Sunday, September 11, 2011

Never Forget and New Steps

Ten years ago today was the saddest day in American history.  A friend put on Facebook that the hardest thing is trying to explain to your children why that day took place.  How do you explain in incomprehensible? The senseless?  The tragedy?  How do I explain it, when even I, ten years later cannot even scratch the surface of understanding.  I cannot watch a memorial without crying.  I don’t remember much ten years ago that vividly.  I can remember every moment of that day.  Every.Single. Moment.  And now trying to teach my son that there are horrible people in this world, that there are things mommy cannot answer.  That there are no answers.  Just try to quell his five year old fears that we will be ok, even though I don’t know if we will.  We will never forget.  We will always remember.  God Bless America.  God Bless all those lost.  God Bless the Vianna family today and always.  

wtc-2004-memorial-550x412

Because of the heightened terror threat, my travel time would have been much longer and with Preston who had just started kindergarten, it just sadly meant we stayed home this weekend.  I sadly missed Mel’s Bachelorette party.  I know she had an amazing day and I was heartbroken to miss.

The new steps this week was Preston starting kindergarten.  We are slowly getting into a routine of being up at 5:30 (me) and 6:00 (him-or then 6:15 or my 6:30 with me dragging him out of bed).  Soccer started and the first game is next weekend.  Last week we got up to date on all the immunizations that he would have had to get by age 6 anyway and then it was off to orientation!

IMG_7853

IMG_7854

The night before his first day, grandma and PaPa took him out to Fleming’s steakhouse for dinner.  The chef made Pres his own celebratory cake!

IMG_7938

Tuesday was a miserable rainy day. Totally stinky for back to school.  Preston was so excited.  Here he is before leaving and then getting breakfast at Minnieland before departing to the “big bus.”

IMG_7940

IMG_7945

IMG_7950

IMG_7957

And yes…I followed the bus to school.  In tears.

IMG_7962

And clearly kindergarten is knocking this little dude out!

IMG_7963

But not out enough to spend yesterday in the fountains with his friend Ivy!

IMG_7965

Hope everyone’s back to school was a success!  Here’s to a wonderful school year!

7 comments:

Mike Mallinson said...

I still can't believe how much he's grown up over the years! Don't know why it's so hard to accept when Caitlin is doing the same thing to us :-( Of course you followed the bus - we did the same thing for Evan's first two days of kinder - we walked him in in the morning, but he got picked up for an after-school care program after kinder got out at noon... we were so nervous about that!!

Barbara said...

Best of luck to my favorite little man--you will do fabulously in kindergarten--you are such a smart and wise little boy beyond your years--i love ypu Pres Pres. As for today 9/11/11--my heart breaks over and over again--Daddy & I cut our time in NYC early because seeing our beloved city in a police state is so horribly sad--God Bless all who lost their lives on that tragic day--and God watch over their families and give them continued strength.

Lyla Our Little Miracle said...

Congrats on starting kindergarten Preston! I know you will have a fabulous year! Xoxo

Anonymous said...

Kim I love that picture of him with the umbrella. I can tell already that he loves school though it is wiping him out! :)

Danette

Kristie said...

Your comments on 911 are right on. My oldest Taylor was only a baby when the attacks happen. Last week her teacher talk about the attacks and what it means to America she had alot of questions and like you I still do. It is so hard to explain it to them without scaring them and them knowing that we will always protect them as mothers.

Now on to the cutest little dude, love the pictures of the first day of school. The picture of Preston sleeping is priceless!!!

Unknown said...

It looks as though kindergarten is off to a great start! Seamus and Pres both rocked the same Spider-Man umbrella on the first day of school. I could not believe the rain! I'm so sorry that you had to miss out on Mel's bachelorette...I know that had to be a very difficult decision for you to make. I'm sure she felt your love with her from miles away. Congrats Preston, I know it will be a wonderful school year!

Alex said...

glad he had a good day, even though it is so hard for us!!! Such a bitter sweet feeling to send them off to school!!!