Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Nana Was Here

We have been getting a lot of visitors this month. My grandmother who Preston calls Nana came for four days this past weekend. We had a really nice time, took a trip to Williamsburg and went to the Yankee Candle warehouse. Preston had a blast at the Christmas village. The Yankee Candle warehouse is about one and a half NYC city blocks. In the words of my future brother-in-law when he pulled up with Katie there last year was, "Oh...wow...we are going to be here for a long time." The store is so big that when I asked for tea lights last time I was there and they stated that they were out, Steve was dumbfounded. He turned to me and said, "Isn't this the warehouse? They like make candles here? How do they run out?" Anyway, Preston even saw Santa Claus. Here are some pictures from the weekend or I think Mel may commit murder.

Preston had a serious infatuation with the Thomas table....wonder what he'll be asking for this year!

On another note, Preston has a cold. I finally received his medical records from his prior pediatrician and decided to drive to the new doctor, (the new new one-already I got annoyed with the one I originally wanted), drop off the records and take him next door to Quick Care since his chart would not be ready. Here is the conversation between myself and this office.

Lady: Good morning.

Me: Good morning. My son has a little cold and I'd like to have someone listen to his chest...(and before she could cut me off)-but I know he is not fully "charted" here yet so I am dropping off his records and I will go to Quick Care this morning.


Lady: Well he needs a new patient visit.


Me: Bewildered A what?


Lady: A new patient visit. Sort of like an interview with the doctor.


Me: Shouldn't I want to do the interview? (I am also thinking-could he fail, not be accepted as a good enough possible pediatric patient? Is there training for this to ensure that he is accepted? I must buy a new outfit for the occasion)...


Lady: Well each new patient has to have an interview with the doctor. Which doctor do you want?


Me: I really do not care. (Me thinking I guess someone proficient in giving immunizations and writing out prescriptions for any sort of illness. I mean I am 99% sure this person will more than likely be completely inept in achon and measuring and the like so whatev).


Lady: Ok well what is your insurance?


Me: Cigna PPO.


Lady: Ok so this interview lasts about 30 minutes.


Me: Really what is the point of this new patient visit?


Lady: Astonished Well to go over a complete medical history.


Me: Looking down at the half inch thick manila envelope containing Preston's entire medical history. Well can't the doctor just read this? Medical history-right here. Can't you just make a chart and I'll call you if he gets sick?


Lady: No.


Me: Ok can I get a Saturday morning new patient interview?


Lady: No. That is not an option. New patients are not allowed to be seen on Saturdays.


Me: Ok then...when can they be seen?


Lady: Tuesday at 9 or 2.


Me: Yeah....see that's not going to work because I work 30 minutes from here and I am certainly not taking a day off for a visit that to me is completely unnecessary and if you want this so bad shouldn't my convenience matter? I mean I am not trying to be a pain, but I mean really. 9 or 2 on a Tuesday?


Lady: looking at me I don't know what to tell you.


Me: really trying very hard not to lose it. Can I speak to a doctor because we are honestly not going to get anywhere.


Nurse: Can I help you?


Me: Aggravated at having to repeat the dilemma.


Nurse: I have 8:30 next week.


Me: Fine. Two minutes ago you only had 9 and 2 and new patients were not allowed near the vicinity of the building before 9.


Nurse: The appointment though is at the other location.


Me: Naturally.


AHHHHHHHH!!!!!! What the hell is a new patient interview? I am also refusing a co-payment for this. Th doctor can eat the expenses of that one. Preston ended up with no chest problems, just a little cold and we were on our way with some decongestant/antihistamine.


19 comments:

The Johnson Family 5 said...

Cole has a nasty cold too! We ended up with a decongestant and were sent on our way. That is crazy that they want to interview YOU!! Oh, hell no would they be getting a co-pay from me either! lol Hope Preston is feeling better...this is Cole's 1st cold and I can't stand it when he doesn't feel well...my poor baby!

Danielle said...

I love that you have to interview with the Dr...that's hysterical. I'm glad to hear it's just a cold though. The pictures are too cute as always...makes me wish I had a boy. Girls just aren't into thomas the same way (at least mine aren't!)

Tonya said...

Don't you LOVE the interview process that never REALLY occurs because everyone else has already interviewed you! AGH!

Glad Preston is okay, sniffles to him.

Thomas is a hit around here too!!

Jennifer said...

What is up with little boys and Thomas the Train??!!! It almost seems like a right of passage of some sort. I honestly have never heard of a 3-5 yr old boy who wasn't fascinated with Thomas! I guess I better get prepared. And I LOOOOVE little boys in their jammies. What could possibly be cuter. I have to stop myself from buying Owen every single pair of jammies ever made because he just looks so doggone cute in them...just like Preston. :)

Mandy said...

