Sunday, October 11, 2009

A Weekend of Fun with a Chance of Meatballs

What a weekend.  My family was out in San Diego because my cousin Sarah was getting married.  I am bummed that I missed it, but since Preston’s behavior at his own aunt’s wedding was pretty deplorable, there was nothing appealing about a day each way traveling with him on a plane.  So we had another fun filled weekend on our own.  Friday, to celebrate my new job offer and the fact that the child support hearing went fabulously in my favor, I took Preston to McDonalds.  Of course there was one hitch-the toy in the Happy Meal was not the one he wanted.  The bat was not as cool as the dragon with two heads so there was a slight meltdown.  There should be one girl toy, one boy toy, because that piece of s#$% five cent plastic toy causes a lot of problems.  You did not see me carrying on in McDonalds because my large fry did not carry the Reading Railroad Monopoly piece so I could win $500 did you? 

Saturday we went for a walk with the neighborhood kids and then it was off to Preston’s first movie theater experience to see Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.   He was extremely excited.  The only hitch was the seats in the theater need at least 45 pounds to keep them from folding back up so I had to put my pocketbook on the back of the seat.  Lucky for Preston my backpack is about 15 pounds because I carry everything in it.  He made it through the previews (which I am happy about because now he is excited to see Where the Wild Things Are) and then conked out ten minutes into the movie.  I woke him up about 35 minutes later and he watched the rest. After the movie we met up with Sam, Jordana and Baby Maddy for dinner. 

IMG_0481

Today we woke up and had breakfast together, then went grocery shopping, then had lunch together.  We also made Halloween cupcakes together with Preston doing the majority of the work!

IMG_0498

Hey it fits!  Maybe a new fall fashion!

IMG_0500

Tasting the batter-which he was allowed just for one beater since there is raw egg!

IMG_0501

With the cake decorations.  He picked sugared bats and spooky eyes!

IMG_0503

And every good baker needs to try out his goodies!

Last but not least here is a picture of Preston with his Halloween card from Aunt Tinka and Uncle Steve…with a little monetary surprise inside!

IMG_0449

22 comments:

mejane said...

Oh I wish you could've flown out to San Diego! I know what you mean about flying across the country though. Hope your parents had a great time...it's been gorgeous lately.
Your comment about the crappy McDonalds toys made me crack up. I totally know what you are talking about. I now avoid it all and just order off the dollar menu.

I can't believe how much Preston has changed over the past year. Not a toddler, like when I first "met" him. He is growing into such a handsome young boy. I love the picture of him with the bowl on his head.

Alex said...

Sam loved Cloudy with a chance of meatballs. :) I love how the bag of popcorn is almost as big as Preston!
The cupcakes look great, I should make some with Sam!!

Andrea said...

Guess where I was this weekend? RICHMOND! But Evan wasn't with me. Next time I'm there, I'll have to ask you where the "nice" places are. We were at the convention center and couldn't find a decent place to eat!! Penny Lane Pub...blah!

Can't wait to take Evan to Chance of Meatballs. Preaton sure looked excited about it with his big ol' bag of popcorn!

The Johnson Family 5 said...

I love the fact that he fell asleep after the previews! AND the fact that the popcorn is just as big as him! What a fun afternoon!!!

Danielle said...

So glad the movie went well! I love his picture. You know, we took pey to see that one too and I totally missed on the picture in the first movie...bad mommy!

It looks like you guys had a great weekend!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad Preston enjoyed the movies! Seamus loves it, it is such a treat. Grace...not so much! But I am hoping to take him to see Cloudy, it was one of my favorite books as a kid. Great job on those cupcakes, Preston!

Caden and Mommy said...

We too had a McDonalds trip this weekend ... Caden was happy to see the pink bear in his Happy Meal and said, "oh cute" when he took it out of the box. Should I be concerned?!
Cute bowl on the head, it must have been the fall weather that had us all making cupcakes this weekend :0) Glad Preston behaved at the movies, and congrats again on the new job!!!

Jaime said...

