way. I hate it when parents don't step in and make their kid get out of the freaking way so somebody else can (potentially) take a nice picture.

Oh, and YAY!!!!! for the foundation being poured! Next thing you know there will be walls and stuff too! :o)

Greene Family said...

Love Preston's first day of school pictures! I can't believe it's his last year before kindergarten! Our boys are growing up too fast! How fun for all of the kids to have breakfast together and then walk to the bus stop together on the first day of school!
What a great story time that turned out to be! Simon will be excited to see all of these fire truck pictures in the morning! I get so annoyed when parents don't step in and move their kid out of the way too, but that is a funny picture! :)
YAY for having a foundation! Hopefully, the rest of the build will go smoothly!

Melissa Swartley said...

Wow! Super cool that the firemen did a very thorough job in teaching the kids! Awesome that they reminded the kids how they would look and sound so as not to frighten them! The Clifford pic, I can not stop laughing! photo bombing at it's best, but Preston is way too cute as always!!! Love his back to school pictures!!! I can't believe I will be going through this next year with Sonya... so not ready! I just caught up on your last post too. I am so sorry to hear that you lost a friend in the 9/11 attacks and that your grandmother passed away the day before. Your post had me in tears, as anything about that awful day always does. You're right, those images will forever be etched into the minds of millions. We will never forget.

The Johnson Family 5 said...

My sweet little boyfriend! I could seriously smooch every single inch of his little body! Pres is beyond adorable! I so wish our boys could hang out. They love the same things!

Caden and Mommy said...

I HEART Preston! So stinkin cute ~ he looks so sweet with the picture of his teacher.
A visit with the fire truck, nice for the Mommies too - hopefully you spotted some nice eye candy on that adventure!
Hooray for progress on the house!