Monday, September 5, 2011

It’s the Most Horrible Time of the Year

There is a four letter “f” word that I cringe every time I hear.  Fall.  I hate that today is Labor Day.  And every media outlet tells you how it’s the “unofficial end of summer.” GRRRR.  I feel that summer gets such a bad rap.  Everyone loves fall, then the holidays get everyone's mind off how it is MISERABLY cold outside and then spring is the rebirth and the blooms.  But poor summer kind of gets kicked in the corner.  Everyone gets excited about it for it and then it gets HOT because let’s think…it’s summer and by June 25th everyone is looking forward to fall. Maybe not everyone.  I like to think there are a few who stand with me in the love for summer.  Ok it’s not that I hate fall. I mean clearly there are some positives, the NFL, the Yankees in the post season,  the fall TV lineup, pumpkin coffee from Dunkin.  I just know what is coming.  The bare trees, dead grass, cold weather, night comes at 4:30, I go back to being as pale as Casper. There is SNOW!  What is appealing about that? I already have decided it’s Arizona for retirement. I hate coats.  I don’t like wearing gloves.  I also am bitter that the pool closed and it’s still hot in Virginia until November. So I plod through.  And I think thoughts of Mid March. 

This weekend we went to Maryland for Jaxson and Jude’s Pirate Birthday party.  The night before we went to Paula’s for a sleepover.  Jason made Preston’s weekend by taking the boys to the fire house to climb all over the trucks.  Thank you Jason.  You’re a good sport.  Three boys out of the house so Paula and I could catch up and relax!  Preston LOVED spending time with Jax and Peyton. The pirate party was amazing.  I truly cannot think of a better time for boys.  I was super impressed with the fact they all get dressed up and how the entire ride is based around a treasure hunt.  So cute.  Here are some pics! Pres got VERY into being a pirate “ARGH.” Also in case you were wondering, pirates are also Yankee fans.

IMG_7865

IMG_7869

IMG_7873

 IMG_7875

IMG_7885

IMG_7911

IMG_7913

After the boat ride we went to Quiet Waters Park for a bbq and cake. it was so great seeing everyone again. I love our Mid Atlantic crew! It was such a fun filled day that Pres fell asleep after two minutes in the car and stayed asleep until I opened my garage. 

Yesterday we went to the end of summer pool party at the pool and spent from 10:30 through 5:30 at the pool.  There was a DJ and a bubble machine.  Seriously I am thinking of purchasing one for my driveway.  It kept him and the other kids busy for HOURS.  We had one heck of a fun summer at the pool.  Met a lot of great friends, caught up with others and Preston started to learn how to swim.  Until next year……

IMG_7920

Our Labor Day self portrait!

IMG_7927

Next up-KINDERGARTEN tomorrow!!!

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Best wishes for a great first day of Kindergarten!
Good luck to you, too!

Barbara said...

So happy that Pres had a wonderful summer and it closed with an awesome pirate party--how lucky for him--we all know that Pres will do awesome in kindergarten he is such a smart young man--love and adore you Pres---a note to anonymous (Debbie) you can read my post and Mel's, answering your absolutely disgraceful comment to my wonderful, hard-working daughter who LOVES and supports Preston from the day Matt walked out on his son--you get the facts straight and i wanted to also say that Kim did want him to have a realtionship with his sister along with Preston--if you forgot the blog it was "introducing Preston Raab"--stop belittling Kim at every turn and try to put Preston first--tell that to Matt--his love & concern for Preston is truly overwhelming--i cannot stand when i am away from Preston for a day

AmberK said...

Kim...I must've missed something, girl. But if someone's knocking you-just let it go and know the truth. It just can't be any other way. YOU know you're a great Momma and YOU know Pres is one blessed and happy boy. And YOU know he is loved beyond measure.
Anyone knocking that doesn't have Pres' best interest at heart so they can't matter.

HUGS to one heck of a mom and son team!!
Amber

Kerri said...

oh man, what a fun party. Pres looks good in all his pictures, what a happy kid!!

The Wymers said...

I was totally cracking up at your fall rant. I think you should come visit us in, say, January... wind chills in the negative teens to twenties (or even colder), white as far as the eye can see, I think you'd really like it! ;P

Loved the pics from Jax's party, it looks like the boys had a great time!

The picture of Pres in his boardshorts covered in bubbles is just too freaking adorable, as well.