Sounds like a great mommy/son weekend! Can't go wrong with a trip to the movies and McDonalds. We have yet to take Caty to a movie, but we've talked about it. Someday, although now with Hanna it would be a little more difficult - due to the fact that she still won't take a bottle and that she doesn't like to nap. I don't think the other movie goers would appreciate an unhappy baby. So it will just have to wait a little longer.

As always, it's great to see pictures of cutie pie Preston!

Mel said...

As usual Preston is adorable. and getting so big! I was so excited about your GREAT day in Court friday. Matt is finally getting that he deserves. Perhaps he will finally get that job serving fries and burgers- if he's even qualified to do that!

Mel said...

As usual Preston is adorable. and getting so big! I was so excited about your GREAT day in Court friday. Matt is finally getting that he deserves. Perhaps he will finally get that job serving fries and burgers- if he's even qualified to do that!

Laura Wolf said...

What a fun weekend! Glad the movie went well. You didn't mention how many bathroom trips you had to make. I took Audrey to her first movie at 3. Only 2 bathroom trips. I thought that was good. Yummy cupcakes. They are so much fun to make and eat!!

Melissa Swartley said...

Yay for a great weekend!!! Glad to hear that court went well and that cutie Preston had a fun time at the movies and McDonalds! I hear ya on the toy! You should see Zoe's face when she see's her toy now! I have to remind her that she is now 8 years old and that it's time to move on from the kids meals! Uggghh! They should have special straps with hooks under the movie theater seats to help keep them in a open position for lighter and smaller kids! My Akela is all of but 35 lbs at 4 1/2 yrs and still gets folded back up inside the theater seats! Too funny how Preston fell asleep! Must be the dark! Cute cupcakes too!

The Wymers said...

Sounds like an awesome weekend. I think it's hilarious that he fell asleep after the previews! Glad to hear that he woke up for you okay though and that he enjoyed the show! I have to wedge my leg in between my seat and Nikki's to hold hers down at the theatres, so I feel your pain there! The cupcakes look awesome too, good job guys!

Destini said...

I guess I started my kids early on the movies...we go a lot. Sometimes Trace does really well, sometimes I'm glad the movie is really loud so maybe all the other people can't hear him yelling... Wow, cupcakes, see, you are more domestic than me!

Michelle said...

Those cupcakes look so yummy! I am so excited for Halloween this year! Max is going to be a lobster :-)
I am not sure what the blog roll is but feel free to post my blog...it is no way near as interesting to read as your... i am somewhat blogger impaired..hopefully i will improve with time!!

Greene Family said...

It sounds like the two of you had a great weekend!! Love that the bag of popcorn is almost as big as Preston! He looks thrilled to be at his first movie! Too cute that he fell asleep after the previews though!
What a baker - those cupcakes look awesome! I love Preston's new fashion statement with the bowl too!
Congrats on the new job and for the hearing going fabulously in your favor!!

Unknown said...

Wasn't that a cute movie. We saw it in 3D. The kids loved it. Aidan kept talking about the ice cream scene for days afterwards. We actually took him to his first movie about a year ago or so....partly because of his older sister's wants and needs for movies. Our theater actually has booster seats which take care of the seats folding up...I didn't know about it until an employee mentioned it to me. Check it out and see. Pres makes quite the little baker too. Tell him I would LOVE to eat anything he bakes for me.

Kasia and Amelia said...

Wow, what a great baker! He is always smiling! I loe the cake designs, awesome yummy! I love the pictures.

Mandy said...

So cute that he fell asleep during the movie. What a great baker he is. Andrea would have loved to try out his treats with him. There's a party in the tummy! So yummy! So yummy!

Tiffany said...

Doesn't your theater have booster seat??? That's what saves my kids from falling through every time. Adorable little guy, he's growing up so much, I can't believe it! His bad hair day shirt is cute!

Katie said...

Yum!!! What a great baker! Love the pics! Cole has the same striped polo-The Children's Place is my fav place to shop! Happy Fall Y'all! :)

Tinka said...

So excited for you and your job and that Matt is getting what is coming to him!

Steve loved that book so I'm sure the movie was funny too. He's so cute on the movie seat!