I am so glad that you stood up to the receptionist. It is like the Dr doesn't want to take the time to do his job. He has to read the documents anyway. Why do you have to have an interview? Are you going to be denied services?

Anonymous said...

They do the new patient thing in Texas too! I feel your pain!

Mike Mallinson said...

Speaking as a former one myself, little boys have always and will always love trains - just when I was a little boy they didn't have faces and names like Thomas! I love the idea, but hate the reality because anything with the Thomas label on it is guaranteed to cost three times as much as any other mass-produced wooden train which is compatible with the Thomas/Brio railways, and at least 50% more than anything handcrafted by wizened artisans! It's just nuts! Unfortunately, little boys are just as brand-obsessed with their toys at 4 as my wife is with bags at thirt... twenty nine (man, I hope she's not reading this) so I end up having to spend way too much money on trains!

Anyway, stupid doctor's office, cute pictures, yada yada yada... LOL

Becky said...

Kim you seriously crack me up! You have a knack for writing! I am glad to hear that Preston doesn't have anything more serious than a cold. Good luck with the interview, and with teaching the new doctor about achon, which you will undoubtedly have to do! Very cute pictures! Where do you find all of his totally adorable clothes?

Destini said...

Have you ever seen the Seinfeld episode where Elaine is trying to steal her medical chart and change doctors because her chart read "problem patient"??? You do know that Preston's now read "problem mother"! I would have told the lady to go to hell and found a new pediatrician - like you said, you just need the antibiotics and albuterol a few times a year from him anyway! Love Preston's preppy look! BTW, Trace is already asking for the Imaginext Spike the Ultra Dinosaur or whatever it is called - it is on display at Target and is pretty cool!

mejane said...

That Preston sure is cute! Looks like Nana thinks so too. What a cute pic of the two of them on the stairs.

I had to wait almost 3 months for Jake's "new patient interview." I thought they only did this at dental offices! They should re-name these "interviews" because it really does sound like you're "trying out" for a role as patient. They're just medical reviews people! Call it what it is and don't make us wait! I feel your frustration Kim.
Anyway, I've added you to my blog list. Hope you don't mind. :)
Jane

Caden and Mommy said...

Kim!
The Yankee Candle warehouse - fun! As far as the doctor goes ... I've never heard of such a thing?! And yes, it is a joke because you will be the one educating them! Very cute pictures - love the one of him in his jammies and slippers :0)
Trisha

Unknown said...

Hahaha...interview! Do you need to bring Preston's resume? What would it say for Experience? "Has successfully fulfilled the role of pediatric patient for the previous 2.5 years, always on time for appointments, generally healthy with the occasional bout of the sniffles." Doctors are too funny! Poor Kim! Hope it goes well :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the photos. I know I am demanding! Iwould have punched that woman in the doctor office. glad to know the little man only has a cold
xoxo
Mel
ps- FA

Anonymous said...

That really is a funny dialogue. It's totally like the one Matt and you experienced in Indiana at the hotel. Ridiculous.

And thank you for my good luck pig! I have him sitting on top of my printer at The Surge. I think I will call him Piggs. (the double "g" makes him cool)

And the candle scents are yummy! Daniela's tarts have been sitting on her desk all night so our room smells super nice! She's going to be so excited when she sees the sack of them today!

Anonymous said...

Kim,
You crack me up. Sorry to hear that Preston is sick. Parker is too, and I'm wondering if it is allergies or something.
Also, I think you are going to need more than 30 minutes to go over Preston's "complete medical history." :-) My main reason for not moving is that I don't want to find another pediatrician.

Anonymous said...

OMG... I would have killed those people... I mean seriously... an interview??? Get over it Virgina!!

Miss you and the lil man

Greene Family said...

Love the picture of Preston in his jammies - always so cute!
Interview - that's crazy, and I'm glad that you let them know that it's crazy! You're dialogue is hilarious. I hope Preston is feeling better soon! Unfortunately, it seems to be that time of year already - Simon had a stomach bug the last few days too.

Anonymous said...

I think that it's important that we take each holiday as it comes chronlogically. The next logical holiday would be Halloween. The decorations should be reflected of the holidays. There should be no Santa or x-mas talk until maybe after Thanksgiving and a few pumpkin shots.

Sincerly,

Disgrunted reader

Catherine Merciez Wright said...

Hilarious that the first thing you would think of is to get Preston a new outfit. Kim, one thing you may be overlooking...what if the ped is a cute single doc?? That would mean a new outfit for you too. Even if he turns out to be a crusty old fart, hey - new outfit!
Last night, my mother was like "How do we get Kim and Preston to come to Michigan?" Hmmm...I'm wondering the same thing. I can see it already. We'd just sit there and crack each other up while our perfect angels would be the image of cuteness! Let's do it...