Saturday, June 13, 2009

Start Spreading the News....

Preston-circa 7 months.

Ok guys, well I am trying to figure out how to do a New York "post," (pun completely intended) for the conference, but I am at a total loss. The conference is also a trip home for me and I must get together with the family and friends back on the Island on the 3rd and part of the 4th. I am only signed up for the Welcome Reception which is on Sunday. I know many of you signed up for events-and you should-after all it's New York, but I am passing on spending $100 bucks per event for places I have walked by 4 million times. But I want to meet everyone so I am in a dilemma. So this is what I need you to do: in the comments section here tell me what you are signed up for and when you arrive and where you are staying. Then this will make more sense.
But I feel that I owe you guys some NY tidbits on the subway system:

The Subway: Not to be confused with the sandwich place (Are you totally singing "Five...five dollar...."). Ahhh the good ol' MTA. The system is numbers and letters. The numbers or letters are in colors-but we are not Boston and we do not refer to our "lines" in color. Most of you are staying between the Marriott Downtown and the Marriott Brooklyn. To get back and forth you are going to take the Lexington Ave. line or the 4,5,6 line-but only the 4 and 5 run between these two places. There are schedules I think-I have never actually seen a subway schedule other than once online. They just come...back and forth. If there is a jam up you probably will not find anyone to ask and if they make an announcement there is a great chance the speaker will sound like Charlie Brown's teacher. You have a lot of those people that think they will solve said problem by walking to the edge and peering down the tracks looking for lights of the train-everyone does this-the train does not come faster-but you will probably see a rat.
And you may be lucky to see the following forms of shopping and entertainment:

a) Bootleg DVDs and CDs spread out on a dirty vile sheet to be easily picked up with the transit cops actually patrol.
b) Steel drum players or string quartets or people who paint themselves silver and stand still (I mean I don't get the silver paint-we are not confused-we know you are not a statue), break dancers all on the outside of the platform-some are pretty good-I don't really have time usually to stop and take it in when fighting 8 million to get to work. There is a calliope player-he is bent sideways, has long white hair and very scary puppets. He is usually in tunnels between big stations like Grand Central or Times Square.
c) The mariachi band or the break dancers who accompany you onto the train. HATE these people. There is nothing worse than five teenagers break dancing on a train. As a lawyer I love figuring out the liability suits while these kids are doing back flips. And the acoustics of the train car is less than ideal for the band.
d) Old foreign men and women selling batteries that are totally illegal and will run out before your destination. Meanwhile who is still listening to portable CD players that even require batteries?
e) The man that started the Homeless Food Drive-who brings Bologna sandwiches onto the trains and asks for your "dollars, quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies to make sure no one goes hungry." He carries credentials, but it seems he is the only person that does this Homeless Food Drive-and the thought of bologna sandwiches at 7am is enough to make me want to retch my Starbucks.
f) People that don't bathe and are wearing seventeen layers in 100 degree heat that have decided an entire row of perfectly good seats is an acceptable bed.
g) The kids who sell M&M's to stay out of trouble-I cannot help but think of Chris Rock's stand up about deadbeat dads who proclaim they take care of their kids and Chris said, "You don't get applause-you are supposed to take care of your kids." or something to that effect. So I do not feel I need to buy M&M's so a kid can do what they are supposed to do-go to school, not take drugs and stay out of trouble.
h)Bible readers-so loud an unnecessary when you are so close to the person next to you you can see their pores and all you want to do is just get to your destination in peace and quiet. And they always pick some violent passage too-about fire, brimstone, damnation-nothing upbeat at all. You usually feel pretty sucky about yourself if you actually listen.
i) People who feel the need to sing along outloud with their IPod-um perhaps you did not get the memo but you are not Beyonce, Britney, Lady Gaga...stop singing!
Aren't you psyched to ride??????

