Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father’s Day

Father’s Day.  Every year I say the same thing.  It’s a bittersweet day for me. I am so grateful that my father can also be the man my son looks up to and aspires to be.  Considering his real father might as well be in Dubai (where he once thought he was selling real estate) , I am so blessed that my father has taken such an active role in Preston’s life. My heart aches for how he will feel when he grows up, asks questions, wants to know why another child is more important (my guess is room and board), why he’s not worth supporting. I also then think though he doesn’t seem to ask many questions now.  He’s so well adjusted, intelligent and amazing. I will say, I did feel compelled to help myself to a donut at Donuts for Dads at school on Friday!

Preston brought home a poem from school and some coupons.  We rewrote the poem and replaced “Dad” with “PaPa” and made the coupons specific to things they will do together. (i.e. play baseball in the backyard, go to Lowe’s, wash the car and clean the garage).  Preston while decorating the poem with stickers told me that PaPa will bring the poem into his office and all the nurses will ask, “Did Preston make that?” and then Papa will say., “Yes.” and the nurses will say, “Wow, that is so nice of Preston.”  I couldn't stop laughing. Here is the poem:

“Walk a little slower PaPa".” said a child so small.

“I’m following your footsteps and I don’t want to fall.

Sometimes your steps are very fast,

Sometimes they’re hard to see;

So walk a little slower PaPa

For you are leading me.

Someday when I’m all grown up,

You’re what I want to be;

Then I will have a little child

Who’ll want to follow me.

And I would want to lead just right,

And know that I was true;

So walk a little slower PaPa,

For I must follow you!

Thank you dad for being so wonderful.  I love you. 

We got my dad some new lounging pjs for porch and took him out for breakfast. Now we are relaxing before preparing his favorite dinner-roast beef!

IMG_7362

IMG_7367

IMG_7368

Some pics of myself and the dude! Don’t know how well you can see the jewelry in the picture but my mother bought me this set (necklace, earrings and bracelet) after yet another court date with Matt a few weeks back. It’s been quite a five years.  I just love the set so much!

IMG_7375

IMG_7378

I just have to share a few pics from the past week.  Last weekend we headed down to Williamsburg with my mom and Kelly.  Once again a pure photo opportunity appeared for my mother and Preston obliged…of course.

IMG_7339

That morning Preston was being ornery and told me how he wasn’t going to listen to anybody in kindergarten.  I told him that was fine, but Santa would be watching by that point and just won’t bring any gifts.  About a minute later he was crying and telling me, “But if Santa doesn’t bring me anything, I’ll just be so SAD!” (Dramatic… slightly. I’m pretty sure he won’t be skipping the house any time soon).  In any event, how cool that at Yankee Candle, it’s Christmas all year round, so Pres got to sit on Santa’s lap, add his name to the official “good” list and promised to see him in December.  I also thought it was cool Santa sports summer gear including red crocs…which coincidentally (or not really) were the color crocs he picked out at the outlets later that day.

IMG_7345

Preston’s class also sang for a nursing home this week.  Look how handsome:

IMG_7352

Hope everyone has a great week!

IMG_7348

15 comments:

Babs said...

What can I say but Preston has the best man to emulate--PaPa is such a wonderful, intelligent and caring man and he absolutely adores our baby monkey! We are blessed to have such a special little man in our lives. Preston is the true winner -- everyone who encounters him whether at school, a store, the pool always remarks on how handsome, smart, well-mannered he is --need I go on ---Kim you have been a great mom & dad--Happy Father's Day PaPa & Kim--I love and adore all of you--

Ever Changing said...

I love the poem alterations! How cute is that?!
Oh, and I would've taken a donut or two! Preston is getting so cute and big!!! Love all the new photos!!!

Erin said...

Kim, I understand how you feel about Father's Day. And I can tell you that even with Molly being 13 now, she asks surprisingly few questions about her "sperm contributor." I think it's because Molly knows that I love her, and she's a well-adjusted kid. As long as Preston has you and your parents and family, he doesn't need anyone else, let alone some dead beat POS scum. I don't think it will occur to Preston that he's not "wanted" because of how wanted he IS by everyone else.

Danielle said...

Great post :) Preston is an awesome kid with an awesome mom, as well as family that loves him dearly and that is all that matters :)

Lyla Our Little Miracle said...

