Sunday, January 17, 2010

Yes, I Wore Flip Flops

A bit premature, but due to the ARCTIC winter we have had here and you all know my feelings about the cold.  I mean I was one phone call away from booking the retirement community spot in Arizona.  So when the temperature climbed to near 60 yesterday and Preston wanted to get out and about, I tossed the socks and flats and put on my flip flips.  It felt heavenly.  Thank goodness the pedicure was up to date!  Preston is recovering well, he had a few nights where he was getting up with a dry throat, but instead of taking water he just cried his head off, making the throat more hoarse but I guess producing enough saliva to help coat the throat.  He would also do this “pain dance” and jump around his bed quite maniacal and would refuse to utter a word, just scream. It would actually have been comical if it wasn’t so annoying and sad at the same time.  I mean if he just took the water he would have been fine. His breath is also finally starting to smell less like a sewer and more like he just forgot to brush.  For a few days there I would dry heave if he breathed near me. 

I am so proud of Preston on his bike.  His stamina is amazing and he rode to the playground and back yesterday which is a good half a mile.  I grab the handlebars when he is going downhill and gave him a few pushes uphill.  He still needs to watch the sidewalk as he has a tendency to want to see all that is going on around him (Hummmm wonder where he got the nosiness from)?  First yesterday I had to hit DSW since I had a $20 coupon.  I got three pairs of pretty awesome shoes for $45!  One was only $9! SCORE!

IMG_2445

Here are some pics from our afternoon.

IMG_2451

IMG_2458

IMG_2468

IMG_2482

We are also starting to graduate to the big boy swing.  It is hard to teach the concept of “pumping” your legs, but I hope to have him swinging on that swing during the summer!

This morning it was pouring outside so before football kicked off we made some brownies.  Think my child has a sweet tooth?

IMG_2491

Then we played with the new Play Doh set he got from his teacher Ms. Kim for his birthday.  It was so cool! I recommend this set!  There is a whole burger making station and then a crank to make crinkle cut fries.  And I tried hard not to hyperventilate when he tried mixing the colors (Right Destini?) 

IMG_2497

Now off to make some pigs in a blanket for football!

12 comments:

Destini said...

Yay, flip flops...I can't wait until I get to FL so I can wear mine!!! Awesome job on the bike riding, I'm really hoping Trace will be able to pedal after the leg surgery... Glad Pres is feeling better and his breath isn't as stinky! And playdoh...it'll be okay, it's only like $7 for like a 24 pack to replace it when it gets smushed together...then only give him one can at a time ;)

Laura Wolf said...

What a nice time you two had. I understand the wanting him to learn to swing. I get so tired pushing all the time. I wonder if little legs will be as affective?? Nate also has a big sweet tooth. He loves suckers, chocolate(like mom) and COOKIES!! I've caught him several times pushing the chair to the countertop to get to the cookies. Such determination! Hope you get to do some more bike riding soon. Loved the pics and the play-doh meal!!

Unknown said...

Flip flops...serious??? Wow! That is amazing! I'm glad it's warming up for you guys and getting back to typical VA weather. Devon and I were just talking about the bike situation...Seamus has still not mastered the bike and we are blaming it on the fact that he can't ride outside for half the year! We will really have to practice that when spring arrives. Hope you and Pres had an awesome football day, we had one here today as well!

Kasia and Amelia said...

Oh, I am so jealous about the flip flops! I hate this winter apparel ! Although we had nice warm Friday and Saturday as well. Brownie making sounds like fun, and so yummy! Preston is so handsome and getting more handsome every day! And bike rides are so good! Ollie is also crazy about his bike and nobody believes that I he takes it out of the garage and rides even in the winter!

Unknown said...

Flip flops!!! Even I'm not in flip flops and we're not in the 60's. Glad to see Pres out and about. Kids really amaze me how quickly they bounce back after surgery. $9 pair of shoes....I love a good deal...sweet! I still have yet to get Aidan on the big boy swing....hopefully before Kindergarten.

Melissa Swartley said...

Flip Flops!!! I am totally jealous and you know all of your NY family is too!!! It's freakin' freezing up here! So glad that your cutie is starting to feel a little bit better! Love, love, love the pictures, especially the last one! He is a ham for the camera isn't he?!

Rosie said...

Flip flops are my favorite... I can wear them anytime. looks like you two had a great time together and Preston is doing well.. So glad to hear that.. Getting ready for Destiny T&A on feb. 1

Anthea said...

Oh God Pres is just gorgeous! Glad he is feeling a bit better and hope you can give him big kisses again soon!

As for the weather....crazy! Today I am in tracky dacks and a jumper. It was 40 plus degrees here last week and we were all dying in the heat...this week it is near freezing - what the heck is going on?????? Hugs.

Greene Family said...

Yay for flip flop weather! We had a Franciscan priest that taught us Calculus in college that always wore sandals - even in the mounds and mounds of snow that we had in the winter! I used to worry about his feet freezing and would hope that the weather would warm up for him! :)
Wow - way to go on your bike, Preston!! Good luck with the big boy swing! I'm so glad that he is doing so well after his surgery!
Love the pictures!! Preston is such the handsome dude! Love that he has a sweet tooth too! I know where Simon gets his sweet tooth, and I'm sure Jude will have one as well given how much I loved sweets when I was pregnant with him!
What a great weekend!

Mel said...

I am so proud of pres on his bike!! You should have called his loser dad to tell him- oh wait- you cant- the phone no longer accepts incoming calls. my bad

The Wymers said...

Squeeze in as much flip-flop time as you can for me! I think I'm at least 5 months away from it! :o)

Love the pics of Pres on his bike, looks like he's totally getting the hang of it! Pretty soon he'll be wanting to go on hourly bike rides like Nikki does (she's already waiting for the "sun to make the snow go away" so she can ride her bike on the sidewalk again!), and you'll have to get a bike to go along too! :o) Fun, fun, stuff!

And, I totally hear you on the play doh, the color mixing totally drives me up the wall. Grin and bear it, and, like Destini said, at least it's cheap to replace! :o)

Caden and Mommy said...

I'm SO behind in blog land ... life has been a little toooo busy lately! But I am happy to announce that Caden can say "Preston". Whether or not he chooses to say it in July, we will wait and see!
I'm so behind in blog's that you have went from flip flops to snow boots, seems a little backwards :0) I think you guys are getting all of our snow because we have not had nearly as much as usual, and I am perfectly fine with that!
Preston is so cute on his bike - what a superstar. Before you know it he will be going off jumps - yikes! and what a big boy on the swing.
I hear ya on the mixing of the colors!