Weekends are not as bad and weekends in the city in the summer are much less crowded than let's say...Christmastime. Most people are at the beach. Add this to the holiday weekend and the city should be deader than normal. On the weekends there are always track changes and delays, most are noticed on signs in the station. And New Yorkers are nice-we are-we will always help a tourist find their way. We might not seem nice because we are tired, hot and stuck together on subways, but we do help! So don't be afraid to ask.

I would not however, recommened subways past eleven pm without a big entourage.


Taxis: Did you ever hear Jerry Seinfeld's stand up on NY cab drivers? My sister has the book-Katie quote me the lines-only Jerry does it right.
So grab your Metro Cards folks and let's go!
Preston circa December on the streets of Manhattan:

19 comments:

Jennifer said...

Kim, I'll be here in Grand Blanc Michigan. Or if I'm lucky, I'm going with a girlfriend up to Traverse City Michigan...the heart of cherry country! So sad not to meet you! That's my greatest regret about not going to NY. Not meeting you and Preston and all the other bloggers I haven't yet met. So sad:(

Unknown said...

Ha...love Jerry Seinfeld's bit..."What's with the cab drivers and the B.O.? Just how long are these shifts??" Too funny. OK - the Camenga crew will be arriving on the 4th and staying until the 7th at the Downtown Marriott. We are signed up for the Welcome reception only. We would really, really love to do the Bronx Zoo and thought Monday might be a good day for that, but we also don't want to miss the POLP meet-up at 1pm. So I'll wait and see what everyone else is doing. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

we are in NYC july 4th to the 11th. We have made this the ultimate vacation and signed up for practically everything. I will just look for Tonya and somehow I am thinking she will know how to find you. We should try to meet for breakfast or lunch one day. The meetings seem to keep us around the hotel until mid day. Thanks so much for the info

The Johnson Family 5 said...

So sad we aren't going to NYC, but after reading that post about the subwasy, I'm a little happy that we are waiting to make Nashville our first convention! haha Have fun {but not too much fun without me}! I can't wait to one day meet you and Pres!

Caden and Mommy said...

Kim - We will be there the 3rd through the 9th. We are staying at the Brooklyn Marriott. I was hoping for a more reassuring post from you about the subway :0) It really is like the movies, huh?! Neat!Sounds like I better bring ALOT of Purell!!!
I kind of wish we hadn't signed up for the tours ... but I wasnt sure how else we would be able to see the "sights" and this seemed like a logical way. But since we signed up for the Sunset Cruise we won't be able to attend the Welcome Reception :0(
Here's our itnerary:
Saturday - 4th of July BBQ
Sunday - DAAA Soccer games & Sunset Cruise
Monday - Caden's MAB Appts & POLP Meet & Greet
Tuesday - ?
Wednesday- Double Decker Bus tour in the morning
Thursday-? & Fly out at 6pm
Somewhere in there I want to go to Central Park & the Today show. It looks like Caden & I might be tackling the Today show ourself unless anyone else wants to go? anyone in? Dan want's no piece of that but I want to be the dork in the front row holding a sign :0)
I can't believe it is coming so quickly!!! ... and I love the picture of Preston at 7 months!

Laura Wolf said...

So sorry to miss everyone. We won't be able to go to NY. I will be enjoying a family reunion up north by Traverse City, MI. I'm going to try really hard to make it to Nashville in 2010. Maybe we'll see some of you there. That would be great.

mejane said...

Not going to NY this year and I am so bummed that we won't be able to meet you and all the others. With all the talk on POLP I thought we were the only ones not going, so it makes me feel a little better that we always have next year. I read the entire post anyway. I love NYC (only been twice) and will look out for the calliope player the next time we go.

Have fun everyone!!

Danielle said...

I'm still sad we aren't going, but your subway description totally made me think back to my college days taking the path to get into NYC and then the subway...I LOVE the bible readers! :) Thanks for making me smile!

Alex said...

