Tuesday, December 30, 2008

We Are Back!

We had a really nice time in New York. But I must tell you about my epiphany-I can now call Virginia...home! Yes! I mean let's get honest-I will always be a New Yorker. I will always cherish my beloved Yankees and Giants. I will always prefer a New York bagel and pizza to any other. I will always drive fast and without regard for others on the road, while changing radio stations and answering the phone and sipping coffee (don't ask-it's a talent). I will always have my accent. I do know though-that I made the best decision for Preston and I. I mean I am going back-hello new Yankee Stadium people! Derek Jeter in the flesh!

I just hope this year brings more opportunities for advancement in my career (I am a contracting attorney now and love the firm I am contracting with). I also hope that this year brings about those advancements so I can purchase my first home. I also hope that this year I can find someone special to start a new life with-2009 is also going to hopefully bring about more "Kim" time. Preston is my life and will always be my life, but I can stop bringing him with me to the salon and instead get a pedicure and hire a babysitter for Heaven's sake. Not to get overly sentimental but life in New York was hard at times. I had a great big apartment, but no parking. That meant a lot of times walking three blocks with Pres in any weather. It meant taking bags up and down the steps in shifts and then up the elevator in shifts. It was expensive! I know that I can have a wonderful life here and still be able to visit----because my parents' apartment on the Upper East Side is fab-u-lous. I love you NYC, but I am starting to love Virginia too! And in the words of Sinatra-"If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere." So thank you New York for making me the person I am today.

It just is amazing to me that in four months how the stress of bumper to bumper traffic has gone by the way of acid washed jeans. I literally was shaking through our crawl through the Lincoln Tunnel. Preston wanted to go on the subway-so we took it to my parents' apartment. So that meant Penn Station (34th Street West Side) to the A train-which was not running (after ten minutes of waiting) because of a medical emergency at 14th Street. So back upstairs, through Penn to the 2/3 train. One stop up to Times Square. Through that station to the Shuttle to grand Central (East Side). Through Grand Central to the 4/5 uptown to 86th Street and Lexington. Up and down twelve flights between the three trains and ONE only ONE person offered to help. And forget the elevators. Apparently people use these as urinals. So a stroller on a pee filled elevator was not going to happen. Once at 86th I had to walk to 82nd Street and East End Avenue-a bit of a hike. Then my heel broke. (I break more heels in NYC than anyone I know). So it was off to Bloomingdale's (this time in a cab from my parents' to 59th Street) and the sticker shock of every pair of shoes over $150. (I did score a great pair reduced all the way to $40)! Just another day in NYC!
It was so nice seeing everyone and Preston loved being spoiled. We had a wonderful Italian dinner at Tony's and saw the tree. I must say it was not the biggest nor the most robust tree that has ever stood in Rock Center, but it was nice. I will leave you with some pictures. It was so darn crowded I could not even move into St. Patrick's Cathedral. Here are some pics:
Loving Spencer from Aunt Tinka and Uncle Steve one of the many gifts he got from his generous aunts and uncles!
Preston and his cousin Nicole (Charlie's stepdaughter) at dinner in Long Island.
The big tree-and some dude yawning-another picking his ear-gross!
The angels-to get a good shot now you have to pay Rockefeller Center for their picture. Of course you do.
You can see St. Patrick's in the top of the picture-the steeple anyway.
Here is where the NBC Studios are. The studios for 30 Rock are also here.
This is about as good as it gets without having to pay for the picture.
How awesome is the Cartier store? You could not get near it since their windows were their jewels coming out of boxes!
Preston on Jet Blue from JFK to Richmond! Happy New Year everyone! May all your dreams and wishes come true and I wish everyone health, happiness and success in the New Year!

13 comments:

The Johnson Family 5 said...

I'm glad you are back..you were missed ;) It's always nice when you realize that home is where your family is. I learned that leaving California. I will always miss it, but it's nice to come home to Texas. Love the last pic of Preston with the thumb up!

Jaime said...

It looks and sounds like you and Preston had a wonderful time visiting New York. I'm so happy for you and all your hopes for the upcoming year. I wish you only the best!

Unknown said...

2009 will be a great year to all. I can feel it. If and when I ever get to NY I will make sure that you are one of the first people to contact even though you are in VA. I'll need a native to naviagte me around. That was tiring just reading what you had to do to get to a final destination!

Renay said...

Love the post...I do still keep up even thoug I'm such a slacker at commenting. So glad you are a happy VA'er now. Preston is cute as ever. I can't imagine the NY lifestyle-I'm so sheltered in Laf, IN (and happy).

Happy New Year's to you Kim! I pray 2009 brings you all you hope for and more!

Unknown said...

And all through that chaotic journey from Penn Station to the Upper East Side, Preston was probably having the time of his life!! The things we do for our kids :-) What a great trip back to your hometown. Awesome score on the shoes! Preston looks like a fantastic little plane traveler, and I LOVE his racecar vest! Wishing you guys all the best in 2009...it's sure to be an adventure!

Sarah said...

I loved your post. I'm so happy you are happy and that you and Preston are going to have a great life together in Virginia. And I hope all of your dreams and wishes come true in the new year. Even though I've never met you in person I can tell you are a great mom and do so much for Preston, so I'm glad you will also take some well deserved time for yourself. I love seeing pics of Preston and reading your post. I can't wait to see what 09 has to bring for the two of you! Happy New Year Kim and Preston!

Greene Family said...

It looks like you guys had a fun trip to NY - great photos! I'm so happy for you that VA is now home to you! I wish you and Preston all the best in 2009!!

Destini said...

VA is definitely a better place to raise a child - can't imagine hiking all the time from the house to the car! You are such a saint to do the trek all over the city so that Preston could ride the subway! Happy New Year - and go get a pedicure!

mejane said...

I've visited NYC twice and loved it! There really is something special about that city. Couldn't imagine living there though. The subway is fun but way confusing. Reading about your adventure back to the apartment with Preston was like a foreign language to me.
I only wish the best for you and Preston during the upcoming year. You are an awesome mom so don't feel one bit of guilt during your "Kim time."

Lisa said...

Love your post and glad that you've found home. I think having more "Kim time" is huge. Sounds like you've got lots of goals and fun ideas running through your head for 2009. Yay!

Tiffany said...

OK, so reading that made me so grateful that I live in my little ole' Idaho where everything just moves soooo slow. I cry because I have to walk three yards to my car in snow, but wow you are a trooper! Your pics are adorable and isn't NYC just so amazing at Christmas time! I love it there (visiting of course).

Anonymous said...

LOL You and I think alike! I hadn't read this until after I wrote about my "me" time resolution this year. And you need to start thinking about your happiness, it would be unfair not too. You're a great mom with a sharp mind. And congrats on the job! Mom told me about it because I think you forgot too. Yay Kim! I knew things would get better in VA! Though I still miss you a lot and I'm looking forward to coming down there in like seven days!

Caden and Mommy said...

Kim!
Now you have me terrified for New York - how the heck are we going to get around during the conference?! I'm lost already! I can see it now, I will end up on a subway heading the way wrong direction!
I'm glad you feel like Virginia is home now - such a great feeling! Best wishes for 2009!
Trisha