Who needs a father with a mother like you! That's all I have to say! Oh and go.......PaPa.....you rock!

Kasia and Amelia said...

Great post Kim! You are so blessed having such a wonderful PaPa, a true idol for Pres!!! We all have questions in life, about our mothers, fathers about life but the confidence that Preston has and will continue to have will help him get through them without questioning his worthiness at the same time. HE gets so much love from you and family and friends that he will never feel a shortage of it!!! Hugs!

Katie Jaye said...

Kim, this brought tears to my eyes. And Preston is right, bossdad will totally show off the poem here at the Surge and the nurses will love it! he looks so happy and proud of himself in the pictures with PaPa. He is just precious!

Besides your words being very funny in this post, I love the Thinker picture. Preston's face is so serious! He's a natural actor!

Hope you guys had a very nice weekend! Love you!

mel said...

He is so lucky to have you, and your dad in his life. Donating sperm doesnt make you a dad. NOr does a grilled cheese every few months. I could go on here but I stop now and focus on the important parts! Look at how pres looks at your dad shows you that preston isnt missing ANYTHING!Hes one lucky little dude thats for sure!

Yiannakis Family said...

You are raising a totally AMAZING boy! That's because of you, your family and the people you surround Preston with! Take pride in yourself and all you have done for Preston. As a mom I have to take my own advice too and remind myself of all the things my boys have and not the ones they don't. Much love to you and Preston on your special Father's Day. Hope that donut was the best you've ever eaten!! XOXO

Greene Family said...

Happy Father's Day to your Dad, and to you as a single mom taking on both roles!! You are raising such an amazing boy, Kim!! He is so loved and adored; and he is so smart, has such great confidence, and the best personality! That is all proof of the positive love and support in his life!
I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't ask too many questions as he gets older as he'll know that his father is the one missing out on all of the awesomeness that is Preston. My father has never much been in my life, but thankfully I have an amazing mom, stepdad, and grandparents.
Love the poem and coupons, and Pres is too cute with telling you how the conversation would go when PaPa took his poem to work! Love him!!
Adorable pictures, as always! The pictures with his PaPa are so sweet, and love the pictures of the two of you (fabulous jewelry)!
How cool to talk with Santa in June! We might have to go there in July as Simon has really picked up the questioning of how much longer until Christmas and all of the lights and reindeer and all the last few weeks.
Hope you enjoyed the much deserved donut! :) Hugs!! Can't wait to see you guys!!

Amber said...

Okay, first of all...Pres is so dern cute!!!! He cracks me up because...don't tell him, but I think he KNOWS how cute he is and he struts his stuff!! LOL!!!

Secondly, about the bio dad thing-been there done that. Your son is loved incredibly. Answers will come easy when he's older if the questions are even asked. But our Jesus and you and your amazing family have him covered in love and I think this precious boy will never want for anything more! He's blessed beyond measure-as much as he is a blessing!

Third, I love the butterfly jewelry set. Butterflies are a symbol of New Life. You and Pres have an amazing journey ahead...and I don't discount the idea of ...ah-hem...a worthy gentlemen caller :) HA HA HA But seriously, I doubt it very much that there aren't men who would fall all over each other to try and get to your hand first. You and Pres being a packaged deal, it's just too good to pass up for the right man! Hang in there, love still exists!

Hugs
AmberK

Kristie said...

Okay, can the dude get any cuter!! Happy Fathers Day to your dad and to you for taking on the role as both parents!!! You are an amazing mom!!!

Unknown said...

You seriously write some of the best posts! Love the poem. Pres is such a lucky guy to have a PaPa that just cares the world for him. You are an inspirational mom! Hugs!

Unknown said...

Preston is one lucky guy to have such an awesome PaPa. And I'm sure it just fills PaPa's heart with joy to be able to fill that spot in Preston's life! The two of them are best buddies and will have a lifetime of fun memories together! Happy Father's Day to PaPa and to you also Kim, for the amazing job you do!

Caden and Mommy said...

I love you ... and I love the jabs you get in on your blog. You keep me chuckling. Real Estate in Dubai?Really? That's a good one!
Adorable pictures of you and Preston. I love the one of him posing with the statue. So silly.
Totally sounds like Caden and deciding he's not going to listen to anyone at school and the drama. Oh me oh my. Two peas in a pod. Good thing you guys saw Santa, hopefully that will keep him in line for at least a month!