Same as Trisha...we are signed up for a bunch of events and now I kind of wish we weren't.LOL
We get in Saturday the 4th.
Saturday: BBQ/fireworks
Sunday:parent group, welcome reception dinner (sam in kids room)
Monday: general assembly, parent group, WTC tour and medical consults.
Tuesday: not much planned
Wednesday: bus tour and kids banquet
Thursday: nothing planned
Friday: we leave

Melissa Swartley said...

Whatever you do, avoid walking over the grates in the sidewalk or you will have stinky hot air blow up your skirt, shorts, capris, and shirt and then you too will smell like a homeless man! Yuck! LOL! I loved this post! Ahhh NY! We will miss you guys so much! Too bad we can't make it this year even though it is only a 2 hour ride, we just don't have it in the funds! :( Love all the cute pic's of Preston! Have a great time!!!!

Unknown said...

Cali I will stay...not in the funds this year. So jealous of all of you going. You are all going to have such a great time. I guess the subways are just like I have heard. Great post Kim!

Tinka said...

"What's with the cab drivers and B.O.? Just how long are these shifts? It's like they just get in the cab and drive 'til they are dead. Then they always have that cherry popit on the dashboard. Like that's suppose to be some kind of an improvement. Now you've got the cherry flavored B.O. I can't even imagine fruit going that long without a shower."

Kim I am very excited to see you and meet your lovely friends! I think this will be a great time for everyone!

Hilarious post about subways. Not so hilarious is the fact they JUST upped the ride amount. I think it's $2.25 now which is so ridiculous. I could be wrong though. Hopefully I'm wrong. If I'm not, The Debster is going to be stingy with my transit check next month (like it comes out of her own pocket).

Anonymous said...

We will get there on Saturday and leave on Thursday. Planning to do the 4th of July thing and the Welcome Reception on Sunday. We are also going to the Brooklyn Children's Museum on Tuesday, but I haven't heard from anyone else who is planning to go.

Trisha -- I'm all for going to the Today show. Let's try to work something out.

Also, we will likely go to the Toys R Us in Times Square and maybe Dylan's Candy Bar.

Greene Family said...

Great post - made me laugh because I've heard the subway tidbits from our good friends that live on Long Island too! Love the Jerry Seinfeld quote - too funny!
We'll miss meeting you and Preston in NYC, but hopefully, we will be able to meet up some other time soon! Have a great time!
Adorable pictures of Preston!!

Destini said...

Hope everyone has fun in NYC!!! I think we are hitting a campground in South PA and Idlewild Park, so no subways for us, although I'm sure we'll take a trip on Mister Roger's Trolley!

The Wymers said...

Although I am slightly bummed that we can't go this year, your description of the subway system is hilarious! Thanks for the laugh! And, as always, love the pics of Pres....

Mike Mallinson said...

Cherylle read me your post like three days ago, so I'm surprised that she didn't leave the info here for you herself! I guess she's leaving the blog stuff to me, although god knows that hasn't worked so well with our own blog! LOL

We're in NY from the 4th thru the 15th as you've probably gathered from Facebook. We'll be at the Brooklyn Marriott from the 4th thru the 9th, then at the Affinia Manhattan, which is on 7th Ave and 31st St, kitty corner from Penn Station.

We're only signed up for the Welcome Reception and the Wednesday Banquet, although the kids are signed up for the kids room for the week so we can have our hands (and brains) free for workshops, etc. We pretty much played by ear in Detroit and it worked well, so we're gonna do the same in NY.

Looking forward to meeting you and the Dude!

Sara said...

Oooooo....I am so jealous! We went to Detroit last year and had a great time. Then I said I was for sure going to NY. I've never been to NY and decided I didn't want to do NY and an LPA conference at the same time. I decided to save my pennies for Nashville then. Now you are making me regret that decision! :)

I can't wait to hear what you all do at the conference. I'll have to live vicariously through all of you who are going and blog about it.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like NY will be fun! We will get out to an event one day; it's just not in the funds right now and I have a partnership business which takes up time too.

Your Subway Tips were hilarious and had me laughing out loud.

Have fun!