Monday, June 28, 2010

The “BGE”

My mother gave us the idea of a girls’ weekend.  And the BGE (Busch Gardens Extravaganza) was born sometime in March.  Of course we were not expecting it to be the same temperature as the Equator here in Richmond, but we made the best of the heat and would not let it stop our fun.  I was beyond giddy to pick up Katie, Mel and Maeve at the airport on Friday night.  We had such a great weekend.  Saturday we spent the day at Busch Gardens.  I don’t think I have ever been so disgusting in my entire life-literally I repulsed myself, but still all in all we looked better than 98% of the population at the amusement park.  You know when you watch the Idol tryouts and you say to yourself, “These people cannot be real.” Well then you go to an amusement park.  And you see the girl in 150 degree heat wearing a tube top (and she should not be), that is cropped, with denim daisy dukes and heels.  And then you understand that there are really those people in the world.  Nothing like a trip to an amusement park to give you that ego boost you were looking for.  Let’s get to the pics!

Here are all the girls before the adventure.

IMG_4242

PaPa and Pres ready to tackle the coasters!

IMG_4243

Now, Mel and I frequented BG a few times in high school back when we thought we were super cool (as opposed to now when we know we are super cool). I so wish I could locate the pictures, but alas, I believe they are in my attic with the boxes to go to the new house.  Here is our very cool “listening leg” pose.

IMG_4246

Katie, Maeve and Preston get in the famous barrels!

IMG_4260

Mel and Pres on the elephant roller coaster!

IMG_4255

My little man going on rides all by himself! Such a big boy!  He begged me to take him on the big roller coaster and hold him in my lap.  He has no fear!

IMG_4258

Katie showing her true feelings on the closing and taking down of the legendary Big Bad Wolf ride.  It was such an awesome coaster:

IMG_4263

As I said last year I have become a tad wimpy in my later years with roller coasters.  For some reason this one freaks me out and I don’t know why.

 IMG_4272

That’s not even 90 degrees.  I think it bends inward! Maeve bowed out as did I, (and this was the only coaster I did not ride) although Mel only finds room in her heart to mock me.  Mel and my dad went in the third row-see it the one that does not dangle.  My crazy sister was in the front row on the very last seat on the side that is hovering in mid air---not even on the track. And she did not even HOLD ON! The issue with Griffon is that it suspends you there. For like 10 seconds before the dropping.  The part of the coasters that freak me the most is going up so staying up I think is the problem. I also think that the safety harness will give and I will die a horrendous death that will caught by some camera phone only to be replayed on YouTube 9 million times.  Needless to say the mocking of me wimping out has even come through my work e-mails. I will conquer Griffon.  I will. 

And here are Maeve and Pres in the Land of the Dragons.  He even conquered the rope bridge on his own.  He is actually cooler than his own mother who is completely afraid of heights.

IMG_4275

Oh and why did a ride get held up that Pres was riding?  Because Preston told the ride operator that the boy behind him was not strapped in properly.  Seriously, how much is this child my son? And lastly here is Pres and Aunt Tinka doing Lite Brite yesterday.  We also browsed the bookstore, hit up Sonic, saw the model at my new development, made Katie and Mel watch Glee and ate a lot of good food!

IMG_4282

It was such a fun weekend.  Miss all the girls already!!! I hope we can make this a tradition!

11 comments:

Maeve said...

YAY!!!! It was a super fun weekend!!!! I'll have to upload some of the pics I took later...

I love the pic of me and pres in the land of the dragons... and he was such a big kid while crossing the rope bridge (a bit better than tinka! haha)

Can't wait to see your new house!!! The model is amazing!

YAY BGE!!!!

xoxo

Destini said...

Wow, sounds like lots of fun! We're thinking of hitting up BG in September sometime!

Mel said...

It was a GREAT weekend! of course, i did want to go visit my favorite deadbeat dad, but he was probably too busy "working on things" "out of town".
I think the best part of the trip was watching how excited pres was at BG! Cant wait to come back and stay at your AMAZING new place!!!!

Unknown said...

So much fun!!! What a great idea your mom had! You girls are adorable together. Love Katie's very apropos shirt. I am definitely fearful of roller coasters now in my old age! Love BG, hope to get there with the kids sometime soon!

The Johnson Family 5 said...

So So much fun!! I want to come join you all!!!!! Dying laughing over the way people dress...omg! So true!!! I want to get our boys together!!!

Tiffany said...

Don't worry Kim, I would have been right there with you taking the pictures from a little safe place on the ground, rather than fearing for my life up so high! :) I love little Preston's personality. It's hilarious that he would be concerned about someone else not being buckled. Cute, cute!

Melissa Swartley said...

Awesome! Seriously for a gal that has a fear of heights you rock going on all the coasters minus that absolutely crazy one! I totally have an insane fear of heights and have only been on a select few coasters... I don't know if I could muster up enough guts to get on one anymore! I'm a wuss! LOL @ the Youtube comment! Preston is a hoot! That's way too funny that he had the ride stopped and totally called that other kid out! LMAO! Glad you all had a blast!

mejane said...

You know what's funny? I went to an amusement park a few weeks ago with some friends from work and you and I are basically wearing the same exact thing! You can take a look on FB under "phots of me". AND...I felt gross too. AND...I don't know what repulsed me more, my hot stickiness or the other people at the park. I am so with you. Where do these people come from?

Tinka said...

The BGE was a HUGE success! I would gladly do it again! Kim, one day you will conquer Griffon, I promise. It's actually quite fun and the fact I threw up my fingers in a heavy metal gesture on the way down is slightly embarassing but you just get caught up in the moment. I can't believe you didn't go on that coaster but chose to ride Alpengiest that not one, but TWO people hurled on. Yum.

I'm looking forward to when we all get together again soon!

^_\

PS- Yeah, Maeve's right. Preston handled the ropes better than I ever could.

Greene Family said...

What an awesome weekend! You gals should definitely make it a tradition! Great pictures - makes me want to visit an amusement park soon (minus seeing the way people dress)! I can't believe that the Big Bad Wolf is gone though - it was an awesome roller coaster. There is no way I would go on the Griffon . . . I'm with you on worrying about the safety harness on those types of roller coasters. Preston cracks me up - so glad he is looking out for everyone's safety!

Commercial Cleaners Edison said...

Nice blog you have here, thanks for sharing this